Steam services on the Looe branch - now with photos!

• RMweb Gold

Really excellent photos their Bubbles.B)

Some different photographic locations as well on this line which is nice to see. I'll have to get one of the posters I think on my next visit to Cornwall.

Cheers,

Mark

Super pictures Tim. I hope to bring the family and do some by the water type shots this coming Sunday. My lineside footage whilst on branch checks was pretty awesome filmed from between the viaduct & Bolitho crossing on the climb back to Liskeard with 685 getting a workout. I'll also upload soon to U Tube.

My stills weren't as clear as yours - the light was pretty grim.

maybe see you again this coming Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the images Cap'n & Bubbles

By chance, I caught sight of the 37 + stock racing through Dawlish Warren on the 19th - made a great sound, but I didn't have the camera with me:(

I hadn't realised how long the branch platform at Liskeard is - that' s the 37 + 5(?) coaches within the length? :O We keep saying than the Looe line is a small-space operation, but evidently not Liskeard itself...:blink:

EDIT - no, Rich - it's 4 coaches, if you look at the photos properly....<_<

I hadn't realised how long the branch platform at Liskeard is - that' s the 37 + 5(?) coaches within the length? :O We keep saying than the Looe line is a small-space operation, but evidntly not Liskeard itself...:blink:

It is certainly a handy length at Liskeard but you'll be lucky to get much more than a loco and one coach at Looe itself. Selective door opening?

Thanks for the kind comment on my snaps. While waiting near Coombe Jnt the farmer from Bolitho Farm joined us and kindly let us know that we were welcome to view and photograph the trains from his fields, he has the land around the Liskeard to Coombe Jnt. loop and for a donation to Shelter Box charity he has allowed parking and the use of these fields.

I guess the same arrangements will be in place for this coming Sunday, the fields can be accessed from the westbound Liskeard exit of the A38, When you reach the roundabout at the bottom of the slip road take the first exit (left) and look out for the signs on the right where the jnt with the unclassified road is that crosses the main line by a bridge.

The parking area is accessed across two level fields

DSCF2288.jpg

But the trees have grown up a lot in recent years

DSCF2261-1.jpg

Bolitho Farm crossing is in the lower right corner of one of the main fields just before the line goes under the A38

DSCF2264.jpg

DSCF2290.jpg

DSCF2291.jpg

By crossing the line here and walking down the lower field it is possible to pass right under Liskeard Viaduct

DSCF2265.jpg

DSCF2274.jpg

DSCF2276.jpg

don't forget to put your donations in the buckets provided

DSCF2285.jpg

the thoughtful farmer provided this map at the parking area

DSCF2289.jpg

may see some of you there on Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

9466 stands in the down platform after arrival on the back of the train from Plymouth, Who's that standing on the platform in the orange coat ? :rolleyes:

Nice pics all - Bubbles, I wonder who that could be in the hi-vis jacket in your second photo? ;)

If that is meant to refer to me, then unfortunately I haven't had time to log in at home this week, wot with Scaleforum coming up and all, and our work system prevents some photos on here (but not all) from being viewed, can't think why.... ;)

Edit - now seen them - very nice photos indeed!

• RMweb Premium

I didn't manage to get to Looe today to see this, I couldn't spare the time as have other things to do, but I did manage to get to see the train crossing the Royal Albert Bridge.

post-163-003624800 1285499854_thumb.jpg

post-163-032297000 1285499868_thumb.jpg

post-163-047790800 1285499882_thumb.jpg

The only downside of the day was the lazy, irresponsible dog owner who had let their animal foul right next to the dog bin angry.gif

• RMweb Gold

Very nice photos Kris...

What is the building disguised as a Union Jack (or is that the opposite) in the background? Can't remember seeing that when I was studying in Plymouth all those years ago...

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't work out whether to pop these on a new thread or add to this one, but then I thought that it was connected (just) so we'll add it here.

I popped out this morning and caught 9466 going through Ivybridge station. I had intended to get it elsewhere as well but a tractor in the way put pay to that idea. Never mind. It was steaming rather well and going at a good lick, which makes a real change. The difference between this and tanks on preserved lines was huge, some thing that I don't remember noticing as much with larger locos.

post-163-038011200 1285584610_thumb.jpg

post-163-004694800 1285584624_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Sadly my holiday didn't stretch quite long enough to have been a part of this event so thanks for some wonderful pictures. I managed a class 153 trip up the branch on the last Sunday train of the year partly out of necessity (I was staying near Horningtops and had walked from Portwrinkle to Looe) and partly as some consolation for having to miss the steam.

Looe platform holds two coaches of 23m length or - with a train drawn right up to the blocks - the first door of a third coach of 63' stock just gets on. Many years ago I remember wondering why we had stopped outside the town only to discover the extremely short terminus required passengers such as myself in the rear coach of the class 120 triple to walk through to alight! Liskeard bay holds about seven coaches so quite a decent length while the halts vary but generally only manage 2-car trains.

From the photos posted it seems some work is going on at Coombe Junction with temporary fencing cutting off a part of the already short platform there.

Archived