Blue With Yellow Faces 1979 Era Layout + Scrap Yard

Brush47337

Thanks Grimleygrid - I am going to assume you think my wee train set is a "good layout" and not the photo I posted with 40 173 at Eastfield. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yes I do have "fun" - is that not the whole point of our scene?

Thanks for the compliment _ I am watching your "Toton Layout" with interest - great idea. IF (and that is a big if by the way) I finish this layout and find room for a second layout - I would model Glasgow Eastfield in a heartbeat.

Can you imagine an exhibition featuring half a dozen "famous sheds"

Stuart (sending off post 50 with this post) Can I get my "hot" logo now please Andy?

Thanks Grimleygrid - I am going to assume you think my wee train set is a "good layout" and not the photo I posted with 40 173 at Eastfield. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Yes I do have "fun" - is that not the whole point of our scene?

Thanks for the compliment _ I am watching your "Toton Layout" with interest - great idea. IF (and that is a big if by the way) I finish this layout and find room for a second layout - I would model Glasgow Eastfield in a heartbeat.

Can you imagine an exhibition featuring half a dozen "famous sheds"

Stuart (sending off post 50 with this post) Can I get my "hot" logo now please Andy?

You are quite right having fun is what our hobby is all about! cool.gif

I did although there is nothing wrong with the photo of 40173 at Eastfield!

I remember back in 1991 I think it was, going round Eastfield depot, great TMD that was. Used to love going passed on the train or standing up on the bank looking at all the Large Logo 37s and 47s on shed. Great times??¦..

Eastfield would make a lovely layout, as previously mentioned there is a guy on the internet and may be a member on here that has been working on modelling said TMD. Very impressive. I look forward to seeing your model once your current project is finished! icon_mrgreen.gif

Love your idea of the exhibition featuring famous sheds, Tinsley, Old Oak, Thornaby, Eastfield, Immingham, Canton??¦??¦..how good would that be? biggrin.gif

• Like 1

This layout is going from strength to strength.Had the privilege to view it in the flesh a few days ago and all I can say is that the photos and videos do not do it full justice,there are so many cameo scenes to marvel at that really set the layout off.Yes the layout is far from complete,but that is the beauty of our hobby,always having something to do and improve on our layouts.

The layout period really captures the 80s feel,especially the loco shed with proper locomotives awaiting their next turn of duty.I think a grimy DMU in rail blue would just add to the scene Stuart :P

Well done and keep the posts coming and thanks for showing me the layout.

Andy

• Like 1

Hello Brush47337,

Have just noticed the pixs of actual red ballast. Quite amazing so I looked for more pixs of red ballast on the net and it would appear that red supports a lot of track around the world. You learn something everyday.

By the way, where are more pictures? I'm close to starting mine and along with others anm grateful for the ideas I get from yours.

Cheers, Jerry

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for kind words again.

Nice to hear from you again Mr Teal (John RJR) - this is my first ever attempt at a layout and it is all your fault. Watched your RJR shed layout and your "get on with it" attitude shamed me out of 6 or maybe 10 years of watching, sketching and lurking. .....I .....thank you..... my wallet wants to kill you!

I think there should be a "slot" here for great layouts that were documented as they built - like a wee archive. Your many layouts and the old "6 week layout" one - would always provide inspiration to neewbies - so much to learn by reading them through.

Roadstone - thanks but nothing much worth posting up from BWYF at the moment - just ballasting and wiring the station area - which I will photograph and load when done. So how you getting on - have you started a thread yet?

Hunslet 102 - might let you talk me into a manky blue DMU at Model Rail Scotland in 3 weeks time - you going on the Saturday?

Stuart

[quote

Hunslet 102 - might let you talk me into a manky blue DMU at Model Rail Scotland in 3 weeks time - you going on the Saturday?

Stuart

Aha,a kink in the armour,you know that I will bombard you from now until the Glasgow show to get a dirty smelly manky rail blue DMU,no blue era 80s British Rail layout should be without one.Maybe I am too biased being brought up on a diet of railcars,as DMUs were known in my neck of the woods,but they do have a unique character about them.

Yes I will be attending Model Rail Scotland on the Saturday with a fellow Irish modeller.Looking forward to it and to seeing again the Perth MRC Irish layout Old Blarney,along with the numerous other great layouts.It is always a good show.

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
I think the RED is now as I wanted it to be (makes me happy anyway) and nice and oily looking.

