Standedge Tunnel in n-gauge

philiprporter

Thanks for the kind comments everyone - its great to be back! 

Ben - main work left to be done is to get the ground area looking right where the old running lines have been lifted (some puddles and vegetation mainly, but also some work with various grey and brown paints and scatter etc), populate the whole scene extensively with trees and bushes, finish the farm access road area and get the backscene printed and installed. At some stage I also need to pluck up the courage to add the white water to the overflow structure! I may also add lights to the farm buildings and the cars that will eventually be installed on the road so that I have can get some atmosphere running in night mode. 

Once that is all done the signals and various bits of fencing will be re-installed (all items that I kept damaging when working on the layout, hence their temporary removal) and I can then build the lighting rig to get it exhibition ready - I have all the bits and  bobs for this as well as the lights. I was going to install point motors for the fiddle yard, but its such a small space that it doesn't really seem worth the hassle and expense. 

On the subject of space - Ian its 180x103 cm overall, and the scenic section is 158x64 cm. From the top of the hill where the road is to the end of the 'steps' on the overflow structure, all is built to scale from maps.

Some lengthwise compression has taken place to enable me to get the bridge over the canal in - and as per an earlier post (back in 2012! post 52), the lack of a suitable RTR point of large enough radius, combined with this compression means that the Marsden loop doesn't curve smoothly - the small radius point (which was that largest radius in the Peco range!) means the line veers off too fast, so I have had to slew it back round in order to cross the bridge - it doesn't look as bad as it sounds thankfully, but it was either live with this compromise, or start scratch building a point - not something I have the skills for given that this is only my second attempt at layout building and the track laying has easily been the hardest part for me!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Philip,

I had to do some "white water" recently as Paul ("Only Me" on this forum)  asked me to assist with the scenics for the sea on his layout Tormouth.  The layout depicts a coastal inlet, so not quite the same type of water you'll be depicting (salt water at the sea edge, to me, tends to look foamier) but I thought the technique might be of use.

In my case the waves were formed in Das clay painted with suitable blue/green colours and given a coat of Johnson's Klear floor polish for a high gloss sheen.  Once this was all dry, I stippled on matt white emulsion using a small brush.  This photo shows the results; if you're interested there are more in the Tormouth thread:

post-420-0-58971200-1428683405_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Hi Philip,

I had to do some "white water" recently as Paul ("Only Me" on this forum)  asked me to assist with the scenics for the sea on his layout Tormouth.  The layout depicts a coastal inlet, so not quite the same type of water you'll be depicting (salt water at the sea edge, to me, tends to look foamier) but I thought the technique might be of use.

In my case the waves were formed in Das clay painted with suitable blue/green colours and given a coat of Johnson's Klear floor polish for a high gloss sheen.  Once this was all dry, I stippled on matt white emulsion using a small brush.  This photo shows the results; if you're interested there are more in the Tormouth thread:

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

cheers

Ben A.

Wow that looks really effective Ben - thanks for posting. I will have a play with some Das and see what I can come up with - I tried using silicon sealant, but wasn't overly pleased with the effect, so this may offer a decent solution,

Thanks, Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Philip,

The difficulty with water is that it moves and is itself colourless - its "colour" either comes from reflections of the sky or other things, particles suspended in it, or even as a function of its depth.

I think this tends to make it very difficult for we modellers to decide how to approach it; since a given body of water can look very different when photographed at different times of day, in different light, etc etc.

Since any static model can only capture a single instant of time, my approach is to select a single image that best represents what I want to achieve, then forget it's water and just replicate what's in the image as best as I can.

For Standedge, if you feel this photo http://bit.ly/1NmWLxQ  captures that "ideal" representative second, I'd be tempted just to paint the surface you have (possibly after skimming with a very thin coat of plaster or das) in sort of rusty colour, then coat with a couple of coats of Klear (or gloss varnish) and then to use white paint very sparingly stippled on... I look forward to seeing how you get on!

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...

