Modern (August 2010) Lorrys - assistance sought

• RMweb Gold

Whilst up in the North East, on holiday, photographing the Tees/Middlesborough - Boulby trains, I had a flash of inspiration and realised that I never photograph modern road vehicles, as the sun was perfect the trucks which were departing Tees dock I turned by camera towards the road for a while. All of the shots were taken on 16 August 2010 at Grangetown, Middlesborough.

If possible can those who know provide some further details, such as what the tractor unit is, what the trailer is ?

I will post them one at a time to allow any information to be added - hopefully !

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Yep your correct its a Daf 95XF with a Super space cab. Probably an Owner Driver, judging by age and spot lights, and no company branding. Its pulling a 45ft extending Skel, which looks like a Montracon, Which would hold 2 20ft's a single 40ft, or a 45ft HI-cube.

It probably has a payload of around 32tons.

Cheers

Owen the Scania driver

Not sure how far you want to go with the detail, but it will certainly be Euro 3 emmisions, and have an analogue tachograph

• RMweb Gold

Wow - already ! - thanks guys, as far as detail is concerned I'm happy for whatever people give.

I will post #2 tomorrow, there are about 20 in all, but some may be the same, my knowledge of trucks is not great :(

He's also being a naughty boy. When using 20' containers the twistlocks at the back of the trailer should be folded over out of the way ready for shortening the trailer. Of course I realise that he could do it on arrival at his destination but I prefer to fold them over before I even load a 20' box.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Scania R Series, 480HP, Euro 4 Emmisions (Egr, so no Adblue)

It will have an Opticruise gearbox (has a clutch which works on First & reverse only).

It will be plated at 44ton MGW, and have a digital tacho.

Its pulling a triaxle step frame box (no idea of the make). Which by the way is empty.

Owen

• RMweb Premium

Nice shot, Oxford are bringing out an 'Eddie Stobart' truck in 1/76 scale, very similar but with a Volvo cab. Incidently the Scania is an R400, I think the 400 refers to the BHP, the 'R' is the type of cab fitted, Scania cabs are identified by letters R=high set cab. P=low set cab. T=cab with bonnet (normal control). Oxford are also introducing a container trailer in 1/76 scale scheduled for release late this year/early next year.

A few more bits of info. The tractor unit has the high-line cab fitted( Scania give 3 options on their sleeper cabs, normal, high line and topline). The trailer is a double decker dry freight version (horrible things, you have to be very careful how you load them so they aren't top heavy and be careful where you go) I would suspect that it's possibly hauling goods for Tesco's.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

My bad, Sorry

Perhaps i better get my eyes tested, I was convinced that read 480.

Just to add to the cabs, Scania have also realeased a G cab which sits inbetween the P and the R cab series

Scania R Series, 480HP, Euro 4 Emmisions (Egr, so no Adblue)

It will have an Opticruise gearbox (has a clutch which works on First & reverse only).

It will be plated at 44ton MGW, and have a digital tacho.

Its pulling a triaxle step frame box (no idea of the make). Which by the way is empty.

Owen

Hippo,

I'm a bit dumb about this, but how do you know it's empty?

Steve

ps brilliant pics, Beast

Hi Steve,

I beg to differ and would say she's loaded, it's not very clear in the photo but it looks like the lift axle is down to me. If you look at the middle axle on the unit that is called a lift axle, on some trucks it comes down automatically as the truck is loaded by means of a load sensing valve, but on the Scania's you have a switch on the dash to drop the axle. Which is better in my opinion as if you start losing traction you can raise that axle to put more weight on the drive axle for extra grip. You can also get a tag axle which are fitted behind the drive axle although these are not so common anymore. If you look at most foreign trucks they are 4x2's meaning they do not use a lift or tag axle, this is because most european countries only run at 40 tons, where as we run at 44 tons hence the extra axle to spread the load more evenly.

ATB, Martyn.

Scania P114L 360 6x2 with lifting middle axle with a skeletal trailer loaded with a full (shown by the midlift axle being down)45' hi cube(9'6"high) container. This truck is around 6 years old by now and is in pretty good condition.I'm not sure I'd want to spend all week away in a cab you can't stand up properly in.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martyn, i won't disagre with you about the lift axle its not overy clear in the photo. I drive a tag axled scanny, and when the tags up there is nearly a foot of air underneath it.

Hi Pete i often do spend all week in my P cabbed Scanny. Its ok i'm 6 foot so you learn not to get out of the bunk to quickly

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the info on the axles etc, I was looking at the trailer! Now that I've looked again at the tractor I can see the lifted axle. I've seen some, mainly rigids, with a tag axle often with a smaller wheel.

Keep the photos coming.

Steve

ps

It wasn't that long ago that the road lobby was pushing for higher weights to keep up with the rest of Europe...and now we run heavier trucks!

That Scania is ex Securicor Omega Logistics but looks like its owned by an owner driver now, it probably started out hauling containers as I remember them running quite a few scanias on the containers. SOL were bought out by DHL, who have just offloaded the container arm to Maritime.

Another similar livery is the ex-Stobarts that were in Knauf livery. Some have blue lower bodywork, others black.

This one is an R114, not a P114, (4 grill slats vs 3) btw, and the 4 series was the forerunner of the R-series. 114 relates to 11 litre 4 series. The other cabfront plate is the BHP.

The Scania product range was quite easy to read for series one to four. Examples (all eleven litre) would be:

111 - 1 series

112 - 2 series

113 - 3 series

114 - 4 series

The R-series (or P-series for lower cab) as per the Stobart further up is effectively a 5 series. The "litre and series" badging has been replaced by cab type and BHP, for example R420

Volvo also seem to have dropped the litre rating from the product range, the FH12 and FH16 becoming the FH a while ago for instance

Quite a few of the current available trucks are repeated facelifts or updates of models dating back several years, some even to the 90s. Scania's R-series, Daf's XF, Volvo's FH and MAN's TGX all spring to mind. This could prove advantagous to modellers looking to represent something from a few years ago with a model of a current truck

HTH

jo

thats a 12litre HPI turbo compound 6x2 tractor with a highline cab,

It will have a 3 over 3 GRS900 gearbox and possibley a sliding 5th wheel.

Its also the last of the 4 series model as the R series was introduce in mid 2004

Hope this helps

Porkie:rolleyes:

Archived