Golden Age Models OO gauge A4

Metropolitan

Here's an RTR 4mm steam loco which sets a new standard. On opening the box I was simply stunned! The level of detail, build quality, finish and authenticity (except that it's OO of course!) is astonishing:

pa190001.jpg

It's sound equipped and checking it against my A4 drawing I can find no error or omission down to the smallest rivet. The tender is equally fine with a superb realistic coal load made of individual pieces. There are just too many features to list here such as the opening smoke box doors and the gorgeous cast Silver Fox motif. Being brass the baked on paint finish is very realistic.

Whoops! I forgot to open the cab doors and lower the fall plate when taking the photo!

But the star of the show is beneath the casing!

pa190002.jpg

The chassis is unbelievable in an RTR 4mm model. Proper frames for a start. You get a fully working inside big end on a cranked axle, and accurately modelled working Gresly conjugated valve gear and the brake gear and cylinders are works of art! The gear itself if perfectly made with no hint of slop or wobble.

Each axle box (Not even the best kit loco's have managed this yet!) on the loco and tender is sprung and working just like the real thing! The motor is strong and silent. Needles to say it runs and glides along like silk.

I am absolutely bowled over with this majestic RTR model. Is this a sign of things to come?.........

Is it my imagination is the nose a little low - beautiful model eitherway

Lastly the Coaches look superb what is the source for them please ?

Mick

Hi Mick

The Silver Jubilee coach set was built from a plastic Airfix type kit. The whole lot came in one bag. I can't for the life of me remember the manufacturer however and have no idea if it is still available. Transfers are still produced by Fox's.

Although the side on model photo on here is a little small, I don't believe the nose is low when compared to photos of the original quartet in as built condition. Because here's the thing: the Silver Fox model is very clearly in 'as originally constructed' condition, with the recessed drawhook and more rounded front to the running plate shrouding behind the buffers. This was modified on the later built locos following a fatal accident when the front coupling was in use, and the first four were subsequently altered to match, so no A4 exists today bearing this appearance.

Making this close an inspection does reveal an error in that area though, there should only be two cylinder drain pipes led forward from the cylinders each side, and they should crank inward at the front and be attached to the front life guards. (The inside cylinder drain cocks must originally have vented underneath out of sight.) Photos of the Silver A4s in construction and new in service in the 'LNER Reflections' Hulton Picture library collection title will confirm. This small aspect hardly detracts from such a lovely model though.

Hi Mick

The Silver Jubilee coach set was built from a plastic Airfix type kit. The whole lot came in one bag. I can't for the life of me remember the manufacturer however and have no idea if it is still available. Transfers are still produced by Fox's.

Most probably Mailcoach / Ian Kirk. Some coaches from those ranges are still available from CooperCraft

Thanks re coachesI thought they might be the Marcs Models version.

The loco looks to be nose diving to the front it maybe due to what it is sitting on in the picture, as even the workplate in the close up picture has a lean to the left.

It's just the photo Mick and the fact that I didn't set it up properly. All is true and well once on track.

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand, complimentary flattery is the sincerest form of admiring the bird in the bush... ;) ;) :lol:

Don't mention birds and bushes on this Forum or you will be struck off. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, should Golden Age decide to make a 4mm Mallard in BR Green, L.C. I'll sell SWMBO and purchase one, or swap if required.

36E

• RMweb Gold

It looks lovely, John, but it's just not fair tantalising the rest of us like that - the question now, therefore, is - can you afford the insurance to take it out of the house a week on Monday and bring it to DRAG?! ;)

I hope that inside bigend doesn't run hot - have you got a mirror under the track so you can keep an eye on it or does it have a scale stinkbomb fitted?

I wonder if they'll be knocking out an OO 'Castle' sometime?

Hi Mick

How have you lined the silver strips on your Coaches ? I am about to build my Kitchen Triplet set have you any details of the Kitchen Car roof vents please?

thanks

Mick

How have you lined the silver strips on your Coaches ? I am about to build my Kitchen Triplet set have you any details of the Kitchen Car roof vents please?

thanks

Mick

Hi Mick

What silver strips? I didn't think there were any? The only silver lining I thought was just edging round the widow frames/doors and top and bottom?

Which is the kitchen car? If it's the middle one then here's a photo of the kit car. Single door to the bottom:

pa240001.jpg

Regards

There are three horizontal Stainless Steel stripes plus windows as here

http://www.rmweb.co....s/page__st__100

and here

http://www.elegantst...oaches_a_b.html

I have used Fox Lining decals for mine

The Kitchen Car is the smallest car with white windows in the three car artic set . It had three roof vents with a curved top. I am trying to find out if they were glazed or solid without much luck !!

cheers

Mick

There are three horizontal Stainless Steel stripes plus windows as here

http://www.rmweb.co....s/page__st__100

and here

http://www.elegantst...oaches_a_b.html

I have used Fox Lining decals for mine

The Kitchen Car is the smallest car with white windows in the three car artic set . It had three roof vents with a curved top. I am trying to find out if they were glazed or solid without much luck !!

cheers

Mick

Oh see what you mean! Yes, those are lined (with a kiddies silver pen from Staples!!!)

Thats the kitchen car in the photo then. Wether or not the ventilators were glazed I know not. If they were then I expect they got horribly grotty very quickly!!:lol:

That reminds me: who volunteers to be the first to convert one of these to P4/S4? :P

Surely anyone buying one of these off the shelf would just commission Steamline Sheffield to build them a Finney in P4 or something instead? If you had the skills to convert but not the money you could just detail a Hornby one.. Im not really sure this is 16 times better than the Hornby one but am still shocked that John likes something that came out of a box in one piece anyway!

• 2 months later...

Archived