Blue With Yellow Faces 1979 Era Layout + Scrap Yard

Brush47337

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this layout, absolutely fantastic with a great size and variety to it. Particularly love the original BR Blue HST and the Large Logo Class 50 (I might have missed it if it was already mentioned, but who makes that particular model?). Looks like a great variety, and I like the little scrapyard cameo scene.

• Like 1

Thanks YVM and Tangmere Tornado.

(Has to be a good reason for both those names)

YVM - I am on the lookout for a cheap Class 47 and 27 for the scrap yard. I want to model a sagging 47 with the engine removed - and also a fire damaged crispy 27.

Ebay prices are still £12 - £25 plus postage - even for ancient non runners Lima ones. I will have a look through teh rummage boxes at the Falkirk show in a few weeks - giving Warley a miss again this year.

TT - Large Logo 50 is from the first Hornby release of this class. Perhaps 4 years ago. It is a great runner - very smooth and great slow pulling power + lights. You can find them pretty cheap these days - they knocked out quite a few in different numbers.

Thanks for the comments

Stuart

TT - Large Logo 50 is from the first Hornby release of this class. Perhaps 4 years ago. It is a great runner - very smooth and great slow pulling power + lights. You can find them pretty cheap these days - they knocked out quite a few in different numbers.

The Hornby 50 came out in 2004. Doesn't time fly! :blink: :lol:

• Like 1

Hi Stuart,

That's some impressive progress you've been making recently. Weathering the track has really made a huge difference. I especially like the depot area.

I know what you mean about not being able to find time for a hobby though. Life really does get in the way sometimes!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 1

Thanks Dave (Waverley West) and Vac_Basher comments much apreciated

D9JEF - came through with the donor (sacrificial lamb) Class 47 for the scrap man Hornby Class 47 525 in InterCity grey with red / white stripes.

I will have a go at documenting my process in scrapping this - starting with a full repaint into faded BR blue and a re number. Then cutting and burning Etc till it looks something like this.

http://www.wnxx.com/...0502ahowitt.jpg

Photo URL lifted from WNXX site - Hope this is OK with Andy and Co - Photo is credited to A Howitt and shows 47 300 having been cut. (in my day there was no 47 300) The design of the 47 with a structural Monocoque body - resulted in a bend like this when scrapped with cabs and Engine still in situ. I hope to emulate this - and will attempt a scratch built engine and bulkheads etc.

Not sure what new number will be in my era 47's were only scrapped if accident damage - not many candidates - might have to cheat and pick an Eastfield one - I would have been sick off back in the day and scrap that.......!

WNXX has a fantastic gallery section of scrapped locos - sad but compelling viewing.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay D9Jef - snow and family got in the way (again). Thanks for the bump to page 1.

Hope this does not make you too sad but I have made a start.

1st Photo shows your donor Class 47 525 having been unloaded from low loader onto my cutting mat.

2nd photo shows the wee welders have made the first cuts.......sad.gif....... and strangely the silly wee painters are also working at the same time............. to paint the thing blue and renumber it.......smile.gif.

My paint skills are just about good enough for - scrap levels - but I am quite pleased with the smashed windows.

post-6993-078459900 1291833245_thumb.jpg

post-6993-047799500 1291833264_thumb.jpg

More will follow albeit - slowly. Still thinking about the bow - probably have to involve some time in the oven - obviously I will need to wait till wife and weans are out for that experiment.........blink.gifblink.gif ......wish me luck.

Stuart

• Like 1

Hi

Your 47 project looks well under way, although I have a better idea than putting the loco in the oven! :blink:

I would add excessive weight to the centre after cutting away the bodywork. This could be achieved by adding some metal weights or a heavy book on its end and leave the weight on the chassis for a few days and the result should be a certain sagging- just like the desired finish! ;) .

Regards

Lewis

• Like 1

Smashed windows look really good. Shame really as this was the first loco I ever 'flush glazed'. I think it was about 20 years ago I did it - where does the time go?

Keep the pics coming

Jeff

• Like 1

Nice idea Arpleymodeller - you must have been on more Health & Safety courses than me.......!

Or maybe you are just more sensible.

Might not be that hard after all - have a look at the bend already in these photos.

Glad my painting only has to be to scrap standards - talk about shaky hands.....,,,,,!

I will tidy this up - and have to admit I have used the wrong tin for the roof - picked up my BR Blue (not my BR faded blue I used for the sides) - oh well - roof will be going black(ish) soon enough - with blue showing through over the cabs.

