Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Thanks for the comments - always welcome,

Eddie - that second link has so much on it which will come in really handy - I've put it on my favourites toolbar for easy use!

Thanks Chris - your far too kind with your comments!

Dave - I didn't realise adding my caravan this week was so topical what with Top Gears antics tonight - perhaps you'd like to see it go up in flames to help you get over those bad memories! I should have rail mounted mine! Now to model the TGV12! No not really but I am considering a bit of a makeover of my model of 55012 which I had sat on Rannoch the other night. I was never a fan of the Deltics as I had never seen one in action until the other week when I travelled behind 55022 on the East Lancs and having seen it on the WHL well it makes sense to possibly add this to my fleet at some point - it will need sound too!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-58341900-1310949463_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-40552300-1310949498_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

I had an idea to produce a burnt out former 4 wheeled planked box van - the sort you find the bodies off in fields as stables and stores etc as I thought this would look a little different. I had a parkside kit which I had built up as a ply sided body so had a spare set of ends and doors. I also had a floor off a VEA underframe kit used under an ODA so used this as a suitable base. I stuck the corrugated ends onto the floor and then added some uprights from thin T section and using some plastic card punched through to create the end metal plates. I used one door and cut out some planks and then bent the metal strapping about to represent heat damage. The planks have been added from bits left over from an old Billings boat cut scored in half to create finer planks. The roof is wills corrugated tin sections bent to shape cut and stuck in sections. Some old brass frets was used to create the strapping for the rear doors simply stuck in place and bent to match the original profile.

The plan is to paint it in a suitable smoked black shade and then rust the metal sections to suit on top. With some highlights of scorch marks etc if I can get this right. The floor and inside will then get a layer of coal dust and debris mixed into it from the remains of the timber body work and roof frames that have collapsed into it to create a nice sooty mess. It all looks a bit too clean just now but hopefully should come together as planned. Heres a few photos to show the built up van body.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

post-6863-0-95042800-1311540756_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-12076000-1311540805_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-46756100-1311540853_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Look forward to seeing the van when it's blackened up!

Later on in the year, I might have something really special that would look superb passing through your Rannoch Moor station... Andi knows what I mean! :D

Mike

Hi Mark, I like the idea of the burnt out van, I saw a brake van at Leeds a few years ago and it looked a very interesting project, I look forward to seeing it finished, all the best Andy.

Thanks Andy - I think I know just the one you mean as I saw it one year at Glasgow on a great little layout can't remember the name off hand. I don't think I had seen it done before like that one and as I had the odd bits thought this would make a nice little project. I had planned to make it even more burnt out that it looks now but that would have required a few more bits of twisted brass strapping but it should turn out ok. It won't get painted for a while no until after I move so I can get a spray can on it first!

Mike - I am intruiged to know what this new machine could be - is the clue in the photo I posted? Anyway it can always come for a run at Rannoch in the future! After I've moved and the layout is set up again in full it should see some quite interesting stock getting run in for use on an end to end layout!

Here is an overview of the main station board - I have completed all the static grass on the rear bank and planted some trees - quite a lot in fact and all from Hornby Skale Scenics range - I originally tried out a few and I am really impressed by them and ended up getting quite a lot more as they do create some variety and are well made. I have added in the paved slabs at the entrance shelter and fixed the langley phone box. It still needs the bike rails added and a bit of tarmac and kerb stones to finish and a telegraph pole. One of my favourite pairs of DRS 37's are stabled at Rannoch as well with 37261 and 37038 seen in the sidings on a route learner trip!

Hope you like it,

thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-57116500-1311720301_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-23804600-1311720321_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Looking great Mark

I am sure its on your 'to do list' but once that front baseboard edge is painted (black?) it will really finish off this board really nicely.

Great work...in relatively short time too :O

Hi Mark,

37261 looks at home but then it should being an ex Inverness based beast.

End to end layout :mellow: do tell more, is this the Cumbrian one you have been talking about. Are you going to have more room in the new house?

Hi Pete, whats the go with painting the fronts of the baseboard? I recently done some work on Llanbourne and need to paint the front again. It was grey but I was thinking of having a change I was thinking black. What do we think boys.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

End to end layout :mellow: do tell more, is this the Cumbrian one you have been talking about. Are you going to have more room in the new house?

must admit...I had to reread that twice...dish it Mark :D

Hi Pete, whats the go with painting the fronts of the baseboard? I recently done some work on Llanbourne and need to paint the front again. It was grey but I was thinking of having a change I was thinking black. What do we think boys.

Peter, hi...funny you should say that. Being old school I used to favour matt black but I opted for gunmetal grey on my last layout which I thought was quite smart so I will use that again.

Over to you Mark...

Hi Peter & Pete,

My future planned Cumbrian layout is just ideas at the moment with a fair bit of stock collected for both time periods! But this will be a while off before any real building work takes place but I will have plenty of room for it when I've moved if all goes to plan. Certainly need somewhere to run all my DRS stock.

The end to end layout is one we are helping to build for our DEMU area group layout and some of the stock that will be running on this will need run in on a roundy which should see some interesting traction appearing! Andy (backwaterscotland) has been building the fiddle yard boards for this which I did go and assist with a few weeks back and we had a hot sunny day to work in the garden on these.

On the subject of painting the egdes I have given this some thought recently. Andy told me about using Tuffcab which is a strong black paint used on speakers and things it dries quickly and gives a good hard wearing coat - I have not seen it yet but I understand this works well as he has put this on the fiddle yard boards. The wife suggested green to match the building and viaduct paintwork on mine though which I thought would work well otherwise I was going for a dark grey shade?