After unsuccessfully trying to stitch images together myself I decided to get a backscene professionally made from my field photographs. Here is the draft image and I'm hoping it will work once its wrapped round the back of the layout! Its a composite of two sets of panoramas taken from a hillside to the north of the railway at Marsden 'artificially' joined, so its not 100% reality, but I'm hoping it will capture the feel of the view you get from the hills around Marsden.

post-521-0-75056400-1430510159_thumb.jpg

Edited by philiprporter
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work Philip, you really have captured the character o't tunnel. Wrong end o course but that won't stop me from following this thread. :)

Kev.

• Like 1

Thanks guys - I had no idea what size to get this backscene made as I could only print out A4 size sheets and stick them together to mock up (see earlier posts) so I'm hoping that when it arrives it will work and not overwhelm the scenery, or indeed have limited impact - its pretty big (3m by 57cm), but I want the trains to be dwarfed within the scene, as they are when you see them from distance in reality at this location - and the height needs to reasonable, as the hill behind the tunnels isn't exactly small on the model - anyway, we shall see!

Plenty of vegetation will help blend in the join between backscene and scenery - there is a lot of it at the real location!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Philip,

Good to see an update!

It may not be prototypical but might a hedgerow or stone wall be the most effective way to disguise that baseboard joint?

The blending between backscene and foreground is very effective.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben-yes that's not a bad idea! It's so densely vegetated that area that a wall will be well disguised so that's probably the answer.

It's just strange that the filler has shrunk there as it seems OK elsewhere and when made the join was so neat it was almost invisible (as it is on the grassed section at the front of the layout). Not to worry though, Im looking forward to planting a few trees this weekend and installing the wall then!

Well worth the wait! Does it run well?

Simon

Yep all runs fine thankfully! Only one Farish class 47 has an issue on one area where my track laying isn't so great (well, I blame the foam board baseboard!) - and that 47 is one with the old style bogies that had a pronounced bump on the underside to cover the gearwheels. They are flattened on new releases so no issues with other 47s :) 

I haven't electrified the fiddle yard points, but may well do that at a later date so the layout can be operated from the front. 

• RMweb Gold

This must be the most annoyingly sporadic layout thread on here! However, backscene now done and in place - a bit of scenic work needed where it meets the river on the left of this image, but now its time to plant trees and foliage en-masse, reinstate the signals and bridge guard rails, add some clutter around the tunnel mouths (always a few pallets etc. knocking about there in the real location) and thats the scenic work more or less done -oh and I must do something about the baseboard joint at the back - the plaster I used has shrunk over the winter so what used to be a tiny gap is now more visible - frustrating!

After that its time to build the facia and lighting rig - phew getting there I think!! Will post some more pics at the weekend all being well.

attachicon.gifDSCF9999.jpg

I reckon you could should put a stone wall exactly where that base board join is.

post-12815-0-05223900-1458077809.png

Courtesy of : http://www.table38.steamrailways.com/rail/Micklehurst/micklehurst.htm

Lovely prototype modelling there.

Any chance of a mid-80s peak plus 7 bogies, in tow, on the Newcastle-Liverpool turn?

Kev.

• Like 2

I reckon you could should put a stone wall exactly where that base board join is.

attachicon.gifStandedge.png

Courtesy of : http://www.table38.steamrailways.com/rail/Micklehurst/micklehurst.htm

Any chance of a mid-80s peak plus 7 bogies, in tow, on the Newcastle-Liverpool turn?

Kev.

No problem Kev - will sort it at the weekend :) 

• Like 2

attachicon.gifStandedge.png

Kev.

Here you go Kev - will post some more once the signals are back in and the scenery a bit more advanced - its a tad bare at present! Cheers, Phil. post-521-0-63509700-1458392218_thumb.jpgpost-521-0-66763600-1458392261_thumb.jpgpost-521-0-50857700-1458392294_thumb.jpgpost-521-0-67474000-1458392323_thumb.jpg

• Like 19