The second picture shows the bend quite well and compares to the 47 300 link I posted a few days ago...... only problem so far is that Hornby use a fairly stout black chassis - which i will either need to bend to match the body....or cut away. As these pictures show - it looks wrong as the body sides and floor plate should be "as one" with a class 47 - and both would bend.

Having fun though - can't wait to get started on the faded yellow and blue, streaks. dirt and rust etc.

Jeff.......... I have decided to chose 47 272 as my victim. ....... It felt as though it was a daily visitor through Bishopbriggs back in the day when HA based - but I managed to see it on several English Trips as well - so it deserves to die.....! I appreciate that it actually survived to become 47 595 + 47 673 + even today it survives as 47 790 ........ but let's pretend it didn't,

post-6993-008627200 1292188023_thumb.jpg

post-6993-057358800 1292188045_thumb.jpg

Thanks for watching

Stuart

• Like 1

Hi

Funny you said Ive been on more Health and Safety courses than you as the college course Im currently on, the BND in Construction, has a unit on Health and Safety which Im currently studying! :D

The 47 looks good-although its sad to see any model destroyed!! :lol:

It needs some rust here and there ;)

Regards

Lewis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Im new to the forums but have been following this layout for a while. I have to say I really like it! I am currently building my own modern image layout (of similar size) and yours has proved an inspiration, especially where the inclines are concerned. I look forward to future updates.

• Like 1

Had no idea they "sagged".

Well, the ol' Heljan ones are prototypical then :lol:

(In all fairness, I must add that Howes - that is Heljan's UK dealer - sorted out my affected Heljan 47 very effectivly, unlike another manufactor.... :angry: So top marks to Howes/Heljan for that).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement guys - much appreciated as always.

Happy New Year to all on RMweb

Made some more progress on the scrap 47.

Firstly I corrected my "wrong shade of blue gaff" - then used faded yellow by adding white to the already faded Phoenix mix and added numbers.

Now as 47 272 - I managed to cut the thick black chassis to the same profile as my already cut body sides.

post-6993-0-91007900-1294314616_thumb.jpg

post-6993-0-60624300-1294314643_thumb.jpg

If anyone fancies trying this......score the profile onto the black chassis with a sharp scalpel - then "snip" the thick plastic away using pliers - it will break along the score line in short sections. Simple tip - but probably saved me a few fingers.

Didn't have to use the oven........... bending by hand once it was thinned - it took the shape quite well. I then used super glue to weld the body sides to the matching chassis profile and it has held my chosen banana shape.

Then comes the subjective bit........... rust and streaks - close up it looks like it was attacked by a foot long paintbrush (it kinda was) - but viewed as it will be from about 3 feet - I like what I have here.

post-6993-0-28594500-1294314657_thumb.jpg

post-6993-0-47778900-1294314689_thumb.jpg

Next stage will be position it at the back of my scrap yard behind my grounded Peak and 25. I will add loads of debris on the ground and at Model Rail Scotland next month I will buy some more mini welders and some ladders to climb onto this hulk. Not sure if I will tackle a scratch built engine - I quite like the void - might just add some bulkheads and some "junk" on the chassis to hide the bogie clips.

The last photos show 47 272 beside my Heljan pristine 47 337 (middle) and an other Hornby one 47 077 - albeit this was weathered before I bought it.

I have created something I wanted to do - not exhibition standard - but good enough for my "train set" layout and it kept me away from the telly and the mince pies for a few hours. Comments welcome.

post-6993-0-05985900-1294314703_thumb.jpg

post-6993-0-34542100-1294314721_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Stuart,

47 525 RIP - I think it looks fantastic now. I like the windows and rust streaking you have put on it but my particular favourite is the paint outlining what should be flame-cut and saved to be auctioned off.

I might be tempted to buy it myself...;-)

I might have to have a go at 'making' one of these myself.

Keep the updates coming and don't do yourself down as I think it would stand up at most exhibitions, especially as I haven't seen it modelled before.

Regards

Jeff

47272 looks amazing :D -one other detail that could improve its appearance is one of the cab roofs a bit damaged/removed as this is often seen on 47s in the process of being scrapped. The cab roof is made from fibre glass and is prone to being removed early in the scrapping process ;)

It does look really authentic, some bulkheads would be a nice detail to model too :) .

Regards

Lewis

As a first time reader (it's a long thread) I must say: What a great Dad!

Is this an alternate history type thing? I noted you have a statue of what looks like a German Panzer Grenadier outside the station.......

Nice work overall, really enjoyed following it along!

Best, Pete.

• Like 1