Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

There must be miles of old Broad Gauge rail scattered around ex-GW territory, being used as fence supports. This is at Winterbourne near to the South Wales mainline.

Of course the line via Badminton has always been "narrow gauge", so Swindon must've recycled the old rails and used them wherever they were required.

post-6880-0-68677000-1430664161.jpg

• Like 3

An OTT shot for the Bank Holiday.

Somehow the colouring reminds me of those railway annuals I got when I was a youngster.....

post-7286-0-28565900-1430748961.jpg

Well, pixillate me pink, Peter! Be interesting to see where this might take this thread.

Going by the Plate-Layers hut, am I right in thinking that's the Broadstone - Wimborne section, with the tunnel a few hundred yards behind you?

The (relatively) newly rebuilt Reading station taken from a Piper PA28-161 Warrior II.

My flat is only just out of shot.

Obviously taken fairly recently judging by the scaffolding on Reading Bridge and the work in progress son the new foot/cycle bridge over the Thames.

Going by the Plate-Layers hut, am I right in thinking that's the Broadstone - Wimborne section, with the tunnel a few hundred yards behind you?

Not quite Matt, but the same line, so well spotted! 

This is near the former Stapehill Abbey (between West Moors and Wimborne). We're looking towards Wimborne.

Difficult to believe this was once the main Waterloo - Poole/Weymouth double-track mainline. Even the Bournemouth Belle was occasionally diverted this way if there was engineering work on the later direct route.

Not quite Matt, but the same line, so well spotted! 

This is near the former Stapehill Abbey (between West Moors and Wimborne). We're looking towards Wimborne.

Difficult to believe this was once the main Waterloo - Poole/Weymouth double-track mainline. Even the Bournemouth Belle was occasionally diverted this way if there was engineering work on the later direct route.

Not too far off then. It's a shame the Broadstone to Wimborne preservation plan fell through.

Had a pleasant walk along an old railway trackbed last evening - totally different weather than the heavy rain of today. Though the line closed to passengers 51 years ago and to freight some 38 years ago, remnants remain if you know what you're looking for.

Is there much of the old route near West Moors?