Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi Everyone,

With the 4 boards of Rannoch currently seperated it has stopped me playing trains and progress has been good. The viaduct has been the main focus as this board normally sits up tight to a wall and behind the door to the room so is normally quite difficult to do any work on. My first job was to fill in using plastic strip and section around the top sections of the stone pillars. I even used some of the Wills rivitted steel plates that come with the bridge parts around the tops on the facings just to add a bit more detail. Once this was all set inplace with some EMA plastic weld it was on with the painting.

With it out I had masked up everything and put some large sheets of card around the board so I could spray the structure with some BR Brunswick green. I used a full can of the humbrol spray but this gave all the underside and frame work parts a coating so at least it all looks green now. As this was too dark and glossy for what I wanted I have then painted out all the facings on both sides and most of the visible steelwork inner parts of the frame using railmatch acrylic LNER Darlington green. There are a some photos to show the progress so far.

Next the plan is to glue on all the upright posts to support the railings - 64 of these in total and then some tiny T section supports also need adding in at an angle from the base of these back towards the main structure before the railings can finally be added. I am then going to add in the stone pillars which will be made from wills sheets cut to suit. I'll keep you posted as it develops. The final photo is just for fun - taken in natural light - yes the sun was really shining the other day. Despite having had 37411 in my collection for a while I have never paired it with 37425 even thought they were often seen together. In reallity I still need to add a sound chip to 411 before I can really pair them up to run like this.

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-07299800-1302564387_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-63331300-1302564406_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-12944000-1302564444_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-19518800-1302564493_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-34266400-1302564548_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Mark,

That viaduct is looking really good,B) the rest of the layout is really coming together too. I really must try and do some more on Llanbourne. Like the 37s too, can't beat a large logo Tractor.:D

Cheers Peter.

Mark,

Looking good. Not sure if you know, but you can get 'Railtrack' green from precision paints which is what you need for the viaduct. That's the precise colour you need. Without wishing to be a nit picker for a superb layout, the colour you have is not quite blue enough and a touch too browny I think. All shaping together nicely though... bring on 2012!

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments.,

The wife suggested throwing some model people off the viaduct - she did crash my kit built timber wagons off it a while back and nothing got damaged which was lucky for her! :D

Andi - I searched to find the best match a good while back and just couldn't find the right railtrack green anywhere as I thought one wasn't available but thanks for that I will keep an eye out for some as it will make a big difference to get it right. Have to get some at York!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I agree with previous posts the viaduct is really looking good. Love the colour, it really does bring it to life.

The Large Logo Tractor also adds a bit of life too!

Excellent modelling, that will stand you in good stead for your next layout a model of the Forth Rail Bridge! :lol:

Hello everyone,

Alex - My next layout plan, which won't be for a while, is set in the Northwest and will only have road bridges depending on final design. Got to have somewhere to run my DRS fleet many the hard work of Andi!

Just a little update to show the fiddly bits being added.

First using some 1.5mm I section to create all the uprights for the railings, have been superglued in place.

The railings themselves are added using some L angle 1.5mm section or the top parts and some .75mm square strip for the 2 lower rails. EMA used for this.

The final stage is to add the 1.5mm T section to create the angled sections that infill from the corner of the base of the uprights to the upper part of the main decking beams that run below the trackbed. These were a pain to add to his side whilst seated in front of the layout as the strip was cut with an angled end before being lined up marked and cut so each part was a tight fit to push in place before adding some more EMA to fix. Due to the curve and lack of engineering precision each part is different in length so took a few hours to get them all in. I could just leave the other side without but if I don't add them it will niggle away at me so they will be added soon! Stonework will also start to be added when I get the time. This whole scene is being created from the inspiration gained from a photo in Rail Express back in 2006 on the sleeper operation with 37 421 crossing a WHL viaduct with the purple sleeper coaches! Once its all complete with the help of Andy (Backwaters Scotland) and his superb sleeper set we just might be able to capture the same shot in model form!

