Fallen leaves

Hi,

I've just been sticking a load of trees into my layout, and I would like to try and give a good representation of the leafy bed (leaf mould?) that you would generally find under established trees. I was wondering whether anyone's had any good successes modelling this, and if so, using what methods/materials?

Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Gold

Some of the coarser flocks might work, I think it's the Peco ones that are like small rhomboids and more like a leaf than the woodland scenics foam. Mix a couple of the brown shades to get variety.

There are some German firms that make laser cut leaves for HO, I saw them in Continental Modellers Nurenburg report but I can't remember the manufacturer and they were expensive when I looked them up at the time.

Tea leaves?

Absolutely, dry crush a bit for OO scale, and it is perfect, mix green tea and ordinary for a colour variation and spray over with Testors dullcote or an acrylic artists matt varnsh. It seems pretty indestructible, fades a bit with age, great for piles of autumn leaves or a scatter around trees.

Stephen.

their products look very good.

I particularly like their Earth Powder.

earth.jpg

It's a cruel close-up but it shows the variety of particle size and the tone; a useful bald patch disguise!

A little goes a long way.

Another item of use is the 16pence budget Sainsbury's pack of mixed herbs, comes with "sticks", leaves, and "dust" in a nice green/ brown mix! I use use old packs forgotten in the kitchen...... seriously why buy in expensive, imported as well, materials when you have the real thing, soil, sand, gravel, leaves, vegetation etc, all available free or at low cost?

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

I particularly like their Earth Powder.

post-1-12807451113_thumb.jpg

It's a cruel close-up but it shows the variety of particle size and the tone; a useful bald patch disguise!

A little goes a long way.

Another vote for this product.Very useful.

• 1 month later...

1) Grab some handfuls of fallen leaves (it's spring there, so perhaps they'd be a bit moldy), toss them in a blender with a bit of water, and purree. Use a plastic drinking straw to force down any reluctant participants.

2) Scoop out the mess, dump it into an old T-shirt and squeeze into ball to force out the moisture.

3) Spread out the chopped up stuff on a cookie sheet and dry at lowest oven setting when SWMBO is out of the house.

4) Once dry, pass the mess through a tea strainer so you'll have a fine and coarse grade. There: now you have a cheap and realistic material for a forest floor that really looks like dead leaves. Spread as required, and add suitable twigs for broken and fallen limbs to suit.

Archived