Chaldron wagons in 4mm scale

I was chatting about what happened to the Chiltern Ironworks range only last year, in fact the owner simply lost interest and retains the entire range of wagon and loco kits. Apparently he is not interested in selling them on, nor re-releasing them.

Bad news really as they were a useful range and you NEVER see them second hand.

Bad news :( - seems downright selfish IMO

I don't see any other reason.

In this life, there will always be people like that. Accept the situation, and move on.

What would also be nice is a new kit for a standard gauge side tipping Hudson type spoil wagon.

Gordon A

Bristol

I take it that you mean the steel ones? In which case that would be very welcome. I seem to remember someone doing a kit but cannot remember who.

A kit for a wooden 'Manchester Ship Canal' style side tipper would also be welcome, IIRC Chilton Iron Works did those as well.

I take it that you mean the steel ones? In which case that would be very welcome. I seem to remember someone doing a kit but cannot remember who.

Also Chilton Ironworks and, again, subject of an MRJ build article.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

thought you may interested in this 4mm scale kit from myself

Now finished and to be released at Warley in a month is the Londonderry/Seaham Harbour Chaldron coal wagon.

This features cast parts with etched nickel silver brake gear which is very delicate to represent the spacing between the layers.

post-8628-0-14369700-1319045218_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

But is there anything in that wagon that should put the fear of God into a scratchbuilder? The wheels are the hardest to achieve but you could follow Robert's example with Hornby/Bachmann spoked. Use tubes as bearings and grind off the points. I think the waggons used coach bolts rather than rivets. Could do in plasticard with brass offcuts for the brake ("convoy"?).

hope this works its a bit long!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/10/Chaldron.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/10/chaldron_wagons_seaham.htm&h=791&w=576&sz=59&tbnid=R4vg2sE2-MmfrM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=104&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dchaldron%2Bphoto%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=chaldron+photo&hl=en&usg=__0IQlYMfE-v9zla82os4cpva52rw=&sa=X&ei=7CCfTszRKcf48QOtoJGoCQ&ved=0CBUQ9QEwAQ

But is there anything in that wagon that should put the fear of God into a scratchbuilder? The wheels are the hardest to achieve but you could follow Robert's example with Hornby/Bachmann spoked. Use tubes as bearings and grind off the points. I think the waggons used coach bolts rather than rivets. Could do in plasticard with brass offcuts for the brake ("convoy"?).

hope this works its a bit long!

http://www.google.co...ved=0CBUQ9QEwAQ

2mm diameter inside bearing axles are available from "Alan Gibson", (obviously not with the hexagonal end though) so you don't even have to grind the ends off. Colin can probably supply suitable wheels too, only leaving you to make the bearings from suitable brass tube.

Not sure why you should want to scratchbuild though when Robert has gone to the trouble of producing a kit?

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A bit more info on the Chilton iron Works kits.

One recently landed on my doormat (type C4) and the instructions state that 4 types were available (descriptions copied straight from the instruction sheet):

Type C1 North Eastern Railways chaldron diag. P1 (Also used by all the major colliery companies).

Type C2 4T box chaldron from Lambton Collieries. Similar vehicles used elsewhere in N.E. but differing in detail. (Londonderry Collieries also used large numbers of boxes).

Type C3 Lambton 4T chaldron. This type very common all over the North East. Pelaw Main Colliery used same design. Centre 3 straps originally timber curved to shape of side.

Type C4 Another 4T Lambton Type, but similar vehicles used by other companies.

I always thought that they did a Londonderry/Seaham type but it seems that I'm mistaken unless other waggons were introduced later.

All kits were designed to be built to S4 and had etched chassis plates with simple compensation.

• 4 months later...

but had what looked like standard Hornby wheels

The website states that they come with " Dapol wheel sets and NEM tension lock couplings."

I think they sound very lightweight in "vacuum cast in polyurethane resin" - I think I would prefer the weight and integrity of white metal.

Edited by Kenton

A Smallbrook Studio N.E.R. Chaldron dropped through the letterbox today. The 3 main parts (body, chassis and wooden brake block) are nicely cast in resin, also included are 2 lengths of wire. Instructions are very good for such a simple kit. I ordered mine without the Dapol wheels or tension lock couplings which knocked a couple of quid off the price. Some pics;

post-6749-0-02385600-1343397756_thumb.jpg

Note that the chassis has lead weight cast into it. The axles just clip into place.

post-6749-0-40636300-1343397771_thumb.jpg

Wheels are Gibson from my own stock not the Dapol ones which are usually supplied.

A little bit of flash is present on this end of the body casting, the other end is nicer. A couple of air bubbles are present but nothing that causes concern. The interior features plank and bolt head detail.

Body and chassis together weigh 11 grams.

I rather like this one.

Apologies for the quality of the pics., resin is a pig to photograph. A full build will appear in my blog in due course, after I finish building my Chilton Iron Works one.

Edited by halfwit
  • Like 7

Hold on a second, is not the Smallbrook Studio chaldron wagon 7mm narrow gauge (00 track)?

No, and yes.

The one which I bought, pictured above, is a 4mm scale model of a standard gauge waggon of NER origin. Smallbrook also use the hopper body on a different chassis to make a 7mm scale narrow gauge hopper waggon, which can be seen on this page: http://www.smallbrookstudio.com/page4.php (halfway down).

Chaldron variety;

post-6749-0-75999900-1343854376_thumb.jpg

Left to right: Chilton Iron Works Lambton type, RT Models Londonderry/Seaham type, Smallbrook Studio N.E.R. type (unstarted). Note the greedy boards (extra planks to increase payload) on the Lambton waggon.

• Like 8