Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

Castlemaine-Maldon branch this afternoon. Needless to say, I didn't notice the coffee cup until I got home!

post-7286-0-87244100-1428163753.jpg

I quite liked your "Coffee cup with diesel locomotive".

The cup adds a human touch to the impersonal diesel loco, a reminder of the man human who brought it to this place... One pictures that person reaching up to place it where it now rests, and wonders whether he/she finished his/her coffee before leaving it.

I've added the adjoining picture, my own creation making use of yours, entitled, appropriately, "Diesel locomotive without coffee cup". This must be viewed as a companion piece to yours, to point the message that a coffee cup may say much more to us than the facile supposition that it is merely a convenient way of stopping one's coffee running away through one's fingers.

Edit: punctuation.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This must be viewed as a companion piece to yours, to point the message that a coffee cup may say much more to us than the facile supposition that it is merely a convenient way of stopping one's coffee running away through one's fingers.

Do you have any evidence that this cup ever contained coffee? It may have contained tea, hot chocolate, cup-a-soup (with croutons), 6 spare fixing screws for the battery box cover, or the driver's false teeth.

• Like 1

Do you have any evidence that this cup ever contained coffee? It may have contained tea, hot chocolate, cup-a-soup (with croutons), 6 spare fixing screws for the battery box cover, or the driver's false teeth.

No evidence is needed. The photographer identified it as "the coffee cup", and one accepts that it represents coffee cups as one knows them. If a sculptor showed me a statue of "Aphrodite at the Water Hole" should I demand to know if it's really a depiction of the goddess and not a Cockney landlady?

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If a sculptor showed me a statue of "Aphrodite at the Water Hole" should I demand to know if it's really a depiction of the goddess and not a Cockney landlady?

Certainly you should. Do you believe everything you are told? Expect an election candidate at your door shortly.

• Like 1

Certainly you should. Do you believe everything you are told? Expect an election candidate at your door shortly.

Ahah! Politicking is a different matter.

The General Election candidate for my party arrived on my doorstep a couple of days ago with over a thousand leaflets for my "box", to be delivered ASAP. The chats I have with those locals who take an interest will be useful when I move onto door knocking; I'll have a better idea of local sentiments and what strengths and weaknesses to stress or gloss over as appropriate. One of our local councillors is up for re-election too; I'm one of his subscribers - he's a good man and I'll have to do my best for him as well.

It'll be an interesting few weeks; some fun and a lot of bloody hard work.

• Like 2

A little post production...

med_gallery_6994_3599_345510.jpg

The original of this image can be found in my Gallery http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/67115-steam/ I was unhappy with the image straight out of the camera but wasn't sure why. If you see the original you can see the high vis jacket of the driver (or other footplate staff!) and an item of high vis clothing in the "spectacle plate" of the locomotive. (Is that the correct term for non-round front windows?!) Anyway all I have done is selected the items using photoshop and de-saturated them and it no longer draws the eye in the way that the High vis did (doing its job I suppose)

Edited by Rumblestripe
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

In the fading light of late evening at Huddersfield station on 13th April 2015, the late running 20:11 departure to Manchester Airport waits at the platform.

• Like 2

Not particularly creative and its definitely been done before, but its certainly different from my normal style. I tend to focus on the locomotive, maybe the whole train if easy to fit in. It was such a beautiful day today, I wanted to include the train as a feature of the landscape so tried something a little different. There was scope to zoom out further, and the photo quality isn't quite what I'd hoped, but I'm still pretty happy with the result:

post-7423-0-76527000-1429733945_thumb.jpg

• Like 3