Hope you like it,

Thanks for looking,

Mark

post-6863-0-65407000-1303170020_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-30123900-1303170059_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-16853900-1303170119_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-67090600-1303170168_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I really like the bridge Mark. I have spent the last week searching the web for a bridge I would like to add to my layout. I have noticed a large amount of bridges built to the same design as yours, but on my search I came across these images collapsed bridge . Some will have undoubtedly seen it before, but it was new to me and maybe others.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Kev,

Getting your excuses in early! Trackcleaning whats that all about! The tighter curves and points really do blacken up the viaduct stays fairly clean but the track bed is wide enough to run the large rubber over now and again so its not too bad to keep clean. By having so many droppers from each section as well seems to have worked well as I only have a couple of dead spots in the fiddle yard area to iron out and both of these are just down to fishplates so a bit of solder run into them will stop those.

Mark - I have seen that Bridge colaspe as it was on the news when it happened mainly due to the fire that broke out. As far as I know the bridge was rotten and collapsed when the train was crossing it which derailed the last few bogie tanks which then toppled and caught fire. Lucky no one was hurt in the incident.

Thanks Pete as well for your comments glad you like it.

Mark

Hi Everyone,

Having been down to York show today - almost like going abroad with the sun and temperatures at 23C! My other layout Victory Road headed South and will hopefully be host to a wide range of traction in the future but you'll just have to wait and see. Heading back up North with me were three more masterpeices from Andi (cairnsroadworks) which have just worked light engine up to Rannoch ready to take up engineer train duties in the area.

The trackwork is creaking under the weight as the trio are stabled in the sidings at Rannoch with DB red 60011 ahead of 60059 still in loadhaul and 60014 with EWS beastie stickers also present. All 3 have been weathered to represent them pretty much as they are today with the loadhaul stickers faded and scraped from the washer and odd roof panel from a triple grey machine, even the newest painted DB red showing signs of track dirt and exhaust staining. I am really pleased with how 60014 has turned out as this has a touch of iron ore staining to its weathering which gives it a different look and also has some very nice detail touches such as the odd silver door. Heres a few quick pictures that don't really do them justice but I will get some more soon. (I need to get some better ones to post of 059) Hope you like them.

Andi, many thanks for doing these 3 they are superb!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-88444900-1303599727_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-25716400-1303599773_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-80928000-1303599797_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-64644500-1303599840_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-74380300-1303599859_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What's happened to 059?! Status 'X' already?!

They look great on Rannoch Mark - Victory Road is safely in my house but not unpacked as yet! Had a good time at the York exhibition despite the lack of D&E layouts - looking forward to the next one!

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Andi,

Yes it was good to finally meet you and have a wonder about the show - good for getting various bits - I ended up with a good selection of grass fibres and had a look at a demo being done so hopefully I will be able to get the scenic effects right. The DB red one looks just right on the layout as adds a nice splash of colour!

Don't worry about 059 which looks great - I just didn't get a decent photo of it under the room lighting when I get chance I'll take some better ones!

Had a disaster today though as my 30 odd year old transformer for powering the points decided to blow up, switched everything on and then wondered what was making a funny burning smell. No damage caused and fortunately I had a much newer version spare which was quickly installed with about half hour to spare before Dave came round!

Phil, don't worry about those 60's, the recent engineering works have seen the line upgraded :P and these are the new light weight re-engined versions! Can you guess 60's are amongst my favourite machines!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi everyone,

Thanks Keith/Andy for your comments glad your still liking the progress.

