Hornby Chip

Mike Smith

Hi All

Total newbie question ...

Seems to be a distinct shortage of the Horby DCC chips (stating obvious)

I have a number of Hornby DCC Ready locos ..

Is it simply a case of just getting another chip from another manufacturer, and if so which is the best value?

Thanks for reading

Mike

Hi Mike

Yes I noticed the same when in my local model shop last week....maybe you could try a few mail order outlets for them before resorting to other manufacturers, perhaps give a few places a ring first. I happen to mostly use Lenz decoders, mostly the Lenz Standard....but its about £18 minimum.

Good hunting.

Bob

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

To test the water, have ordered two Bachmann decoders from Hattons @ £9 each, not expecting too much - acceleration and deceleration not an issue at the moment. Loft layout in it's infancy.

Mike

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

To test the water, have ordered two Bachmann decoders from Hattons @ £9 each, not expecting too much - acceleration and deceleration not an issue at the moment. Loft layout in it's infancy.

Mike

Bachmann are cheap & cheerful but good for the price. I wouldn't buy Hornby decoders ever.

I agree with the above, don't buy the cheap Hornby decoder.

They have a better model available (Hornby Sapphire) retailing for just under £20, but there are plenty of competent alternatives from reliable manufacturers (e.g. Lenz, TCS, Zimo, ESU etc.).

If you only want a cheap model, the Bachmann 3-function decoders (made by ESU) are decent performers, but you cannot expect the best performance from any budget models .......after all, that's why they're cheap !

The Hornby chip will fit Farrish 66's, 60's and all other pcb Farish locos, their own Bachmann chip is to big laugh.gif the only problem to date with the Hornby chip, going up in smoke, was the Farish EE type 4 (class 40) its on its third chip, next time its back to 12 volt and get rid.

mr B

The Hornby chip will fit Farrish 66's, 60's and all other pcb Farish locos, their own Bachmann chip is to big laugh.gif

I have to agree with that statement. I could not get a Bachmann chip in a Bachman pannier, the Hornby decoder is much smaller and will fit in OO gauge steam locos. There are better quality decoders out there but for £10 a pop you can't go far wrong with 1 I think.

I use TCS decoders and I find them hard to beat as regards price and preformance

Had been considering the TCS M1, although it's double Bachmann and Hornby price, but seems to have a lot going for it.

Thanks to everyon for the feedback.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree with that statement. I could not get a Bachmann chip in a Bachman pannier, the Hornby decoder is much smaller and will fit in OO gauge steam locos. There are better quality decoders out there but for £10 a pop you can't go far wrong with 1 I think.

I use the TCS DP2X-UK in Bachmann Panniers - at the upper end of budget price* but works a treat, drops straight in and plenty of settings available (speed curve, lights functions etc.)

(*£18.41 at DCC supplies. Other DCC shops are available!)

Keith

I use the TCS DP2X-UK in Bachmann Panniers - at the upper end of budget price* but works a treat, drops straight in and plenty of settings available (speed curve, lights functions etc.)

(*£18.41 at DCC supplies. Other DCC shops are available!)

Keith

I totally agree with that Keith I have 1 pannier and 08 fitted with this chip and they run beautifully. But at approx double the cost of Hornbys sometimes it is better to go for budget (especially when you have 300 locos or so to chip)

Bachmann are cheap & cheerful but good for the price. I wouldn't buy Hornby decoders ever.

I completely disagree. I have 2 different Bachmann decoders. Both accept CV3 (acceleration) but completely ignore it & shoot off at maximum speed. They are now relegated to function-only in my DVT's & I will steer well clear of them from now on...unless I see another cheap & its for function-only of course!

The Hornby R8249 may support a limited amount of functions, but have always performed well for me.

Hornby chips in stock @£9.95 Post Free at DC Kits 01132 563415 8am to 1pm Closed this Friday & monday due to holidays.

Hi All

Total newbie question ...

Seems to be a distinct shortage of the Horby DCC chips (stating obvious)

I have a number of Hornby DCC Ready locos ..

Is it simply a case of just getting another chip from another manufacturer, and if so which is the best value?

Thanks for reading

Mike

Lenz Standard in stock at DC Kits @£16.50 each Post Free. 01132 563415.Charlie P

Hi Mike

Yes I noticed the same when in my local model shop last week....maybe you could try a few mail order outlets for them before resorting to other manufacturers, perhaps give a few places a ring first. I happen to mostly use Lenz decoders, mostly the Lenz Standard....but its about £18 minimum.

Good hunting.