Ideas and Suggestions welcome on the paint front?

Thanks,

Mark

Mike - I am intruiged to know what this new machine could be - is the clue in the photo I posted? Anyway it can always come for a run at Rannoch in the future! After I've moved and the layout is set up again in full it should see some quite interesting stock getting run in for use on an end to end layout!

Nothing particularly to do with any of the photos you've posted... here's your clue, though! :)

post-6964-0-63820800-1311790757_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well Mike I can't guess what it is you're referring to ha ha! Funny thing is that I am doing something for both of you that would look good together!!

I've spent the evening sanding and filling windows in metcam pullmans. That's all I'm saying.

37s looking good Mark. Now stop mentioning all these other layouts and get finishing Rannoch so you can start on mine!!

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Mark, those DRS tractors look good stabled up. The drivers must love the route learning trips up to Rannoch Moor!

Those trees look really good and certainly blend in nicely behind the station. I think I might have to get you down to oversee the grass, plants and trees around my shed as you seem to be quite the horticulturalist!

Mike - sounds like I will need to be getting you on the operating team for Rannoch with that train - Andi has already reluctantly released 2 superb WCRC 37's that could haul those to me! One of my former staff members a really nice girl went to join the traincrew on the Royal Scotsman - I told her what type of locos she would see in case any one asked her!

Andi - Only 4 weeks to go before we move and then I have space to create a workshop and start the build for your layout - I have learnt some new techniques though from the work on these other boards so yours will be good as a result and lighter then Victory Road!

Alex - the works manager likes to send the crews up to Rannoch they certainly are very lucky. There are a couple of new DRS ones currently in works one of which will be quite special due to the detail differences and the base model required to create it! I'm sure the nice works manager will have some official press photos when its released! I'll bring some 60's for an exam if you do get me down! I will be creating a lot of depot vegetation and debris on a layout for Andi in the future which is even more fun to do because of the junk and things you can blend into it!

Thanks,

Mark

I might be persuaded, Mark! :) Andi did a Royal Scotsman maroon Bachmann 37 for me a couple of years ago, and I've also got the ViTrains West Coast pack of 37 and 47, plus a Heljan West Coast 33, so there's plenty of motive power available!

Andi's doing 8 of the 9 Royal Scotsman coaches for me, including the observation car. The only one we've not yet worked out how to do is the ex-LNER carriage, as I'm not sure what it used to be and what model/kit is available of it.

I probably have a good few bits of 1990s/2000s rolling stock that could appear on Rannoch Moor if you ever fancy some extra bits and pieces making guest appearances!

Andi - good luck with the filling of the Met Camm windows! :)

• RMweb Gold

Andi's doing 8 of the 9 Royal Scotsman coaches for me, including the observation car. The only one we've not yet worked out how to do is the ex-LNER carriage, as I'm not sure what it used to be and what model/kit is available of it.

Mike,

The ex LNER Coach is well covered elsewhere - including on Scottish Modellers Yahoo Group.

What can I tell you...

Dining Car No.2, VICTORY - Oldest coach in the train.

1945 - Built by LNER as a Corridor First.

???? - Converted to an inspection saloon.

1980's - Renumbered Sc1999, Named 'Lochaber' used for Fort William to Mallaig trains.

No kit to make this one although it is possible that may be available in Worsley Works catalogue but I've been unable to identify which kit.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Mike/Andi - that is going to be some train load will look forward to seeing that one - my charter set is only 5 coaches with 2 locos top and tailed to fit but the layout can take a longer rake if it blocks the next road in the fiddle yard - it will blcok the front loop at the station as well. The longest train so far around my layout has been 12 Bachmann monster boxes with a 66 and 10 cement JPA's hauled by a Bachmann 150 just to see how much it could haul.

Andi thanks for the photo to my e-mail - it is superb! This DRS 37 is certainly going to be a special one in the fleet when you do all get to see it!

Thanks,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have not made any real progress of late on Rannoch mainly down to the fact we move house on Friday so everything has been going into boxes. A not so glamourous part of the layout but very essential not only for the move but also to keep the layout safe when it does eventually make it to an exhibition are the end frames to bolt the fiddle yard board and main scenic station board together. Nothing fancy just some timber screwed and glued together with a brace across the middle. Simple but effective. The bolts that normally hold the layout together in use then secure the end frames and the whole coffin despite its size is still lightweight enough to move about.

I am working out the best way to secure the two end boards together next - not so easy with the depth of the viaduct board.

I have also made a start on the work required to bring the 156 up to a better standard. Thanks to Charlie at DC Kits I picked up an Express models DCC light kit and Sound decoder at St Andrews which has the excellent recordings by Leggomanbiffo. You'll find his projects on youtube and this is the first decoder I have with his sounds on which I am very impressed by. The engine sounds are very well mixed but it also has excellent play value as I call it with superb horns, door noises, guards whistle, buzzer etc. I've only been able to give it a quick test so far and not for a full run on my layout but I am looking forward to getting this one into service soon! I also plan to add some Dapol light bars, a few passengers and that will be about it for now until Hurst redo their 156 detail kits.

Thanks for looking and hopefully you'll see a lot more progress in the coming months to get the layout finished.

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-59150100-1314049986_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-10437900-1314050007_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-34786800-1314050076_thumb.jpg

• Like 2