Having watched the wedding and done other jobs about the place - I spent a bit of time chilling out to Friday Night Floor Fillers on radio Forth and set about turning my £4 fly swatter into a static grass tool. I have seen them on the net before so I thought it would be fairly straight forward. Once I got the 2 caps off the handle to undo the 2 screws I was then able to get a look at the workings to the swatter. The razor saw was used to cut off the head a bit like a small tennis racket before hand. The tea strainer was donated by my mother and this was cut in half on the handle part. The two metal wire ends from this now slot into two holes I drilled inside the main plastic base of the handle to create a good fit. The two red wires that originally went into the head are now soldered onto the strainer mess and the black wire now goes through the bottom of the handle through a hole I drilled and soldered to this a long bit of wire with a crocodile clip on the end which I have had lying about for years. I even retained the red LED to warn when the tool is in use. Not sure what volts it produces but seems to have a good kick from the large spark that comes off it when touched against metal when switched on. I got some grass fibre at York as I saw the colours that i want on the layout and had a very quick test to see if everything worked as planned. I must admit that I suprised myself in the results and once I get used to it I should be able to create the effects I want on the layout. And as for a name it can only be "Grasscination" which is a play on the Alpha beats tune Fascination which came on whilst I was making the device!

Hopefully you'll see the results over the next few weeks on here!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-76434800-1304120932_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-26358400-1304120947_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-62506300-1304120960_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mark, nice to see some Brush Type 5s at Rannoch. Love the photo of 11 on the viaduct, superb! Might have to get a model of 011…….

Not sure if you are aware but 11 has an oil leak so will need to go to Boxenby for attention! :D :P

Hi Everyone,

With the rain coming down and then sunshine as well everything green seems to be springing up everywhere at Rannoch! With my "Grasscination" tool now ready for use along with a box of scenic materials and the wall of trees I have been building up ready to get used I have made a start on the scenic effects i want to try and create.

I have added the final sections of cable trunking from Ten commandmants at the south end of the station complete with wire cables added under the track. This will allow me to compete the ballasting at this end of the layout.

I have been collecting up various Hornby skale scenic trees on various visits to Harburn Hobbies and thanks to Andy (backwatersscotland) info that Wonderland were selling off there stocks with about a 1/3rd off I went in today and bought a few more. I decided to start positioning these on the layout and I am very plesed with how they look. I am going to add a few more large Sycamore trees to add more height and a few more pines will also be added along the back section but the variety of trees by Hornby are quite realistic and are not too bad value either especially with the number required. I will need to build up the ground cover and shrubs before they get fixed in permanently but when the sun came out today I decided to take a few photos to share. The very last shot is proof the sun shines occaisionally in Scotland!

The final bit of work is on a small grassy mound towards the south end of the layout. This had a base of hanging basket liner. Onto this I added some of the woodlands scenics polyfibre material, a bit of PVA and this was fixed in place. I have then added glue to this and covered with a layer of Javis bush/shrub foliage cover and it has created a kind of brambly looking effect which I quite like. I will add some more bits to all this to finish such as flowering weeds etc once I have worked out what I want and how to make them. This area is edged with static grass - summer mix with the yellowying shades coming through. I also sprinkled on some dark green scatter to the wet glue to show some fresher blades/weeds flat to the ground level. Its still wet in the photos so I will have a close inspection when its all dry to see what I need to do to improve on my techniques.

Anyway hope you like the results, let me know what you think.

My next update - hopefully Sundy night should include the pictures of me dangling from a famous Scottish Bridge! (Just hope theres no Haaa! or you might not see anything)

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-79339000-1304718940_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-52935700-1304718971_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-63751300-1304719005_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-90041800-1304719056_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-81399500-1304719097_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-36906500-1304719142_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-50162100-1304719169_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-16023200-1304719190_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-86753900-1304719215_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-59045400-1304719246_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-07013400-1304719291_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Mark,

Looking fantastic. Would love to see it in the flesh (one day may be). The trees do look good. I'm nursing seamoss just now. Got about 30 of them growing just now, just babies though. I could do with some of that sunshine your on about. lol

Best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

Looking fantastic. Would love to see it in the flesh (one day may be). The trees do look good. I'm nursing seamoss just now. Got about 30 of them growing just now, just babies though. I could do with some of that sunshine your on about. lol

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Watch this space - AND the exhibitions bit!

Should be appearing somewhere in Scotland NEXT year!

More once confirmed......

Thanks