Standedge Tunnel in n-gauge

philiprporter

I'm at a show this weekend...I know the guy who organises the Uppermill show (it's actually Pennine MRC rather than Huddersfield) I'll mention it if I get chance.... The Uppermill show is pretty small but it's in a nice spot...might be an easy introduction!

Contact details are here.... http://penninemodelrailway.club/

Thanks very much indeed-yes if you could mention it at the weekend that would be much appreciated.

Best wishes, Phil

Rule 1 applies I think! With a setting like wot you have created, I think your could justify running anything.

Grantham's show invites stemmed from being 'spotted' on RMWeb, initially booked as a demo. The diary now runs into 2020 so I don't think you'll have any trouble getting onto the circuit. Look forward to seeing it when you do.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

Rule 1 applies I think! With a setting like wot you have created, I think your could justify running anything.

Grantham's show invites stemmed from being 'spotted' on RMWeb, initially booked as a demo. The diary now runs into 2020 so I don't think you'll have any trouble getting onto the circuit. Look forward to seeing it when you do.

I'd agree this that. With the standard of modelling, you should have no problem with invites.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why? Are you building a model of the whole tunnel?

No, but the tunnel area will be sealed off to prevent light getting into it from where my camera is in the shot above - I've tried several ways to stop light filtering through without complete success, so now its going to be properly blacked out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorting through old photos I found this shot on a strip of negatives.

No idea of the date but it's either summer 1979 or 80. Hope it's of interest.

Regards

Alan

attachicon.gif1979-xx-xx 47xxx Standedge Tunnel.JPG

Thats a great shot Alan!! Many thanks indeed!

Makes me realise that I may need to add some more vegetation. I have a similar shot taken at about the same time from a carriage door window when I was 10 years old - but it was taken on a tiny cartridge film camera and you can just make out the overflow from the motion blur if you squint and use your imagination!!! ;)

• 8 months later...

Bought 2 x 3 packs of these Polybulk hoppers today at an amazing price and they are amazing models especially considering they are n-gauge - the detail is incredible!

A question though - I have no idea whether my rail blue locos should be pulling these or not? They are listed as Era 7/8 on the Bachmann website, but that covers quite a long time period! If anyone has any info I would be grateful - also did these hoppers operate in trains of only the same hoppers, or can I mix them with other freight rolling stock?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide!

Best wishes, Phil. 

post-521-0-89855900-1498245863_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Bought 2 x 3 packs of these Polybulk hoppers today at an amazing price and they are amazing models especially considering they are n-gauge - the detail is incredible!

A question though - I have no idea whether my rail blue locos should be pulling these or not? They are listed as Era 7/8 on the Bachmann website, but that covers quite a long time period! If anyone has any info I would be grateful - also did these hoppers operate in trains of only the same hoppers, or can I mix them with other freight rolling stock?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide!

Best wishes, Phil. 

attachicon.gifDSCF9003.jpg

Hi Phil,

You can run these liveried wagons across at least 3 of the so called 'era's'.

Mostly on Speedlink services but sometimes these became short rakes of the same type wagon.

However, I don't recall seeing them on the Standege route in the 17 years I lived more or less trackside prior to 1988.

Still - looks good on the layout!

Thanks

• 11 months later...

Can't seem to get this layout finished (a common problem I'm sure!) but have managed to get coal loads made for 20 MGRs and I've tried to weather them to replicate the subtle stripes down the sides that come from the rubber wheels that propel the MGRs at the power station (or that's what I think is the cause?).

Despite thinking I had overdone it, I'm now thinking that the effect is too subtle?

Of course having stripped and cleaned the airbrush I found I had missed one(!) so I may do another misting today. Just need to pluck up the courage to start weathering some locos now!

post-521-0-06311400-1527502113_thumb.jpg

post-521-0-69070000-1527502180_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

If that's unfinished, it's hard to tell!

On the MGR rubbed stripes, maybe too subtle, but you've got the advantage of seeing the real thing, not a photo. But there would have been a wide variation anyway. Try just one dirtier and see if it looks wrong?

If that's unfinished, it's hard to tell!

On the MGR rubbed stripes, maybe too subtle, but you've got the advantage of seeing the real thing, not a photo. But there would have been a wide variation anyway. Try just one dirtier and see if it looks wrong?