Yeah its loads better! - the real stuff was indeed very red when it got put down -remember seeing the bits round Edinburgh and Haymarket when they were remodelled.

I'd also say regards the grey for the depot well the pic of Eastfield shows only one siding with the red ballast so I dont think your way out there. Till I saw the youtube vid I didnt realise how resemblent your depot track plan was of Eastfield obviously on a smaller scale but you can see how it resembles. Very nice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for various kind words of encouragement - helps a lot.

No Andy - couldn't find any manky blue DMU's (yet)

Another month (and a bit) and another update showing more very low progress.

Just as well this is a hobby and not a job.

So in the past month I have

:) Done the ballast and oily staining through the station.

:) Created a wee farm scene down near the tunnel.

:) Er...... That's about it... :(

But I have been cleaning (got my Trix wheel brush thingy from Gaugemaster (at last)) and placing some figures around depot and platforms.

Bought a great wee railway man holding an "I Luv U" up to passing trains. Had to have that.

First 2 pictures show the strip down of station area all built to be removable - even though the boards are permanent.

post-6993-127047732352_thumb.jpg

post-6993-127047735238_thumb.jpg

post-6993-127047737899_thumb.jpg

post-6993-127047740886_thumb.jpg

post-6993-127047743072_thumb.jpg

post-6993-127047745457_thumb.jpg

Hope someone likes these new bits

Stuart

• Like 2

The ballast in the station area is looking good.Do you intend to use a different colour of ballast in other areas of the layout?.I like your farm scene,it is always good to get a bit of greenery on the layout.

Your DMU excuse is feeble,you just dont want one ruining the look of your blue with yellow faces diesels!Dont worry,I will keep up the campaign for the humble DMU.

Keep up the good work.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest Lewis.

The Ballast is all Woodlands Scenics "Fine" which IIRC is intended for "n" gauge. I think the "oo" stuff is a bit coarse but that is just my view.

The Red stuff is called "Iron Ore" and the grey stuff is called "Gray Blend" which has a nice speckly effect with some black ones through the Grey.

Hope that helps - Nice name by the way - my 16 year old is also called Lewis - Have you ever been to "your" Island?

Stuart

Scottish Region has been associated with red ballast for a number of years, at Polmadie our then Depot Manager was rightfully proud of it compared to the grey dreary stuff at the rest of West Coast's facilities ;)

• Like 1

Thank's CHARD - beat me to it.

Lewis if you have a look at post 46 on page 2 of this Topic - you will see a Photo I took (back in the day) at Glasgow Eastfield. Red Ballast 47 155 + oil + muck. Yummy.

To me red will always anchor a layout to Scotland - see also the excellent Waverley West albeit a more subdued "Browny Red" - which is much more fitting for Genteeeeele Embra.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words (again) 7APT7

Decided to have a wee break from Ballast and cleaning.

I have made a start on my Depot Scrap Yard.

Fence + Gates to rail access siding + spray black to Ballast - will have to get a fair bit more dirt and ankle deep muck - but for now just building slowly and trying things for fit. More fencing in the paint shop.

First visitors placed for effect........... 45 127 off it's bogies and a start made on weathering. Like everything on this layout - this is my first attempt at painting and when this dries _ I will add more layers and streaks of black + oil and a faded red buffer beam. An old Hornby Dublo Steamer lies on the back road. It is 7032 Denbigh Castle - no idea about this loco - friend gave it to me - and it will be respected and left in piece at the back - maybe some day it will be saved.

I will also build some "sleeper towers" to sit the 45 on rather than have it lying on the ground (Give it a little dignity for it's last hours)

In time I want to build the scrap area up to have..........

sad.gif Cabs of locos cut and lined up.

sad.gif A Class 27 showing signs of spontaneous combustion - prior to withdrawal.

sad.gif Ankle deep scrap and salvage.

sad.gif Piles of Number panels cut off locos. This may end up as a cheap way to have some of my favorite locos on site without having to buy them all (Am I Scottish ... or what....!)

For some reason I love scrap photos and sites like WNXX will have to be studied a bit more.

Any ideas / suggestions welcomed - no need to rush - as you know I am not the fastest on RMweb.

Stuart

post-6993-127144750923_thumb.jpg

post-6993-127144754699_thumb.jpg

post-6993-127144756551_thumb.jpg

• Like 1