Thorne Yard

DaveC46026

Hello All

You might remember Thorne Yard from the Old RMweb and you might not be aware that there is a blog on here! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=231&

Well if you did & if you didn't I thought you might like to see a few of the updated pictures!

13qq6m_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Some of the latest wagons needing repair stand outside the shed

13qq6p_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

A local haulier contracted to collect used and broken pallets arrives into the yard.

13qq6q_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Obviuosly things aren't ready so he's parked up out of the way!

13qq6o_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Sulzer power dominates the yard today as 25058 from down the road at Bescot and 47286 of Bristol Bath Road await the next turn of duty.

13qq6r_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

The same 2 locos seen again but this time from inside the shed! Why the 47 is sporting ploughs is not obviuous but the 2 piece plough are similar to a number of scottish allocated 47's including 464 which during 1983 also sported ploughs and a domino style headcode!!!

13qq66_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Various wagons and an ex southern CCT await the cutters torch. The dumper bringing fresh bottles.

13qq6v_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Thorne Yard also has its own Breakdown Crane and it's seen here being manouvered into postion by the 47 seen earlier.

13qq6w_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Meanwhile Vacumn only braked 20081 sets to work marshalling that evenings short P-way train.

13qq6u_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Seen from further down the yard and under an ever increasingly dramatic sky the 20 continues its shunting whilst the Mk1 BSK is used by the staff as a staff mess coach and often goes out with the converted GUV seen in the next image behind the 40.

13qq6n_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

although you would believe it to look at her 40004 is in the spruced up state that saw her run several railtours in 1983 including "The Broadsman" her red painted bufeer beams hiding under a layer of filth!

13qq6t_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Deep in dicussion or simply shirking work. A couple of employees at I W Carnelly & Son are caught on camera! Nobody knows to date what it is they make!!!

Hope you enjoy, there a re a few more for some later date and I'll let you all know of developments, exhibitions and magazine articles soon!

Regards

DaveC

Hi Dave

I am just wondering why this layout has not had any reply s, so I have just rectified that!. Nice modelling, and congrats for getting pic of the week.

Like the 40, I have a picture of No4 somewhere at home in the smelt shop at Crew, awaiting its doom.

I'll have a look for it.

Gary (previous pic of the week contributor)

13qq6v_cec7acb1b6bf368e23741dffea58a332.jpg

Thorne Yard also has its own Breakdown Crane and it's seen here being manouvered into postion by the 47 seen earlier.

Hope you enjoy, there a re a few more for some later date and I'll let you all know of developments, exhibitions and magazine articles soon!

Regards

DaveC

have to say... layout is fantastic! Love the look and feel, has some real atmosphere to it!

Do you have any other shots of the breakdown train? I'm assuming it is not RTR, may I ask what and where, specifically the coaches.

Keep up the great work!

• RMweb Gold

having looked through Youtube I've found a few clips of this amazing layout at the Blyth show 2009 and it just captures the feel of the mid 80's grot around the west midlands its exactly how I remember it I will looking out for this layout on the exhibition circuit.

Well done keep the inspiriation coming :clapping_mini::clapping_mini:

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the kind comments! :rolleyes:

The Bins Grimley I think were A1 models? Bit fiddly but well worth the effort!!!

I don't really have any more at the minute, but we are doing a photo shoot soon! - Myself and another well known model railway photographer - I also need to put about 3000 words together to go with the pictures!;) We also plan on doing a 10 minute edited video to go on You Tube but will let you know when we've done it!!!

As for the exhibitions we are awaiting confirmation for several shows, so I'll not say anything yet except if you live in the Midlands, Cambridgeshire, Cleveland, Yorkshire the North West or have a keen interest in Diesel and Electric Models, you should be able to see us soonish!!! Getting married next year which kind of puts a halt to the amount of shows for 2011 but we are out about 6 times next year and the same amount the year after! If you're patient though you should see it in extended form with a fully detailed and extended Wagon Shop - If Simon gets his finger out there will be a working DCC controlled overhaed crane in the shop! -there I've said it now so it's going to happen Simon!:P

Regards

Dave

• RMweb Gold

If you're patient though you should see it in extended form with a fully detailed and extended Wagon Shop - If Simon gets his finger out there will be a working DCC controlled overhaed crane in the shop! -there I've said it now so it's going to happen Simon!:P

Regards

Dave

HI,

what do you mean pull my finger out :angry: i need the size of the area etc etc :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: but as they say, not a problem. Would you like lights as well????????? :unsure: have to see what i can come up with.

Guess Tech support had better get working and ready to travel for the next couple of years.

cheers

Simon

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

HI Guys,

For followers of the layout, just a quick link to the Darlington Model Railway Club's Facebook page so you can all have a link to see Thomas and Friends visiting Throne yard whilst it is at the club rooms having a bit of work done ahead of

Demu Showcase

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

cheers

simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi guys

Thought I'd just repost some of the images as they'd disappeared due to fotopics demise and the fact that we are gearing up and very much looking forward to the Derby exhibition in a couple of weeks...

47 and Breakdown on TY.jpg

First up Bristol Bath Road resident 47286 with TY's Breakdown crane

Under Threatening Skys.jpg

20081 sits amongst the various P-way wagons between duties underneath a threatening sky

40 on TY.jpg

40004 with a mess van and taff dorm prepare to depart

Awaiting the next turn of Duty.jpg

Sulzer power awaiting the next turn of duty

Outside the Shed.jpg

The same locos taken from outside the shed

Wagons for Repair.jpg

Wagons for repair

Parked Up.jpg

Parked up after delivering parts.

And just a little look at something Andy has been working on for Derby......

Untitled-3.jpg

No I don't understand it either but watching it for 2 1/2 hours I know it works well and look good!

I'll pop some more images up this weekend but in the meantime if you're coming to Derby, come say Hi! ;)

• 1 month later...

HI Guys

Sorry if youve seen these but heres a few pictures from the Derby Exhibition!...

26038 collecting the Plough

DSC01550.jpg

Can't think of any reason you might get 3 Hoovers in the Yard...oh yeah I can...A photo call!

DSC01535.jpg

25109 brings the scrap wagons in for the cutters flame.

DSC01551.jpg

Archived