Blue With Yellow Faces 1979 Era Layout + Scrap Yard

Brush47337

Like many Brummies, I will recall with fondness the late Don Jones' 'Miniature New St' (DMNS), which had taken over the garden of the family's Douglas Road property and was open to the public once a year.

Don had many quirks in his modelling - why shouldn't he, it was his train-set after all? - but one feature that grew in impact every year was the scrapyard. Because the roster running on the - it must be said, impressive - layout was at least faithful to class, many other types had been withdrawn and were now the centrepiece of the scrapyard cameo. Thus the 1:76 breakers had tri-ang EM2s and Blue Pullman cars to go at.

Yes, you did read that right cool.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chard - I will probably do likewise and let my scarp yard evolve over years and fill up. Not my style to finish things - would rather keep adding - slowly.

Nearly 2 months since last update - work getting in the way of fun (again) - still - at least my firm is still managing to survive (just)

Managed some more fence, some weeds and first ever weathering to poor old 45 127.

HELP ME ........ I appear to be on the wrong side of this fence - I think that might be bad.

post-6993-12765235515_thumb.jpg

Boss......... We have found a hole in the fence - bet 40 106 has escaped again.

post-6993-127652361533_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Impressive weathering on the peak and I also really like the flame cut numbers - maybe we will have to sneak through the fence and 'lift' them.

Is the weathering hand brushed or airbrush? Colours look good - which brand have you used.

Thanks

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Lewis - The number panels are plastic bits from sprue ends of the Knightwing fences. Painted with Phoenix Faded BR Blue and some old number decals. I will do some more just using mounting board (easier to cut) - once painted they should look OK.

Jeff - The weathering is by brush using Phoenix Faded BR blue + Faded Yellow + track rust - tried to get a streaky washed out effect - looks OK from a distance and as a 1st pass - but I have a lot to learn with weathering - scrap yard is a good place to hone techniques. Loving your TMD layout pictures Jeff - had to miss DEMU this year and last - but looks like yours was well received.

Thanks for the interest and the questions

Stuart

Thanks guys

Lewis - The number panels are plastic bits from sprue ends of the Knightwing fences. Painted with Phoenix Faded BR Blue and some old number decals. I will do some more just using mounting board (easier to cut) - once painted they should look OK.

Jeff - The weathering is by brush using Phoenix Faded BR blue + Faded Yellow + track rust - tried to get a streaky washed out effect - looks OK from a distance and as a 1st pass - but I have a lot to learn with weathering - scrap yard is a good place to hone techniques. Loving your TMD layout pictures Jeff - had to miss DEMU this year and last - but looks like yours was well received.

Thanks for the interest and the questions

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

I wish Oulton was mine - owned and built by Allan Cromarty. I am just a willing operator who gets to bring some of his stock to play.

Keep the pics coming

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks Guys

Road Stone - The fencing is by Knightwing - "Security fencing PM 121" (comes with the gates as well) quite a lot in a pack for about £10

Have you posted your layout yet - or still being shy?

Stuart

Another arrival in the scrap Yard + a wee video

The venerable Hornby 25 247 has been retired and hopefully looks like it has been cut and sat here for a good long while.

post-6993-12775633977_thumb.jpg

post-6993-127756342278_thumb.jpg

The video shows the scrap yard in context plus a few laps round the layout by Heljan 27 105 and Hornby 31 174.

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/ynuHNXs-TS8

Stuart

• Like 2

Stuart,

I really like the scrapyard - very effective. I particularly like the Steam engine that has been dumped at the back.

Is that next for the cutters torch?

Keep the updates coming

Jeff

• Like 1

G'day 47337,

Love the 25's and hit a buried memory of mine as I've actually seen something like that as a youngster. The rust on the 45 has really got the look.

Fencing noted, thanks.

I have made quite some progress on my layout but not for publication!! No courage.

Cheers, Jerry

• Like 1

Oggy 1953

Thanks - At the moment I have 4 sound locos

a 47 with SWD sound

a 20 with standard Bachmann sound

a 37 with SWD sound

a 27 with SWD sound

I am now truly skint - the recsession has just about killed architecture in the UK.

It will be a wee while before I can afford anything let alone £100+ sound chips. Having said that the only sound one I may ask Santa for would be a Deltic.

I like all my SWD but am fed up emailing without getting a reply. None of my sound chips do "notching" and I find the sound a bit random - the 27 and 20 can get stuck regardless of throttle speed. Unless you thrash...cut back and thrash again.... I find it fun and very realistic - but not matched to train speed. Maybe SWD don't do notching but a reply would be good.

Might explore Howes sounds when I am down in Oxford next month - just window shopping obviously.

Thanks for asking

Stuart

hi stuart great layout, you cant beat a bit of blue power, i think the scrap yard is fantastic, the rusted and scraped bodies are great, just a small suggestion, maybe add a little weeds and grass around the bodies, just to give them that been there a while look and it will also blend them into the ground, the rusting and weathering is excellent.

well done and keep up the great work

regards

neil

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Mason - I have added some extra weeds to the scrap yard and it must be a weekday now as a squad of tiny welders have turned up for a shift.

post-6993-128122307027_thumb.jpg

Bit of a special day on shed - wonder when the last time NORTH STAR and CITY OF TRURO were together on shed

post-6993-128122339554_thumb.jpg

post-6993-12812234261_thumb.jpg

Couple of shots experimenting with depth of field on the camera - guys at the platform end look to be quite happy - must be something good coming up the hill soon.

post-6993-128122354712_thumb.jpg

post-6993-128122357079_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the opinions about Howes sound Mr Temeraire - when funds allow I will check that out.

Stuart

• Like 4

Mr Beejak Thanks for pointing Mr Dazza 50 015 in the right direction with videos.

There was an excellent link on old RMweb on how to post you tube clips - and get a frame to appear in your thread to show people it is there. All I can manage is a blue url thread (and my 16 year old IT boy had to show me that!).

Must go and see if I can find that old link - hope you liked the Videos.

I am having a wee think these days about adding a helix to my layout (to a lower level - or a higher level). I am fortunate enough in having "play value" in that trains run twice round room - and I managed to build cameo areas so that they run high, low, tunnel, bridge, station and countryside. But I still find it a bit repetative. Thinking of having a loop to a much larger fiddle yard.

I would love trains to run round once or twice then go off scene while another tuns up. My fiddle yard is too small for this - so................ grey matter is smoking - and funds permitting I may have the saw out and have to make a call to the tiny track laying gang for a winter project.

Thanks for the interest

Stuart

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another video

Clicky clicky here .........................>>>>>>

A bit slower than previous ones and 4 trains running.

DCC can cope with 99999 something - 45 year old man can barely cope with 4.rolleyes.gif

Hope someone likes this

Stuart

I also remember this layout from the last RMWeb incarnation, and admit to have followed its progress.

I imagine its a lot of fun to operate Stuart - thats what its all about!

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The weak winter sun was coming in pretty low today - makes Douglas Depot look quite moody even with my duff photo skills.

post-6993-061936700 1287847235_thumb.jpg

Three Heljan 47 and a Heljan 27. These danish things sure like hanging around at the pumps.

post-6993-086332800 1287847253_thumb.jpg

Over the winter I will be working on the back corner seen here and adding backscenes - this picture needs a better background but I thought the light still looked good enough to photograph.

Maybe the next 2 months will show more progress than the last 2 did - it's hard work finding time for a hobby.

Stuart

• Like 3