Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi Mark,

Hope you're surviving OK under all that snow up there. Ours is finally starting to melt here today.

Rannoch Moor looks better every time I look at your thread. I love the subtle weathering on the TTAs and you've done a great job on the 67. It comes out as quite a decent model with a bit of work on it I think. Glad the photos of 37423 were useful.

Keep posting please! Looking forward to coming up to see it sometime.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Pete/Dave for your comments - Pete I wished I had a modelling project in the car after the 4 hours I spent sat on the M8 the other week - I still had to work when it snowed as I can walk to work in a different store when it is really bad but only had to do that once so far - hopefully we won't get it too bad this time! Dave, not had chance to do the white lines on the wheels yet but the photos will be great for that and just let me know when you are about next.

Had my Christmas visit home this week and on Tuesday called in to the Train Shop in Morecambe to pick up a few things that Richard had for me. Bachmann always seem to deliver the days I appear and the good news was that instead of just getting the genny autoballaster wagon 2 flat top ones were also waiting for me. Hopefully the other 2 curved tops will appear before I next get home so that my rake for Rannoch will be complete. 37425 has been put to work on them straight away as I have seen a few youtube clips of this loco earlier in the year on the line although the wagons were much filthier! I also got a SDJR 7F 53809 as I travelled behind it on the NYMR and always liked the design of those engines from pictures in books so it has returned to the mainline and will be performing on the Jacobite stock in the future on Rannoch.

Not sure I'll get much more done this week so in case I don't get the chance before, I'd just like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and thank you for following my thread this year, for all the comments and support and all round general banter! And finally I hope that Santa is good to you all - the real one has been in our store and he thinks I have been good! So we'll wait and see.

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-023349600 1292630514_thumb.jpg

post-6863-072462500 1292630535_thumb.jpg

post-6863-056000000 1292630594_thumb.jpg

post-6863-018893400 1292630620_thumb.jpg

post-6863-095623200 1292630640_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Just a few photos of the Christmas Steam special to Fort William and Mallaig. WCRC provide the mark one stock and 6100 Royal Scot has turned up seen here heading North at Rannoch. Just a little bit of weathering around the chimney, cab roof and some real coal in the tender along with some gunmetal and rust shades in the cab, tender area along with a little coal spilt out has added to this one.

Andi - they do indeed need a good coat of grime at some point - I have a few ideas once the rake is complete.

Alex - there might be something small from Santa that will make an appearance at Rannoch!

Hope you all have a great Chistmas and new Year, thanks for following my layout thread and especially to Andy and the team that make this all happen!

All the best.

Mark

post-6863-0-02496900-1293153839_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-81232600-1293153857_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-61444800-1293153886_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, to you and your family.

Those new ballast wagons look great behind your 37.:D Look forwards to seeing your Rannoch Moor updates in 2011.

Cheers Peter.

Always!! Yes I have a few which will be entering the paint shop in the new year. Although mine don't light up like yours do Roy!

A.

Still working on that concept, prototype done but needing much refinement.

R.

p.s happy new year!

• RMweb Gold

Hey Mark,

Happy New Year!

Am conscious that I have not commented of late...but that doesn't mean I haven't been tracking your progress ;)

The layout has really evolved this year...and as for LL 37425 :O

Keep it up...this is going to be a great layout and very photogenic.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

Happy New Year to you to!

Funny I was just looking at your layout on DEMU the other day when I was adding some details of Victory Road and thought that I hadn't had chance to see your recent updates - it gets to that busy time of year when I am lucky to get anything done at all but now Christmas is out of the way work settles down a bit so looking forward to getting back into it properly. I have got some work done this year need to add some photos soon - got the next row of edging stones on the platform down and also the brick work. I have also made 3 rectangles out of some square strip for the flower beds on the platform as well. Next job is to get it all painted and must get the station finished before Model Rail Scotland as well.

Hope all is well with you,

Mark

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the link there - I was just about to add an update and you saved me searching for my thread so great timing. 37423 is one of my favourites and once it has a sound chip added it will be a regular on my layout there are some pictures of it further back in the thread and it was created by Andi (Cairns road works) you'll find his thread in weathering and painting for some amazing models well worth a look!

I have made a fair amount of progress since my last update. I have added the various bits of plastic card to the platform top to create the raised stones next to the edge slabs and then the brickwork beyond this. The plain brickwork is a compromise as I can't find anything to match the block paving pattern that is so common in town cnetres, drive ways etc here but once painted like the end section already complete it looks quite good. The base colour is railmatch West Coast railway maroon with other brick shades then brushed on over but it seems to work. The station building has seen some interior walls go in and details added to some rooms such as lower walls with boarding - textured card from the works was used and works well for this. I have added some interior doors from card, added a counter with folding lifting hatch top and even the glass cake stand in the tea room. Some fire places have also been added. There is still more to do with tables, chairs and till to be made and in some other rooms I will recreate a bunkhouse as found at another station on the line so some bunk beds will be added soon. The glazing apart from the bays is also fitted using the left over plastic from the slate/brick packs and Klear to fix. I have also added the final 2 curved top autoballasters as seen behind 37422. If your on youtube viewing Ians link above you might also find footage of 37 427 at Rannoch just as 422 is on my model. My wagons do need some dirt added to complete the train at some point! 37516 is also seen at Rannoch with my maroon mk 1's in tow which have just had a bogie swap with bachmanns replacement commonwealth packs as they will slowly be transformed into current WCRC stock.

