Modern (August 2010) Lorrys - assistance sought

Hi all, I took these on Sunday at Polegate in Sussex. It was being used to carry and then locate a large piece of stone for use as a memorial, hence the Palfinger. I believe it's a Scania but the operator's name was where the logo would be. Also, the tri-axle trailer has a bigger spacing between the 2nd and 3rd axles than between the 1st and 2nd...looks like it's steering axle.

Steve

post-3676-004168500 1286969002_thumb.jpg

post-3676-001445200 1286969037_thumb.jpg

post-3676-002249400 1286969062_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It is a Scania 'T' cab and the trailer is a 'rear steer'. There is a model of this cab that is very close to 1/76 scale produced by a company called Automax. I am in the process of converting one to a recovery truck using the body from an Oxford model.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry to sidetrack this modern thread, but I have a query about an older machine. :mellow:

Any of you lorry buffs know anything about Scammell Trunkers (3 Axle tractor), I'm looking for wheelbase info so I can, hopefully, convert a Trackside Handyman.

Thanks

Steve

Yes, Its a Scania, T Cab, no longer made.

I drove one of those, once... and hated it !!

That bonnet sticking out in front seemed not only weird, but as it wasn't connected to the cab, which is independently sprung, it seemed to move about in front of you as you go along, as it's rigid to the chassis. :blink: It was a pain at junctions, having to edge it out into the traffic before you could get a good view to the road each side.

But the worst was reversing; with cabovers while reversing on mirrors you can forget "beyond the windscreen" pretty much, but on the T cab, not only is the bonnet still sticking out front, moving the "corners" beyond your usual terms of reference, but also the front wheels are way out there too, and give a whole different 'feel' to the rig, especially in reverse.

The one I drove wasn't a particularly big engine, IIRC, but it was quite a head-turner, and the regular driver loved it. I reckon he did think it was some kind of willy-extension, though... <_<

I must also admit I haven't added to this thread before, as I don't know that much about the technical specs of trucks. I just point 'em in the right direction. :rolleyes:

I must also admit I haven't added to this thread before, as I don't know that much about the technical specs of trucks. I just point 'em in the right direction. :rolleyes:

I used to be up with the gen when I first worked in Transport ops but enthusiam rapidly wained after a few late nights in the office rejigging my plan for the next day when the old Scanias foisted on our otherwise all ERF fleeted depot broke down.

That is a very tidy example of an early FH12, I suspect that the registration number is not the original one so we'll never know exactly how old it is. As a further piece of info the 12 in FH12 stands for the engine capacity ie a 12 litre engine. By the way the truck next to it is a Volvo F6.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Beast - presume that is what was mentioned here:

On this very piece of road two very unusual trucks operate, an ERF and a Foden Ballast tractors that tow five axle full trailers with long containers (45ft?) daily to the Wilton container depot.

I believe there is some loophole in the law which allows ballast tractors to operate higher gross weights

I often pass them in my car but never get a chance to snap them.

I think the derogation is for vehicles transporting containers or swap-bodies to or from rail terminals- it was intended to encourage companies to use rail for the trunk haul, and came in at the same time as the increase to gross train weight from 38 tonnes for normal artics.

An interesting and unusual setup on a UK road though.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Glorious Martyn :P :) - lorrys are "darkside" to me, hence my assistance requests, pleased I got something slightly unusual though, I like the apparent mismatch in size ! - a chunky lorry pulling a longer trailer (but I am easily pleased :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...

Another Volvo FH towing a loaded 40 foot High Cube (9'6") container. The tractor unit is now around 6 years old and it's interesting to see how the air deflection kit appears faded. I take it that the truck in the background didn't move while the pics were being taken?

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

They even used to have their own (road) coach for transporting staff.

Indeed they have.....more than one now. I think they've even got one or two on contract work, being a coach driver I've noticed them up and down the country.

I happen to drive a Scania K113..... bit long in the tooth tho. Haha.

• RMweb Premium

Daf XF 105, Super Space Cab.

Nice trucks, well spec'd, a good way to spend 70-80k

Its quite a new tractor unit, so would have a digital tacho, ad blue etc,

A centre lift axle means it can have a gross combined mass of 44000kg's.

The unit probably weighs 8-9tons.

Cheers

Owen

Archived