Blue With Yellow Faces 1979 Era Layout + Scrap Yard

Brush47337

Thanks for the encouragement guys - much appreciated.

Chard - Glad you like my wee world - no worries about offending me. I like some of the spacious trains in the landscape "less is more" layouts - but that is not part of my memory - I went to cities, big stations and big depots to see locos.

Russ - yes it is a bit RED - but I will attempt weathering soon thanks.

Gingertrainspotter (great name!) Thanks - depot towers are the excellent Express Models towers. Took about 10 months to arrive but worth it. I have 6 lamp post type and 6 wall mounted as well and maybe soon I will get them wired in.

Thanks again

Stuart

• Like 1

Very interesting to see the progress from basic boards to the current model. You've done agreat job, and look slike there is lots more fun to be had in adding details, weathering and the like. Perhaps when the layout reaches a stage you are happy with, it'll be time to get some of those locos weathered up ? Anyway, thanks for sharing and all the best,

Pat

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Roadstone + Unsoundmove + Poindexter

Roadstone - I wanted RED ballast because that reminds me of certain Scottish areas (well a kind of Reddish Brown) and I wanted my main running lines to be red with my sidings and depot areas to be anything from grey to black. My turn now - can I ask who you have as an Avatar - is there a theatrical story to be told there - looks to me to be quite a scary dude - hope I am not offending you.

Profound Question now to all RMweb experts............... I can hover over each photo and I get a text block that tells me how many times each photo has been downloaded. I presume each "author" can do this for their own topics on New RMweb.

Most photos have been downloaded 2 or 3 or 6 or 9 times (thanks) but the winner is very odd. I can sort of understand why my plan has been downloaded 20 times (just wish I had taken the time to draw the thing better) ------- but the most downloaded photo is............ me with my two boys! ...............WHY?.................... do 22 people really need a new dartboard photo of a fat bloke with two grinning (but handsome) boys?

Stuart

• RMweb Gold
Most photos have been downloaded 2 or 3 or 6 or 9 times (thanks) but the winner is very odd. I can sort of understand why my plan has been downloaded 20 times (just wish I had taken the time to draw the thing better) ------- but the most downloaded photo is............ me with my two boys! ...............WHY?.................... do 22 people really need a new dartboard photo of a fat bloke with two grinning (but handsome) boys?
I think but someone may know better that they are a cumulative figure, in that as the topic extends and gets read by more people the pictures at the start of the thread get more hits, that was certainly the case on the old forum anyways!

so your pics at the start of the thread get a new hit each time the thread is re-looked at, after a while your oldest pics will have many thousands of hits but your latest posts will still be in single figures, when you first post them up? - hope that makes some sort of sense?

• Like 1

Most photos have been downloaded......................

I think it is because they are at the start of the thread and when people first visited they will hace noticed you can select a photo. They may have thought the "link" took them somewhere such as a fotopic sit or gallery on rmweb. When they found it didnt they stopped clicking and enlarging the others unless they wanted to see more detail. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Roadstone + Unsoundmove + Poindexter

Roadstone - I wanted RED ballast because that reminds me of certain Scottish areas (well a kind of Reddish Brown) and I wanted my main running lines to be red with my sidings and depot areas to be anything from grey to black. My turn now - can I ask who you have as an Avatar - is there a theatrical story to be told there - looks to me to be quite a scary dude - hope I am not offending you.

Profound Question now to all RMweb experts............... I can hover over each photo and I get a text block that tells me how many times each photo has been downloaded. I presume each "author" can do this for their own topics on New RMweb.

Stuart

Not offending at all, and I hope likewise when commenting on the Red colour.

The picture is of GARY NUMAN, his music having a profound affect on my life.

Have to say I really like your layout. I confess to looking closely at your track plan but have not uploaded it or the pix of you!!

My layout is on the move from Uganda to Papua New Guinea and I'm getting a lot of ideas from layouts like yours.

Many thanks for sharing.

Jerry

• Like 1

Stuart

I believe I may be getting a new dartboard from Santa-thanks for the tip for downloading :P

I think the red ballast looks good,it sets off the running lines.The layout is coming on well and taking shape,a lot of work is going into it.I certainly need to crank up the work on my own as your workrate is putting me to shame :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest again Roadstone and Hunslet 102.

Found time to try some weathering - Phoenix precision Rusty Rail and Weathered black - mixture of spray and brush. First photo shows before and after (clean bit still to be done). Then a few photos with my new wall in background, Audi advert board, and some weeds and junk started.

I think the RED is now as I wanted it to be (makes me happy anyway) and nice and oily looking.

And here is a wee link to a video on Youtube showing some general trundling from this location and some zooming in and out the tunnels.

post-6993-12600372772874_thumb.jpgpost-6993-1260037299289_thumb.jpgpost-6993-12600373139682_thumb.jpgpost-6993-12600373337472_thumb.jpg

Thanks for watching - Hope you tried the video - 4 others there at various stages of the build.

Stuart

• Like 1

You have done fantastic work on the tunnel, ballast and around the area icon_thumbsup2.gif I still can't believe how its changed!! The whole layout looks fantastic!!

I enjoyed the videos, the sound locos just bring it all to life really!!

More, more, more icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

George

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that's more like it - my usual month between updates - and had to find myself way down on page 6 :)

This "topics" section of RMweb is really taking off - nice and busy - new postings and layouts every day almost like the old days.

Been sorting problems this month - cut platform length so longer coaches can get round, sorted out a few alignment problems, added a few passengers, trees and tweaks - but not much worth a separate posting update - but then I fitted a few more lights.

I bought these Express street lights 18 months ago and since I am now a skint fat architect...... I got them out and they sure are good. I will have to experiment with night photos but the "atmosphere" these bring to the railway arches is pure magic in real life. I can almost feel the frost in the icy blue / grey lights - memories of sneaking around Newcastle at 2.00 am en route down to London in 1981.

Hope people like them

Stuart

post-6993-12622647428784_thumb.jpgpost-6993-12622648288891_thumb.jpgpost-6993-12622648511031_thumb.jpgpost-6993-12622648863034_thumb.jpgpost-6993-12622649048768_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest and kind words - much appreciated and keeps me motivated it even convinces my wife that I am not the only "strange man" in the world. Well it helps a bit anyway.

I have been scanning a few of my 1979 - 1983 photos into a wee Gallery and found this image taken at Eastfield in 1982 and this shows rather well the RED ballast I have been banging on about. The dry bits (thankfully very rare in Sunny Glasgow) are almost (whisper it) pink.

I am going for RED main lines and manky black depot - maybe I have this the wrong way round.

post-6993-1262599539602_thumb.jpg

This is the Glasgow side of Eastfield beside the Office entrance and shows visiting 47 155 and 40 173 which from memory was parked here with it's "not to be moved" spangle for many months - maybe years. Wonder how many people were waiting for it to show up without knowing - it would never happen.

Stuart

• Like 1

hi just wanted to say that i love all the modern image layouts on here as its the era i grew up with i love the detail that has been put in to the layouts and could only dream of owning or building a layout this good so thank you for keeping me interested in one day having one

• Like 1