Frankfurt to London ICE-3 Test

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, Mr Bulleid experimented with windowless carriages in the form of his Tavern Cars, which were not a great success. The City and South London, not a railway renowned for its panoramic vistas, tried the idea as well.

In my early days at Eurotunnel, a passenger complained that her son was very disappointed that he hadn't been able to see the fish outside 'like in your the advert on the television'....

And a former member of ET staff actually looked at the possibility of turning that sort of thing into a reality, albeit as part of an advertising display :blink:

anyone know or have any idea as to the actual time it will be pulling in?

I was under the impression there were to be tests, or a demonstration carried out within the Channel Tunnel, presumably at night under a possession.

I imagine the run to St. Pancras International is predominantly a PR exercise, so I guess they'd prefer it to be pathed during daytime for the benefit of the media.

Our special agent at Cheriton may have the answer?

I was under the impression there were to be tests, or a demonstration carried out within the Channel Tunnel, presumably at night under a possession.

I imagine the run to St. Pancras International is predominantly a PR exercise, so I guess they'd prefer it to be pathed during daytime for the benefit of the media.

Our special agent at Cheriton may have the answer?

Not yet, I haven't- :rolleyes:

I hope to hear soon- if they do an evacuation exercise (which would be under a possession, at night), I'm going to try and get an invite. I have a couple of feelers out for that- I've taken part in most of E*'s tests as a guinea-pig, and in ET's ones as part of my job. I particularily enjoyed the one where I was a casualty- I tried some method-acting on the French firemen, who weren't amused...

• RMweb Premium

I think you may find the ICE3 'gliding' into St Pancras behind a pair of Eurotunnel Krupps locos.;)

Yes, it would appear to meet regulations all over Europe but as soon as it meets UK metals at the Folkestone terminal it is a no go!

UK over regulation as usual, especially as HS1 is built to French LGV spec and ICE3 is passed for use on French LGV routes.

Keith

Not sure this is a case of UK over-regulation. Neither HS1 nor the French TGV lines are fully compliant to the European specifications which means national approval is needed for those aspects. This wouldn't be too difficult to obtain for the UK, since the systems are pretty much identical to those in France, but it's a fair amount of paperwork for a single train move. This isn't just a UK issue, there have recently been safety approval delays to introducting new trains within Germany itself and various shenanigans about who can use each others' high speed lines in Benelux.

I've been looking on iPlayer for this, but can't find it. Do you know what the program was called, and what time it was on?

I've just looked for it on iPlayer. It took me all of 20 seconds to find it !

What were you doing ? smile.gif

I thought at the time it was a lengthy piece, but having seen the timings on iPlayer, I see it lasted 3 minutes ! huh.gif

How perceptions change during and after an event !

Here's the link........ You and Yours - Monday 20th September 2010

You'll find it between minute 21:45 and 24:52

I've just looked for it on iPlayer. It took me all of 20 seconds to find it !

What were you doing ? smile.gif

I was looking at some very brief descriptions for any mention of 'train' or 'ICE', neither of which were in any of these descriptions.

Thanks for the link by the way.

Anyway, I was hopeing by listening to these I might pick up an answer to my questions regarding train length and the NOL Eurostar sets, but this particular puzzle is still unresolved.

• RMweb Premium

Just wondering, presumably for regular opperation in the UK beyond the confines of Eurotunnel, the ICE would require a yellow front ends to meet UK regs. Anyone facy having a go at what such a combination would look like? (The Eurotunnel Krupps do have yellow ends of sorts although not to the same extent as regular UK locos)

Just wondering, presumably for regular opperation in the UK beyond the confines of Eurotunnel, the ICE would require a yellow front ends to meet UK regs. Anyone facy having a go at what such a combination would look like? (The Eurotunnel Krupps do have yellow ends of sorts although not to the same extent as regular UK locos)

I'm not sure that it would, being equipped with high-power headlights, and operating on a railway with (theoretically) secure fencing. I suspect, however, that the colour of its nose is the smallest difficulty it will have to surmount.

• RMweb Gold

Quite likely it won't as (already noted by Fat Controller) it has high intensity lights and in addition to that it will be running on a line where there are no on-track personnel etc when trains are running. No doubt it will be somewhere in the Access Conditions - which are probably on-line somewhere (or should be).

But yellow paint would be a minor consideration alongside the mountain range of safety paperwork to get it through the Tunnel in the first place :blink:

Quite likely it won't as (already noted by Fat Controller) it has high intensity lights and in addition to that it will be running on a line where there are no on-track personnel etc when trains are running. No doubt it will be somewhere in the Access Conditions - which are probably on-line somewhere (or should be).

But yellow paint would be a minor consideration alongside the mountain range of safety paperwork to get it through the Tunnel in the first place :blink:

I shall ask herself about the Access Conditions.

For those like Keith who think that over-regulation is a British condition, I would recommend exposure to some of our continental neighbours. When ECR wanted to introduce the Class 66 to France, the French insisted that they receive black and yellow chevron markings on part of the front 'to make them more visible'; this despite the whole of the front end being painted yellow, and the locos carrying headlights, and no French loco having yellow ends since the days of the 25kV centre-cabs. There an ongoing dispute between France and Italy about the use of TGVs to Milan and Turin because of signalling compatability issues- this despite the fact they've been operating this route for about 15 years.

A couple of extracts taken from an article in yesterday's (3rd Oct) Le Monde newspaper........

( translated by Google...)

"On Tuesday, October 19, Station St Pancras will be the scene of a double premiere. The arrival in London of a train not carrying the colors of Eurostar but those of DeutscheBahn (DB) and designed by Siemens rather than by Alstom.

For what it defines as a "presentation" DB - which will train, for technical reasons, towed by a motor Eurotunnel - planned to invite many guests and give some solemnity to the event, which will German railways to apply online for a very high speed between Frankfurt and London. ..........

.........DB proposed - and got - to organize the night of October 16 to 17 evacuation exercise "actual size" with a Siemens train, three days before his inauguration on the docks of San Pancras".

Automatic translators, don't you just love 'em. I like the bit that reads "which will German railways to apply online for a very high speed between Frankfurt and London".blink.gif

I don't think it means booking it online over the internet. biggrin.gif

So it looks like the DB train will be in and around the tunnel from the 15/16th until the 19th, before being towed up to SPI for the PR exercise.

No word yet on when it will return back through the tunnel, but the stay in London will no doubt be only for a very brief time.

Trenitalia are buying fifty high speed trains from a Bombardier consortium and possibly might operate to London in the future,this will give some interesting journey oportunities ,even Eurostar are considering buying Velaro sets that would be one in the eyey for the French! I hope DB run to London as this will give us a choice of journeys and connectivity to Denmark and Sweden from northern Germany .

• RMweb Premium

???????

Eurostar ARE the French !

Current Eurostar makeup (according to the company's own information) = SNCF (55%), SNCB (5%) and LCR (45%)

Therefore only 55% French!

Keith

P.S. note total is 105%!!!

Current Eurostar makeup (according to the company's own information) = SNCF (55%), SNCB (5%) and LCR (45%)

Therefore only 55% French!

P.S. note total is 105%!!!

Definitely something wrong with their figures there. No wonder they they couldn't make money. biggrin.gif

I've got a feeling that the LCR holding is 40% not 45%.

LCR is UK state owned and each of its three businesses are to be sold off; including HS1 and its share in Eurostar International.

SNCF are seen as likely buyers which will take their share to 95%.

Archived