Bob

I completely disagree. I have 2 different Bachmann decoders. Both accept CV3 (acceleration) but completely ignore it & shoot off at maximum speed. They are now relegated to function-only in my DVT's & I will steer well clear of them from now on...unless I see another cheap & its for function-only of course!

The Hornby R8249 may support a limited amount of functions, but have always performed well for me.

What do you mean by "shoots off at maximum speed"

If you really do mean shoot off at max speed you normally need to cut the capacitors off and its uncontrollable. I assume you meant it just ignores the delay you set though?

What do you mean by "shoots off at maximum speed"

Exactly that.

I can write CV3 & read it back. When I set a speed, the unit immediately reaches that speed. This was fitted to a Bachmann class 150/1.

I experienced the same with a Bachmann 8-pin chip too. I can't remember which loco this was in but definitely one already equipped with a socket.

Deceleration worked normally with both.

Both work properly with Hornby chips.

My control system is an NCE powercab, but as CV3 is correct, I can't see why there should be an incompatibility.

• RMweb Premium

Its horses for courses, whilst decoders like Lenz are acknowledged as being amongst the very best they come at a cost, and you have to ask yourself what you want from your decoder. The blanket ' never buy Hornby decoders' is based on a problem they had with the R8215 when they first came out and is not so valid now. The subsequent R8249 may be a basic decoder but I have lots of locos running with them and they give no problem at all, so for steam locos that do not need lights etc they are a good and viable option at a cheap price I have used the R8249 alongside the TMC decoders and find no discernable difference in basic mode. I have also used Bachmann basic decoders for one or two of my locos but find them a bit bulky. I have not used the Hornby Sapphire yet. For my favourite locos I install Lenz gold as I wish to 'tune' their performance a bit more. So decide what you want to achieve with your locos and make your decision from that, if you can afford the top of the range then thats fine, if not then cheaper alternatives are around.

.......For my favourite locos I install Lenz gold as I wish to 'tune' their performance a bit more.

If all you want to do is "tune performance", then the Lenz Gold is no different from the cheaper Silver and Standard models which all have the same motor drive.

All the Silver and Gold do over the Standard, is add more functions and features.

All the Gold does over a Silver is add the facility for USP (so you can add a Power 1 module) and a SUSI interface (to attach a piggy-back sound module). I think one of the function outputs is higher rated too.

So decide what you want to achieve with your locos and make your decision from that, if you can afford the top of the range then thats fine, if not then cheaper alternatives are around.

Whilst that's true, IMHO it would be a bit of a waste to base ones entire or majority DCC experience on inferior capabilities.

Basic, budget decoders have their place, but it might be wiser to aim a bit higher for the average loco. After all, you wouldn't fit cheapo tyres to a £30,000 BMW, Audi or Mercedes-Benz, so why skimp on putting at least a medium price decoder into those £70, £80, £100 and £120 RTR locos ?.

To put it perspective, top end decoders can cost £30 to £40 upwards, so £15 to £25 isn't that high a price to pay in the big scheme of things.

Exactly that.

I can write CV3 & read it back. When I set a speed, the unit immediately reaches that speed. This was fitted to a Bachmann class 150/1.

I experienced the same with a Bachmann 8-pin chip too. I can't remember which loco this was in but definitely one already equipped with a socket.

Deceleration worked normally with both.

Both work properly with Hornby chips.

My control system is an NCE powercab, but as CV3 is correct, I can't see why there should be an incompatibility.

As Craig said above the caps might still be fitted to the motor. I have a Hornby Pannier which came with DCC fitted. 9 times out of 10 when I switch on my NCE Power Pro at the wall it takes off at full speed. Once I have it run in i will open it up & take a look but I expect to find caps there.

Its horses for courses, whilst decoders like Lenz are acknowledged as being amongst the very best ....

...... For my favourite locos I install Lenz gold as I wish to 'tune' their performance a bit more.

I find Lenz decoders to be "average", but expensive. I get better control out of other makers.

Ron has covered the issues over Gold/Silver/etc motor drives being identical.

• RMweb Premium

I should have clarifed my posting about Lenz Gold, They were on offer when I bought them, I took them more for their potential than the differences between silver/gold and standard Lenz decoders, however I stand by what I have written £30-40 is fine IF you have that kind of money to spare and if you need the potential extra functions etc. in the future, but if you are new as the OP is then start simply learn about DCC and its potential, learn about the different decoders and their functions, then purchase appropriately and the best you can afford, you will find lots of opinions on this site many are different but all are valid that is the beauty of it, I am not an expert on DCC just an enthusiastic user who is still exploring the potential, but it is easy to get carried away and spend on things that you may not use, look around listen to others experiences AND the knowledgable people found on this site:smileclear:.

Archived