Modelzone, Glasgow!

Hawkeyethenoo

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. The Birmingham store which opened recently seemed to get a lot of publicity, but this Glasgow store has been kept quiet.

Is it a 'soft' opening, as they say int he trade, and will there be a fanfare (thinking special offers here) later?

Thanks for the info, just like the other members I wasn't aware there was one planned in the St Enoch's centre. However will have a look next time I'm in the city, I can see this as complementing rather than replacing my normal haunts, but good news anyway.

I just hope this doesn't take business away from the existing (independent) model shops there. I have wondered how at least one of them survives.

That said, I may have to pop in. Anyone know the opening hours?

Interesting! Like everyone else I'm quite surprised by this. There seems to have been no pre publicity. Also looking at it from the point of view of supplementing existing haunts (in much the same way as I used the old Beatties!). Hope its successful- you never know this might make it more likely we get a Scottish Limited Edition. Tartan Pullman anyone?

• 1 month later...

I see on the Modelzone website that a second store is due to open at Silverburn on 02 Oct! Wow, no stores closer than Newcastle and now 2 in the same city in the same year!

Glasgow, Silverburn

ModelZone

Unit W12

Silverburn

763 Barrhead Road

Glasgow

G53 6AG

Opening Hours:

Due to open 2nd October 2010

That is strange. Can maybe understand having one in Edinburgh and Glasgow but two in Glasgow very strange. One must abstract custom from other. Just wonder if it could be temporary for Christmas. I understand Harvey Nics is opening Oct- Dec in Glasgow for the Christmas trade!

Very odd and a bit unfair, surely Edinburgh, Dundee, Perth or Aberdeen would have been a better option!

Edinburgh has got Harburn and Wonderland Models on Lothian Rd and so is quite well supported model wise. I'm not sure there is anything much in Dundee or Aberdeen , so these would have been much more obvious to me than a second Glasgow store. Truly puzzling. Just wonder if they are getting a good deal rates /rent wise, but then you would have expected the same of Dundee and Aberdeen given the number of empty shops about!

During my recent visit, I noticed that they were stocking some of the new standard issue Bachmann coaches. Two that I wanted, the new Blue/Grey Full Brake BG and the Newspaper Full Brake were in stock but were priced at £23.45 (the manufacturers RRP).

Not willing to pay that much for a standard catalogue issue I did a search on the Internet and found the same coaches for £17.50 each at The Signal Box (a Modelzone subsidiary!!). So even with postage of £4 I still saved £7.90 on the MRRP.

Come on Modelzone, lets have a common price (preferably the lower one) across all your stores. :D

I'd vote for Dundee..

I would vote that Invergowrie Model Shop get their act together and open on a Saturday. I'm shocked Perth has nothing despite hosting one of the biggest shows.

• 4 months later...

Having ordered the limited edition QQV Breakdown coach from the Glasgow store on their opening weekend, I was initally disappointed that due to an 'administrative error', the entire allocation had been sold and I was left empty handed.

However, I would like to express my delight with the service provided by Stephen in the store who managed to obtain the last 6 examples (all sold now) and kept one aside for me.

I was also made aware of an attempt by an individual to purchase all of them but thankfully I am lead to believe his request was declined!

Well done Modelzone Glasgow.

I would vote that Invergowrie Model Shop get their act together and open on a Saturday. I'm shocked Perth has nothing despite hosting one of the biggest shows.

I haven't been down past there in a while in the car, Been taking the train to Glasgow. Almost feart to ask if it's still there? Last time I spoke to Gus he wisnae a happy bunny.

I haven't been down past there in a while in the car, Been taking the train to Glasgow. Almost feart to ask if it's still there? Last time I spoke to Gus he wisnae a happy bunny.

It was there when I went through just after Christmas and surprisingly it was open.

I appreciate that the OP did diversify somewhat into detailing other model shops across Scotland but it seems my recently added comment about Modelzone Glasgow has brought this diversion back to the fore.

If you have comments about Invergowrie Models then perhaps a new thread is required. :)

Chris

I only found out about Modelzone Glasgow a few days before joining this forum, by chance I happened to be in Glasgow today.

No thanks!

If you have more money than sense, then it's the place for you.

I'll pop in from time too time to look at what I'll order on the net.

Regards,

Mark

I only found out about Modelzone Glasgow a few days before joining this forum, by chance I happened to be in Glasgow today.

No thanks!

If you have more money than sense, then it's the place for you.

I think that's a little bit unfair; Having a dedicated model shop in one of the shopping malls in the centre of Glasgow has to be a good thing, and I don't suppose the rent etc comes cheap ! I bought my Bachmann Postal Van there, and they have their other exclusives in stock, eg the Bachmann maroon ER GUV. I've also managed to pick up the odd reduced item there.

It is always interesting to browse some of the non-railway models there too, eg ships and planes.

Personally I'd rather support the independent model shop than the big 'toy' shop. Always had good and personal service from D&F models and the range seems to be better, see, I have looked at Modelzone, pricey for most things and will they get you spares or the little bits one needs? I doubt it.

Support your local model shop is what I say.:rolleyes:

Dave F.

Personally I'd rather support the independent model shop than the big 'toy' shop. Always had good and personal service from D&F models and the range seems to be better, see, I have looked at Modelzone, pricey for most things and will they get you spares or the little bits one needs? I doubt it.

Support your local model shop is what I say.:rolleyes:

Dave F.

I agree that we need to support our local model shops but why should ModelZone be discounted in that statement. Sure they're expensive when compared with Internet prices and I have only bought limited editions or reduced items from them but they are local to me. As for sourcing the little bits, have you asked? My other local model shop never has in what I might like to buy unless I want some furniture for a Doll's House! ;)

Hamleys is a toyshop; ModelZone IMHO is not.

Happy modelling.

Chris

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not Any More Its Shut And It Did On 14/9/13

Saw this and thought woohoo it's open again, but unfortunately not. Sadly missed. However there is a mini version in WH Smith in Sauchiehall Street. If you want to pick up some Hawksworth Crimson and Cream Stock for £43 then it's all there for you

Archived