Hope you like the progress, any questions or comments always welcome,

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-99342000-1295655862_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-16573900-1295655884_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-65131700-1295655906_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-20939500-1295655929_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-15106300-1295655948_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-96461500-1295655967_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-75731800-1295655986_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-69325200-1295656005_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have been busy working on all those little interior details for the building - so far made 4 bunk beds and 2 singles with matresses for the bunk houses and I have also made a till for the tea room although that will be getting painted later. I had some metal castings from the wills signal box interior kit spare which I have added to the room which I am basing as the old staion masters room with an arm chair, desk, old fashioned telehpone on the wall and the idea is to have this looking quite delapidated as though it hasn't been used since the 80's. The tea room has a clock and will get tables and chairs and a mirror at some point. The passenger service on Rannoch is slowly improving with todays new addition to the fleet. I went to Harburn Hobbies today to collect my model of 150 252. It has a Bachmann 21 pin decoder added along with the ploughs and dummy couplings and has gone straight into service. Eventually it will be upgraded with sound but I will need to sae up a bit for that. Anyway here are a few photos of what I have been up to and now back to the madness of tables and chairs!

If you are going to Glasgow at the end of the month come along to the DEMU stand and say hello as I will be there over the 3 days and I will have my (finished) buildings with me and it will be nice to meet in person.

Any questions or comments always welcome,

Thanks for looking,

Mark

post-6863-0-51633600-1296583487_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-18444700-1296583517_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-60485700-1296583544_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-49429700-1296583609_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

(Phew.....:blink: :blink: :blink: ). Well it took all night with interuptions from the wife and the 4 year old, but I'm finally caught up with a great thread.

I hope to be at MRS at the end of the month and look forward to putting a face to a name.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark, I see you've changed the gravel/ballast bit on the platform. Were you just not happy with it?

The building's looking great, superb detail, and the grass between the tracks is looking really good too.

Glad you like the 150, it's a superb model, isn't it?

Alex a 150 would add some variety to all those superb locos in your fleet - just saw your 80's line up and it reminded seeing the REX 37's you have, of a photo I have seen of them on a train heading up the Cumbrian Coast towards Workington with steel for the old rail plant. I have been doing a little research into the line for a future project after Rannoch is finished!

Mark - glad you like the layout - hopefully will see you at Glasgow at some point. 4 is a dangerous age - that is when I first played trains and I am still doing it at 30!

Mike - The 150 certainly is a nice model - I really want to add sound to it to go with the 158 I already have which has a SWD chip in it but must resist for now! The platform hasn't changed - I am guessing you are referring to the bunk bed shot which is taken on the car park next to the entrance to the station - I put some tarmac in this area using Jarvis scatter but having just watched Micheal Portillo on iplayer i see this may need to change to some lighter shades of gravel. His footage from Rannoch is brilliant and there are so many details I can now pick out in time to add to the layout to help capture the atmosphere of the place better - hopefully this year I will actually get to go as we plan to take a trip up the line and I will be planning a stop off at Rannoch which will allow me time to see everything for myself.

My next post when I put the photos on the PC will show my insanity in making the details - I am making 8 chairs for the tea room and each chair has 10 tiny parts in plastic strip to assemble and then paint! Most only being 5-6mm long.

Thanks,

Mark

I put some tarmac in this area using Jarvis scatter but having just watched Micheal Portillo on iplayer i see this may need to change to some lighter shades of gravel. His footage from Rannoch is brilliant and there are so many details I can now pick out in time to add to the layout to help capture the atmosphere of the place better - hopefully this year I will actually get to go as we plan to take a trip up the line and I will be planning a stop off at Rannoch which will allow me time to see everything for myself.

I missed the Rannoch episode and tonight's but I've taped them to watch and keep! I've done Fort William to Mallaig but only made it as far as Balloch going up from Glasgow. One day!

• RMweb Gold

I missed the Rannoch episode and tonight's but I've taped them to watch and keep! I've done Fort William to Mallaig but only made it as far as Balloch going up from Glasgow. One day!

Hi Mike,

Some recommendations....

Keep the tapes and get them transferred to the pc asap!

Take a week out and do all the lines in a concentrated effort!

Join DEMU and come along with the Edinburgh group trying to do the lot in a weekend (sometime during the summer)

Join DEMU and get some more modelling donew on our Roadshow events!

Join DEMU Scotland and get fit humping our Roadshow gear in and out of exhibitions!

Thanks

Hi,

James the long grass in the sidings is the packs of gaugemaster long grass - it comes in three colours for about £7 a pack which might sound a lot but it is great to work with. It is on a webbed sort of backing and can be cut with scissors into strips clumps or as I did into tiny time consuming bits to glue in between the sleepers. Just stick down with PVA and then ballast around it later it as with other details it helps to create the right effect. I shall soon be experimenting with static grass as I have now obtained a fly swatter from B&Q and a tea strainer provided by my mum. Hopefully this will allow me to create the effects I want on the layout.

Mike - I too have never been on the WHL although my wife has promised to go on a trip - it didn't happen last year but I know she is keen to go on the Jacobite so just need to get a time planned. I think Phil's message contains a subliminol message for you to join DEMU! I joined last April, suprisingly the wife thought it was a good idea, and it has been very worthwhile as there is a good crowd up here to share ideas and meet up with at the shows. We even had a meet up at mine in January so you could have come for a play on Rannoch! Hopefully see you at Glasgow.

Mark

I too have never been on the WHL although my wife has promised to go on a trip -

Hopefully see you at Glasgow.

Mark

Luckily i have been on the W H L as far as Oban, my girlfriend and i have been talking about going further north towards fort william.

Hopefully i will be going to the SECC at Glasgow for the model railway exhibition. I will be going on the Saturday as my girlfriend will be at work so i will be in need of doing something while i am up here.