Standedge Tunnel in n-gauge

philiprporter

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, replacing the track isn't an option, but I may replace the Liddle End canal boat that is emerging from the tunnel - it looks very basic, its badly painted and jars badly to my eye, but 6 years ago I had a philosophy of trying to use as much kit/'ready to plonk' material as possible having no experience of n-gauge modelling and only limited experience of any layout building. The canal tunnel mouth also needs some improvement.

Hi Philip,

I have always found the same thing.

I now tend to accept that by the time I finish a project there may well be some things I did at the start that come to jar.  Sometimes they are "placeholder" ready-to-fit models that I knew may get upgraded if I had time; others may be scratchbuilt items that didn't quite fulfil my hopes but were accepted to allow me to move on to another area of the build.

But I see it as one of the joys of the hobby; as your skills improve you can revisit areas and do a "proper job" on them.

The image of the 25 with the CCTs is superb - the small row of trees to the left of the disused tunnel mouth look wonderful.  I am very much looking forward to seeing more of your "stacked" photographs but I agree about the canal tunnel mouth - in that shot I wondered whether it had caught the flash as the brickwork stands out from the adjacent retaining wall.  If you have an airbrush it may be a little gentle toning can blend the canal tunnel with the wall.  I think a rattle can would be too severe though.

You also mentioned weathering - this too is an area where, with practice, skills will improve so my tip would be not to start on your favourite model!!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

I particularly liked the "live stock runs" patterning the hillside above the tunnel mouths.

Very Pennine typical and the "stacked" photography allows this details to be seen.

I do hope to see this layout some day.   :)

Kev.

• Like 1

Hi Philip,

I have always found the same thing.

I now tend to accept that by the time I finish a project there may well be some things I did at the start that come to jar.  Sometimes they are "placeholder" ready-to-fit models that I knew may get upgraded if I had time; others may be scratchbuilt items that didn't quite fulfil my hopes but were accepted to allow me to move on to another area of the build.

But I see it as one of the joys of the hobby; as your skills improve you can revisit areas and do a "proper job" on them.

The image of the 25 with the CCTs is superb - the small row of trees to the left of the disused tunnel mouth look wonderful.  I am very much looking forward to seeing more of your "stacked" photographs but I agree about the canal tunnel mouth - in that shot I wondered whether it had caught the flash as the brickwork stands out from the adjacent retaining wall.  If you have an airbrush it may be a little gentle toning can blend the canal tunnel with the wall.  I think a rattle can would be too severe though.

You also mentioned weathering - this too is an area where, with practice, skills will improve so my tip would be not to start on your favourite model!!

cheers

Ben A.

Many thanks for this Ben as its good to know that someone very much more experienced than me has found the same thing :)

The canal tunnel mouth is actually a photo reduced in size and printed out, whereas the retaining wall is weathered plasticard and, unfortunately, the canal tunnel mouth image has faded with time. I used a photo because I couldn't figure a way to curve the stonework and I still cant think of a way? I could easily stick a new photo on, but of course it would still fade over time again. 

It may be that I can do as you suggest and tone it down - I will give it a go with some weathering powders in the first instance and see how I get on :) The stonework on the top of the canal tunnel mouth also needs replacing, as its a simple strip of plasticard rather than individual 'stones' and looks a tad crude. 

I think another reason this area jars so much is that it is right at the front of the layout and therefore needs to be able bear closer scrutiny!! It was also the first part of the layout  built (after laying the track), but as you say, going back and improving things is part of the joy of this wonderful hobby :) I guess thats also why we never really finish a layout!! 

Best wishes, Phil

Edited by philiprporter

quick question if i may as a local from over the hill are there no fences over the disused tunnel mouths at this end as at Diggle  end not being picky and fantastic model 

Thanks for the kind comment - and yes, you are right there are gates/fences over the disused tunnel mouths now, but the layout is loosely set in the late 1970s/early 1980s and during this period there were no gates as far as I can see from images found online - less Health and Safety concerns back then!!

I'm not sure when the gates were added, but I have found a photo of a class 158 in 'provincial' livery and the gates are not present - but am not sure when the 158s started working this route - late 1980s/early 1990s?

Cheers, Phil

The current canal tunnel gates at the "other" end at Diggle represent a canal boat and two boatmen legging it through:

post-6971-0-88089900-1465746663.jpg

(taken today)

There's a series of locks with good views of the line down from the Diggle end towards Saddleworth viaduct, but I think you picked the right end for the model though, as the canal and rail tunnel exits here are further apart.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Philip,

I use printed A4 sticky labels quite a lot, usually with Scalescenes downloads, but to prevent fading I use artists' UV fixative in an aerosol.  Having said that, I suspect some fading is inevitable.

