Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

Crop brutally?  At times certainly.

Rule of thirds!  Rules are made to be broken and at times this rule needs to be.

Agree on both points, particularly that rules are made to be broken - practically a sine qua non of creativity.

Rule of thirds!  Rules are made to be broken and at times this rule needs to be.

Of course, to suggest otherwise would be stupid. But as a general rule it works, and it's a first resort, like converging lines to a vanishing point, or triangles.

Not all rules have to be broken all the time.  Though suggesting it always looks edgy and suggests great knowledge. But for someone trying to find their style it doesn't seem helpful to take away what is considered by most effective photographers to be the basic visual language of the medium.

Of course, to suggest otherwise would be stupid. But as a general rule it works, and it's a first resort, like converging lines to a vanishing point, or triangles.

Not all rules have to be broken all the time.  Though suggesting it always looks edgy and suggests great knowledge. But for someone trying to find their style it doesn't seem helpful to take away what is considered by most effective photographers to be the basic visual language of the medium.

True, Dick, and as with the advice traditionally given to RAF personnel - that rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men – one should try to learn and understand the rules before one considers breaking or bending them. Having said that, disobedience of the rules of thirds etc. isn't a matter of life and death, and deliberate or accidental photographic imaging can produce striking effects. These can be used inappropriately, of course, and can be an irritant when they simply become clichés.

To raise another point, we see some beautifully photographed pictures, following all the rules, of locomotives which might be better placed in the “Locomotive portraits” thread. If it's not over-egging the pudding, we could also have a “General photography (railway related)” topic, and encourage contributors to post to the appropriate threads.

Edit: Added preceding quote from lightengine.

Edited by bluebottle

Maybe it's the open space far top left above the footbridge that distracts. Would it work better with the top cropped off? And a bit off the left? Might lead the eye around a bit better from the brolly via the underside of the footbridge to the train. I'm not sure though.

post-6971-0-56520800-1426949650.jpg

This thread's rapidly turning into "my favourite footbridge photos" !

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Is this some form of GW ornamental gate post at the end of the line?

Severn Beach - February 2015.

Quite possibly as that side of the platform was the bay.  A bit of delving on the 'net would seem to confirm it as the end of a fence which was there in 1931

http://www.pilningvillage.co.uk/sbgwrstation1931.htm

Thanks for that illustration of severn Beach. I did a Google search, but didn't come up with that one.

Sometimes a train might spoil the picture - here's the ex-LSWR mainline running through Talbot Woods. Although I drive over the bridge in the picture everyday going to work, I've never ever been on the next bridge along. So I rectified that today, hence this shot.

post-6880-0-48647500-1426980229.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Certainly shows up the lack of radical imaginative thought with the new Reading station.

And if the artists impressions are in any way accurate, the same could be said for the new Crossrail stations.

An opportunity to create something architecturally beautiful and functional sadly missed, unfortunately.

Apologies for the thread drift.  I'll hop off my soap box now. :offtopic: