Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi Mark,

The layout is really looking good, the latest senic work has really brought the layout to life, the trees do look good it's something I need to get for Llanbourne.

Best of luck with your jump. :D

cheers Peter.

Hi Mark,

Like the latest grass developments.

Good luck with your abseil. I've only done free abseiling once and that was off a climing wall tower. Enjoy the adrenalin rush as you go over the side!! :D

Looking forward to seeing those pics!

Cheers,

Dave

Looking good mark. Hopefully I'll get to operate it one day wink.gif

I missed the running day you had due to work but work shouldn't get in the way now as I'm back on alternate weekends instead of every weekend.

See you at Perth.

Cheers

Martin

Hi everyone,

It has taken longer than planned to add some pictures of the abseil as have had to do quite a few jobs around the house and tidy ready for putting it on the market tomorrow. Anyway the abseil was great fun and if you ever get the chnace I recommend having a go. I am hoping to get hold of some better pictures from Mags who runs the charity at some point but you'll have to make do with the wifes efforts. The weather turned just as we were kitting up with a complete downpour that obscured the views across to Fife. The previous night had seen thunder and lighting as well and as we were heading up to get on the walkway under the train deck of the bridge a 170 went over and it sounded like it was thundering again! To get to the actual bit to go over we had to walk along the mesh walkway which was nice to look down from as the ground falls away sharply and also gave me the cahnce to get a look at the detail close up of the bridge metal work which might help me get Rannoch right! You kind of don't get much chance to think about what you are doing as the safety rope gets attached to you and you then have to climb over the railing and get down onto a girder beam before they can attach the rope you control yourself down to the ground with. That was the total surreal part for me as you climb over the railing of the walkway and you need to look where to put your feet but your also aware that people look very small as they are 165 foot away from you! Pretty cool though. A proper Sunday Roast followed at the Hawes Inn as a few of our friends had ventured out to watch!

Thanks for all your support and sponsership as well. I set a target of £250 which has already been achieved. I have also added a video on youtube following the link:

Martin - I will be at Perth both days if you need a lift up let me know. Hopefully you can make it round at some point for a play although I have had to take it down for the time being but can still get to work on parts of it. I've already got you down for the operating team!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-68350000-1305505387_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-94581100-1305505404_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi SwissRailPassion,

Thanks and glad you like it. Unfortunately progress has been very slow of late as we have put our flat on the market in the last few weeks so been busy organising things for that. The only modelling I have done of late is to recreate a modern waiting shelter - the stainless steel types that are appearing at lots of Scottish stations. I will hopefully have this with me at Perth on the DEMU roadshow stand but this is destined for another Scottish layout that is being built by our area group.

The layout it still acessible and I do plan to get some bits done on it when I have a couple of weeks off at the end of the month so I will hopefully add some updates during this time. This work will include some more scenic areas especially on the back of the station itself and I am also making an RETB mast to go with the various relay cabinets etc around the south end of the layout.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi SwissRailPassion,

Thanks and glad you like it. Unfortunately progress has been very slow of late as we have put our flat on the market in the last few weeks so been busy organising things for that. The only modelling I have done of late is to recreate a modern waiting shelter - the stainless steel types that are appearing at lots of Scottish stations. I will hopefully have this with me at Perth on the DEMU roadshow stand but this is destined for another Scottish layout that is being built by our area group.

The layout it still acessible and I do plan to get some bits done on it when I have a couple of weeks off at the end of the month so I will hopefully add some updates during this time. This work will include some more scenic areas especially on the back of the station itself and I am also making an RETB mast to go with the various relay cabinets etc around the south end of the layout.

Thanks,

Mark

hi mark

i will be with you all day sunday helping out on the DEMU stand, i am also bringin 37081 to show

carl

post-6809-0-36628400-1308119559_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Carl,

Very nice 37 will look forward to seeing that and your good self at Perth - I just found out you had joined DEMU last night so it will be good to catch up then!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Carl isn't quite through the door...

Now I'm not Membership Secretary - I can't do instant membership!

Not that I'm expecting any problems :huh:

See you all at the show.......

Hi Mark,

Carl isn't quite through the door...

Now I'm not Membership Secretary - I can't do instant membership!

Not that I'm expecting any problems :huh:

See you all at the show.......

hi mark

not bad for a 43 year old Hornby molding..lol R.751

Phil i will come cash and form in hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

It seems like quite a while since I have done anything on Rannoch what with getting the house on the market and so on and with the layout in sections can't even run any trains so it was nice to spend the other weekend at Perth show with the DEMU area group and run some trains on Mikes layout as well as do some modelling on the DEMU stand. Nice to see so many of you there as well. Carl your weathering masterclass on that BDA was very useful, just need to find some time to do my wagons after I've moved! Got the 2 ODA's finished whilst I was away not such a simple job on the underframe but worth the effort for something a bit different.

The grass has certainly grown at Rannoch and is now quite long in places as I found whilst trying to get trackside. The typical Scottish weather prevails and whilst it is nice in the pictures I took, the rain hasn't long passed as can be seen from the puddles in the tracks left by the engineers working on the viaduct. I have also added a blue 26 to my fleet thanks to Richard at the Train Shop in Morecambe last week. I am not planning to back date my layout but having ran a few sound fitted 26's and 27's on other layouts I thought I should have something to take to play with. The Model Rail article on weathering is also very tempting to have a go at so at some point this will get a full weathering treatment and sound fitted as well.

I have done the scenic work at this end starting with the base cover of the gaugemaster large grass matts on the flat areas and hanging basket liner for the rest. Onto this has been added some grass tufts cut from the gaugemaster rough grass matts, polyfibre and Hornbys fibre foliage. The trees are Hornby Beech and the woodland scenics branchs have been used to create some large gorse bushes with some yellow paint flicked on. The polyfibre is covered with javis premium foliage and dark green scatter with some gaugemaaster leaves added on top in places to represent vines/brambles ivy etc and works well. Around the trees I added some burnt grass and brown scatter where things don't grow so well and then a couple of different static grass mixes have been used to cover the area using my homemade grass tool (£4). I sprinkled on some more dark green scatter in amongst the grass fibres whilst the glue was wet and this helps to add even more ground cover texture and break up any even patterns and looks like smaller groud cover weeds. I really need to add in some daisys and dandelions at some point when I can find some suitable flocks for this but hairspray or spray mount should work fine to add this in later. It is still drying in the photos but is starting to look really good especially at tracklevel views which aren't so easy to photograph. I also finished the ballasting at the front with the track added with gaugemaster rough grass cut and planted first. Some Javis scenic water has been added to create the puddles. It works well but dries out so takes several layers to create the effect. I will probably still need to add in some more when this coat has dried.

Hope you like the progress, any questions or comments always welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-62094900-1309901316_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-75859400-1309901345_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-00902700-1309901413_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-23371600-1309901467_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-14307500-1309901491_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-84446000-1309901553_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-70232700-1309901590_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

Always nice to see an update, the senics are looking good, I like the tree on the front part of the layout, is that a Hornby as well?

I think the class 26 looks very at home,:D this could be a slippery slope, you will be buying wagons for it next, may be a class 27 to keep it company.;) I must admit I was tempted with a 26 & 27.:rolleyes:

Love to see a pic of the ODAs a couple are on my to do list.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Nice progress Mark on the scenics.

The fence makes all the difference too...(I have to do something similar to that one...but in 2mm :blink:)

LL tractors and now class 26's :dancing:

Hi SwissRailPassion,

the stainless steel types that are appearing at lots of Scottish stations. I will hopefully have this with me at Perth on the DEMU roadshow stand but this is destined for another Scottish layout that is being built by our area group.

Thanks,

Mark

Would I know this station???????????? I hope so because I'd love to see a model of it.

or am I way off the mark here?

I think your layout looks cracking and I hope to see it down Ayr way next year if I can attened, but please let me know if there are any more outings planned for it.

I am really begining to like the look of 26's as most of our fleet carry the Westie so I think I can see one in our future.

All the best,

Mark

Hi

Thanks for the comments - I knew posting photos with a 26 would just encourage you all. When I build my next layout in the distant future the 26 can get used occaisionally along with a RF red one as 025 if I ever get one but I can take it to play on other peoples layouts when we run them in the Blue era Rannoch will remain post 2000 for now and the only LL 37 will be 425. My 37/0 in LL has gone away to works and will return as another DRS machine as 059 in the future.

Peter - I will get some pics done of the ODA's at some point with a bit of detail on the solebars as once these have been altered it comes together really well but that is the important and slightly fiddly bit to get right but suprisingly they came together ok. I have found some pics on line to work from so one will be in EWS livery and the other in a very battered RF red and grey scheme as both were running in this condition 2002-2004 from what I can find so will appear on Rannoch in the future.

Mark - The shelter is for Edinburgh Southside which should be appearing next Feb. The fiddle yard boards have taken shape this week so it will all come together but I'll be shot if I reveal any more but you probably do know about this one.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Everyone,

Further progress today has seen me bulk up the wooded area at the back of the station. All from the Hornby Skale Scenics range the largest ones are the value Sycamores which have some nice colour to them and don't look to bad angled carefully. There are several varieties of trees guessed at from photos and also from looking at the many trees in Edinburgh to get some ideas of what might be found in this location. There are many deciduous trees at the back of the station from looking at the winter time photos and to finish I will probably add in a few more pines as I only have the 2 so far again roughly positioned from photos. The section at the North end of the platforms has been fully treated with undergrowth, brambes and rough yellow grass and brown soily patches before the static grass has been added - some heath mix was scattered on to the wet glue as well to add in a bit of colour to the texture. I am quite pleased with the results of static grass this being the first time I've used it on a layout and it I would recomment having a go if you've not before. Especially when you can make a tool for a few quid to make it with. But if you do make one be careful - I got my first shock off it yesterday when I got a bit carried away sprinkling the grass fibres and it has a good kick to it! I won't be repeating that trick in a hurry!