The other options could be plasticard sheets (they will bend 0 but maybe not enough?) or even generating artwork and getting the whole thing 3D printed.  Costly, but would be just what you want. I'd get it printed in black, then add the brick and mortar colours.   Anywhere the black shows through would tend to look like shadow, and not stand out.

cheers

Ben

• Like 1

Hi Philip,

I use printed A4 sticky labels quite a lot, usually with Scalescenes downloads, but to prevent fading I use artists' UV fixative in an aerosol.  Having said that, I suspect some fading is inevitable.

The other options could be plasticard sheets (they will bend 0 but maybe not enough?) or even generating artwork and getting the whole thing 3D printed.  Costly, but would be just what you want. I'd get it printed in black, then add the brick and mortar colours.   Anywhere the black shows through would tend to look like shadow, and not stand out.

cheers

Ben

That's a great idea Ben - I have a friend who has a 3d printer so I will see what he can do!!

• 3 months later...

Massive dose of modellers licence here I suspect (BP over the Standedge route) but I couldn't resist getting one of these having procrastinated last time round and missed out. Really love the presentation box and accessories, but I have to confess that I'm a bit of a sucker for that sort of thing!

post-521-0-66747800-1474495258_thumb.jpg

Edited by philiprporter
  • Like 11

Many, many, MANY years ago, we I was young and naive. I tried building this tunnel entrance for my 'OO' LNER layout. Complete disaster of course.

I must say you've got it looking superb. I look forward to seeing the layout on the exhibition circuit some time soon.

Al.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the kind comments guys - hopefully this will be 100% finished (or as close to being finished as any layout is!) in the next month or so and then its time to start detailing stock-going to be tricky with my eyesight!

Then I hope I can exhibit and start building something a bit more urban - not quite sure what yet, but buildings don't really feature on Standedge Tunnel so this will be an interesting learning curve again. I will also lay the track better (sticking with n-gauge) - lessons learned the hard way with the track laying on this layout will be put into practice!

All the best, Phil. 

Phil, when and where are you planning to show the layout?

Al.

Hi Al - I'm not sure I'm afraid as I haven't ever exhibited a model railway so am not quite sure how to go about it - I did promise to display it at the Standedge Tunnel visitors Centre for a weekend or so, but I haven't had a chance to inquire yet - but watch this space and I will post details as and when. 

I may also try and write an article about the layout for one of the magazines, as I guess that's a potential way to get invited to exhibit? 

Cheers, Phil. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al - I'm not sure I'm afraid as I haven't ever exhibited a model railway so am not quite sure how to go about it - I did promise to display it at the Standedge Tunnel visitors Centre for a weekend or so, but I haven't had a chance to inquire yet - but watch this space and I will post details as and when. 

I may also try and write an article about the layout for one of the magazines, as I guess that's a potential way to get invited to exhibit? 

Cheers, Phil. 

I don't think that you will have any lack of invitations.

• Like 1

Cheers, Phil. 

phill hudersfield mrs run a show at saddleworth museum every year the museum has hst re opened after a refurb and expansion so may suit you know its tuther end of the tunnel but its topical ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Slow progress as ever, but have managed to get going with some of the hills other scenic bits and bobs...the green isn't as vivid as it looks in these images. I have temporarily removed the signal - kept catching it every time I worked on the layout!

attachicon.giftunnel1.jpg

attachicon.gifTunnel2.jpg

Hi Phil

What did you use for the grass? It looks bloody amazing!

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Phil

What did you use for the grass? It looks bloody amazing!

Mike

Thanks for the kind compliment Mike.

The grass is a variety of techniques, but common to all areas is brown household emulsion painted over cheapo filler which itself is smoothed over a Styrofoam base.

Then a base layer of Woodland Scenics Blended Turf Green blend over all grassed areas. The slopes above and beside the tunnel mouth had copious amounts of static grass added and then some random applications of various scatters and some light brushing of weathering powders to add some additional tonal variety.

Other grassed areas were all treated to a roughly equal mix of static grass and scatter over the base layer of WS Blended Turf - the Blended Turf on its own is a little bit too garish for my taste and a little too uniform, so it always needed toning down/breaking up a touch. 

Cheers, Phil. 

Edited by philiprporter

phill hudersfield mrs run a show at saddleworth museum every year the museum has hst re opened after a refurb and expansion so may suit you know its tuther end of the tunnel but its topical ?

That sounds like a good one to start with - will see if I can make contact with them - would be great to exhibit close to the prototype! 

Cheers, Phil. 

• Like 1

That sounds like a good one to start with - will see if I can make contact with them - would be great to exhibit close to the prototype! 

Cheers, Phil. 

I'm at a show this weekend...I know the guy who organises the Uppermill show (it's actually Pennine MRC rather than Huddersfield) I'll mention it if I get chance.... The Uppermill show is pretty small but it's in a nice spot...might be an easy introduction!

Contact details are here.... http://penninemodelrailway.club/