Modern (August 2010) Lorrys - assistance sought

• RMweb Premium

Hi ya.

Back to scandinavia.

A Volvo FH Globetrotter XL. 44t, with a centre lift axle. Lovely trucks to drive.

Hi & Lo Kelsa (light) Bars, Long range fuel tank (well polished). Heavy duty steer axle running super singles.

A nice truck obvioulsy far more cared for than its trailer, Which is a standard tri axle, non extending, skel, make unknown.

Ta

Owen

• 1 month later...
On this very piece of road two very unusual trucks operate, an ERF and a Foden Ballast tractors that tow five axle full trailers with long containers (45ft?) daily to the Wilton container depot.

I believe there is some loophole in the law which allows ballast tractors to operate higher gross weights

I often pass them in my car but never get a chance to snap them.

Good to see Beast666 captured the ERF ballast tractor (post 66) , not only very unusual configuration for UK but verging on the classic in age too . Managed the other day to get a poor pic of the Foden Ballast tractor that runs the same route.

post-3430-0-98961100-1297957462_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'll have to try and get some photos of the truck that'll be turning up at work on Thursday. With most of a 737 on the back.

Not suppose to take pictures at work, but hey.

Good to see Beast666 captured the ERF ballast tractor (post 66) , not only very unusual configuration for UK but verging on the classic in age too . Managed the other day to get a poor pic of the Foden Ballast tractor that runs the same route.

post-3430-0-98961100-1297957462_thumb.jpg

Have realised their is three of these ERF ballast tractors moving containers around Teesside for TDG . 1 L reg and 2 R reg.Heres one of the R reg note DORMAN LONG steelworks tower behind

post-3430-0-67984400-1305186365_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Its not uncommon to see a Stobart tractor with White cab as the green is vinyls and they remove them before they dispose of the fleet, sometimes a number of weeks before hand, but they often still have the red wings etc so this one is a hire tractor or demonstrator.

Well its a new cab (PN11 XTL) so I'm wondering if it's not had a chance to be vinyl-ed yet? I saw exactly the same situation (different cab) on the M6 today and was wondering the same.

Anyone noticed the ex-Stobarts units that are appearing? The ones I'm noticing are Lancashire/Preston ( ?) registered (PN07 etc), have white cabs, red bumpers and wings with the white stripes still on them from the Stobbies livery?

Cheers

Phil

Anyone noticed the ex-Stobarts units that are appearing? The ones I'm noticing are Lancashire/Preston ( ?) registered (PN07 etc), have white cabs, red bumpers and wings with the white stripes still on them from the Stobbies livery?

You'd be surprised how many there are about on used truck lots, mostly high mileage too. We looked at an 06 plate Volvo that had in excess of 950,000 km on it.

Pete

You'd be surprised how many there are about on used truck lots, mostly high mileage too. We looked at an 06 plate Volvo that had in excess of 950,000 km on it.

Pete

950,000 for a five year old, barely run in! There are some Volvo B12B coaches in the used market at the moment with between 800,000 and 1,200,000km for 07 and 06 plates. Given that trucks are generally credited with being harder worked than buses and coaches, it seems even more remarkable

950,000 for a five year old, barely run in! There are some Volvo B12B coaches in the used market at the moment with between 800,000 and 1,200,000km for 07 and 06 plates. Given that trucks are generally credited with being harder worked than buses and coaches, it seems even more remarkable

Hmmm...

So, 950,000km over 5 years, 190,000 a year.

Say it worked 6 days a week; 52x6= 312 days a year. 190,000/312 = 608km per day.

Divided by 90km/h = 6.75hrs worth of driving per day?

So that's probably an average mileage for a truck, once you take into account it wouldn't be doing 90km/h all of the time?

1,200,000 over 5 years, 240,000 a year.

Say, 6 days a week again? 52x6= 312 days a year, 240,000/312 = 769km per day.

Divided by 100km/h = 7.69hrs of driving a day...

Intriguing....

:)

Hmmm...

So, 950,000km over 5 years, 190,000 a year.

Say it worked 6 days a week; 52x6= 312 days a year. 190,000/312 = 608km per day.

Divided by 90km/h = 6.75hrs worth of driving per day?

So that's probably an average mileage for a truck, once you take into account it wouldn't be doing 90km/h all of the time?

1,200,000 over 5 years, 240,000 a year.

Say, 6 days a week again? 52x6= 312 days a year, 240,000/312 = 769km per day.

Divided by 100km/h = 7.69hrs of driving a day...

Intriguing....

:)

A typical express coach diagram might involve Aberdeen - London and return in the space of 24 hours, and could conceivably do it for a couple of weeks before a day off for inspection might be required. That would be around 1800km a day for possibly 13 days in 14, around 50,000km a month, and continue to do that for maybe a full year before an extended period of maintenance were required, maybe only three of four days for annual test. Not hard to see how they rack up that kind of mileage.

In practice, none would do that kind of miles, diagrams would be split and also include lower mileage trips to even out the vehicle mileage across a large fleet during a given service period. Only long haul services would run on a 24 hour basis and as there aren't many of them, many vehicles will be parked up for a significant proportion of the day, but it is possible to cover 5 - 600,000km a year.

Driver's hours are rarely an issue as they can use different drivers positioned along the route for individual legs of the journey, worst case would be a single two man crew which could comfortably cover a south or northbound trip with one crew in the 18 hours maximum that would allow.

Hello,

Saw an interesting combination yesterday on M27, couldn't take a pic as I was driving and the rest of the family might have objected (70mph etc!): tri-axle tractor (DAF) + tri-axle trailer - all wheels on the road but with a 4th trailer axle some distance ahead of the others which was OFF the road...

Not an abnormal load so why 7 axles?

Steve

Saw an interesting combination yesterday on M27, couldn't take a pic as I was driving and the rest of the family might have objected (70mph etc!): tri-axle tractor (DAF) + tri-axle trailer - all wheels on the road but with a 4th trailer axle some distance ahead of the others which was OFF the road...

Not an abnormal load so why 7 axles?

Was it a container trailer? And did it have 2x 20' boxes on? If so it's probably what is known as a "Combi". You can go somewhere, drop 4th axle (and 5th on some trailers) unhook the back half of the trailer and go off to deliver the container on the front half.

Something like this?

http://www.mascus.com/image/product/large/166a512f/NOOTEBOOM-4-axle-combi-trailer,018bd629.jpg

HTH

Pete

Archived