Golden Age Models OO gauge A4

Metropolitan

Here's an RTR 4mm steam loco which sets a new standard. On opening the box I was simply stunned! The level of detail, build quality, finish and authenticity (except that it's OO of course!) is astonishing:

pa190001.jpg

It's sound equipped and checking it against my A4 drawing I can find no error or omission down to the smallest rivet. The tender is equally fine with a superb realistic coal load made of individual pieces. There are just too many features to list here such as the opening smoke box doors and the gorgeous cast Silver Fox motif. Being brass the baked on paint finish is very realistic.

Whoops! I forgot to open the cab doors and lower the fall plate when taking the photo!

But the star of the show is beneath the casing!

pa190002.jpg

The chassis is unbelievable in an RTR 4mm model. Proper frames for a start. You get a fully working inside big end on a cranked axle, and accurately modelled working Gresly conjugated valve gear and the brake gear and cylinders are works of art! The gear itself if perfectly made with no hint of slop or wobble.

Each axle box (Not even the best kit loco's have managed this yet!) on the loco and tender is sprung and working just like the real thing! The motor is strong and silent. Needles to say it runs and glides along like silk.

I am absolutely bowled over with this majestic RTR model. Is this a sign of things to come?.........

....Is this a sign of things to come?...........

Certainly is.....if you can afford it. Website here

A4 page here - that's just short of a grand's worth of handbuilt model. Yes, it's RTR by the time it gets to you.

These are the same guys doing that Brighton Belle set for about two grand.

The Continentals have been doing this type of thing for years - click here for Crottendorf - but at even higher prices blink.gif

It does look superb.

Are they made here or abroad? (Couldn't tell from the website).

They are factory built in Korea by F.C. Models but designed by GAM in the UK.

This thing blows all existing kitbuilt/scratchbuilt and RTR British OO gauge steam loco's that I have ever set eyes on into oblivion! Believe me! At the price it's a snip!

Guest Max Stafford

A Ferrari is exponentionally more expensive than a Ford, Pete. Consider it in those terms.

After viewing the models in action, all I can say is; "Mylordz!" B)

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Fair one, Pete. :) I think I could be tempted were I in a suitable position to afford one though. Same goes for the rebuilt beavertail observation car. :)

Dave.

It looks lovely, John, but it's just not fair tantalising the rest of us like that - the question now, therefore, is - can you afford the insurance to take it out of the house a week on Monday and bring it to DRAG?! wink.gif

If it's not clapped out by then I will! I can't stop playing with it!!!laugh.gif

With everyone rattling on about the price I should say that I would rather have one of these than 10 other RTR engines. I didn't need a second mortgage because I cleared out all my old tat from my stock cupboard on eBay! Here's a few more shots:

pa200003.jpg

pa200005.jpg

pa200006.jpg

pa200007.jpg

pa200008.jpg

pa200010.jpg

pa200012.jpg

pa200014.jpg

pa200016.jpg

Silver Fox, at speed with the Silver Jubliee:

pa200018.jpg

• RMweb Gold

For that price I'd want thicker brake blocks than that.... ;)

Golden Age stuff is pretty good. I know someone who has (and have played with) a GA O gauge A4 with 13 of their Pullmans hung on the back. That's nice as well. (His layout is 60' x 30' btw)

Where quality is the thing sought after, the thing of supreme quality is cheap, whatever the price one has to pay for it. - William James

In my view these things are stupidly cheap compared with what one might be expected to pay for the equivalent amount of labour in (say) a car repair workshop. My last service cost over £600. Or a painting/scupture or whatever. And there is plenty of money about, especially the "grey pound", although this may be the last generation whose pensions will withstand paying out that sort of money for a hobby.

Very nice in 98% of Departments. The colour appears much better than the Hornby almost White colour. I have Hornby's recent Silver Link which is badly let down by the colour. Hopefully the next version due soon has been corrected when it arrives.

Dont like

Handrail Knobs should they be chrome?

Silver Fox looks heavy and very strange eyes . I prefer the etched versions I have seen personally. Probably not noticeable in normal viewing ?

Internal motion fantastic but pointless on a A4 as you cannot see it unless it runs upside down.

The coil springing on the Cartazzi truck is bizarre and on full view .

Backhead is nowhere as good as the latest Hornby offerings. Seats are a odd shape and should have a higher back.

Price is immaterial if you want to pay the price and can good luck I wish I could !!

Lastly the Coaches look superb what is the source for them please ?

Mick

Archived