Thanks so much - yes I agree with you its too subtle - its strange, but in daylight (the pictures were taken under artificial light) they look OK but under the layout lights (which will be the norm) they look too feint. Will have another go this afternoon and see how they look - as you say, I guess it doesn't really matter how they come out, as every picture of an MGR seems to show a different degree of weathering and stripes - and sometimes no stripes!

Can't seem to get this layout finished (a common problem I'm sure!) but have managed to get coal loads made for 20 MGRs and I've tried to weather them to replicate the subtle stripes down the sides that come from the rubber wheels that propel the MGRs at the power station (or that's what I think is the cause?).

Despite thinking I had overdone it, I'm now thinking that the effect is too subtle?

Of course having stripped and cleaned the airbrush I found I had missed one(!) so I may do another misting today. Just need to pluck up the courage to start weathering some locos now!

attachicon.gif20180527_234947.jpg

from line side observation of the standage route and cab rides home they look a little bit to clean tbh oh and if you have a an empty set don't forget the obligatory black bag of signalbox refuse that has been "disposed of " carefully as the empties pass also remember from 1980 onwards you would have a loaded rake of HAA hoppers running eastbound from woolstanton colliery (stoke) to healymills usualy mustering a 47/3 from crewe diesel usually ran after dark but occasionally ran during the day  

just been having a thunk about some of the freight you would see over the route from around 1978 when i started to take an interest regulars were 

Northwich - Healymills and return  25 or 37 & a mixture of fitted and non fitted wagons usualy 3-4 covhops 16t minerals and a couple of cartics (for bells wagon works denton ) with a breakvan this would call at dewsnap to drop & collect waggons of local trip workings 

BOCtanks Northwich british oxygen - healymills  usualy class 40 but occasional 40+25 though the rat should of come off at stockport  12x red &white boc tanks 

traffordpark -leeds flt and return  freightliners class47 and freightliner set usualy ran after midnight 

ukf tanks 47/56 thirteen bogie tanks in ukf fertiliser livery 

redbank parcels class 40 and rake of ccts /BGs etc ran SO westbound leeds - redbank 

passenger traffic was the ubiquitous heaton or crewe diesel 47 and 7 mk2a.b with the occasional class55  later went over to peaks 

summer fri/sat only holiday traffic class40s11 mk1s yorkshire to northwales hourly 

york mail class40/45/47 &55 york - shrewsbury and return mk1s and BGs etc 

occasionaly doubleheaded class 31s substitued for the 37/40s out of healymills 

Great layout this.

As for the MGRs I too have recently done the rubber wheel thing. I did mine with brushwork though. Certainly more visible than yours. Not sure whether the level of visibility is very consistent on the real thing though to be honest.

• Like 1

Great layout this.

As for the MGRs I too have recently done the rubber wheel thing. I did mine with brushwork though. Certainly more visible than yours. Not sure whether the level of visibility is very consistent on the real thing though to be honest.

Thanks so much - would love to see one of yours if you are happy to post? I agree - the level of visibility seems different in every picture I see!! I'm also a newbie to weathering rolling stock so I think there is a tendency to 'go light' when I probably should be plastering more muck on!!!

just been having a thunk about some of the freight you would see over the route from around 1978 when i started to take an interest regulars were 

Northwich - Healymills and return  25 or 37 & a mixture of fitted and non fitted wagons usualy 3-4 covhops 16t minerals and a couple of cartics (for bells wagon works denton ) with a breakvan this would call at dewsnap to drop & collect waggons of local trip workings 

BOCtanks Northwich british oxygen - healymills  usualy class 40 but occasional 40+25 though the rat should of come off at stockport  12x red &white boc tanks 

traffordpark -leeds flt and return  freightliners class47 and freightliner set usualy ran after midnight 

ukf tanks 47/56 thirteen bogie tanks in ukf fertiliser livery 

redbank parcels class 40 and rake of ccts /BGs etc ran SO westbound leeds - redbank 

passenger traffic was the ubiquitous heaton or crewe diesel 47 and 7 mk2a.b with the occasional class55  later went over to peaks 

summer fri/sat only holiday traffic class40s11 mk1s yorkshire to northwales hourly 

york mail class40/45/47 &55 york - shrewsbury and return mk1s and BGs etc 

occasionaly doubleheaded class 31s substitued for the 37/40s out of healymills 

Yes I agree - the more I look at them and compare to photographs the more they look way too clean!!

Thanks so much for the information on freight trains - thats very useful indeed!! 

Cheers, Phil.