The final photo should help to dispell those fears of going blue - The beast of the moor has been spotted at Rannoch! I know they might not be popular but I quite like them!

Hope you like the results so far,

Mark

post-6863-0-19754300-1310083083_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-72274800-1310083103_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-40179800-1310083123_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-02868500-1310083391_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-80047400-1310084361_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice work on the scenery Mark, the grass/trees etc. looks stunning. I might have to get you and Peter to come down and do some greenery for me!!

That is quite a change from a 26 to a 70! I often see them on my way home screaming passed on a Freightliner. I quite fancy an Original Railfreight 26, always did like them in that livery, or a really battered blue one. Can’t really justify one of those visiting Boxenby though!

Hi Mark,

Good to see some updates. This is looking really good. Static grass has long been an ambition of mine on WW and your efforts have convinced me that's the way to go. I particularly like your trees too. I know you said some of them were Hornby, but are they all? I've been looking for some really good trees for a while as a bit of variety to my seamoss ones (which I like but I think I need more variety). I've not really seen any that have convinced me yet, but yours do look good.

My one slight reservation really would be that you need some distant mountains on the backscene to really place the layout in its setting. That grass really has been a fabulous transformation though.

Disappointing to see the beast, interesting though it is. Seeing that 26, I was beginning to have hopes that you had seen the light and were veering towards the 80s. Oh well, there's hope that you may yet be saved I s'pose. Some 26s or LL 37s with some speedlink/timber traffic and mixed Mk 1s and 2s, and some Mk 1/3 sleepers would look superb. You know it makes sense. :yes:

Any luck with the house move yet? We've had a few viewers recently but no "bites" as yet.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Mark,

I too need to get hold of some trees for my own layout but never thought to look at the Hornby range- are all those trees at the rear of the station really all Hornby- as they are certainly effective. By the way I have more than enough 'blue'' stock I can let you have for 'Rannoch' - just don't turn your back! :yahoo:

Bill.

post-3775-0-66834600-1310115068_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What with all this blue talk I just thought I would add that Mark's next batch of blue stock - DRS Blue that is - is progressing nicely and should be heading north by the end of the month. There is - shock, horror - a mildly retro maroon one in this batch but I'll leave you guessing what it might be!

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on a mini project completed over the last couple of nights. Up until recently there was an old green caravan next to the old sidings in front of Rannoch Station. One of the recent release from Classix has a larger caravan which whilst not an exact copy of the real one looks near enough to me. After dismantling and a few coats of Railmatch LNER Darlington Green to match the rest of the buildings it was starting to look like the real one. The silver lining was added to the chromed parts and hinges etc to highlight some of the castings detail. The roof was painted in railmatch concrete as a creamy base to create the fibreglassed look but the real one seemed to be black in places with the amount of dirt, vegetation and probably mould forming so using a sponge a mix of roof and frame dirts and some highlights of concrete added to lighten. To finish a bit of varnish was added to the roof to fix a sprinkling of Javis Heath green scatter to create the mossy/lichen build up. The real thing had manky brown curtains which were added from an old Hornby house kit and finally a red gas cylinder has been added next to the old tow bar, made from an old plastic sprue offcut years ago! Just needs the wooden steps by the door when it finally gets planted on the layout.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking,

Mark

post-6863-0-93261500-1310773035_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-09934200-1310773054_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-25234000-1310773089_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-51812200-1310773106_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-54380100-1310773124_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Love the caravan. Well, actually, I can't stand it to be honest because it reminds me so much of a caravan I stayed in 1985 near Port Askaig on Islay while I was watching CalMac ferries come and go doing my geological mapping there. Dreadful experience. It was damp, smelly, mouldy and already decades past its scrapping date. I moved out to another caravan nearby as soon as I could. Those curtains, ahhh! Lovely modelling but dreadful curtains. Maybe the '80s weren't all I make them out to be sometimes, although that caravan obviously dates from several decades earlier. :D

Great stuff.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Mark. You have captured Rannoch so well like your deisels,the viaduct looks brilliant.I have just bought a dvd filmed on the line and when it reaches Rannoch it is just looking at your model well done ,hope your house move goesw well. Regards Chris.