Modern (August 2010) Lorrys - assistance sought

Dooh, Cheers pete.

Your the first person ive met to like the bunk where it use to be.

I only get to drive them when ive finished repairing it so I take your word for comfort.

I like this thread Keeps the picks coming.

Dooh, Cheers pete.

Your the first person ive met to like the bunk where it use to be.

I only get to drive them when ive finished repairing it so I take your word for comfort.

I like this thread Keeps the picks coming

Believe it or not I've never had the pleasure of a Scania tractor unit, mainly Daf's and Mercs although I'm currently driving a MAN TGA. I'm only passing on what those of my mates who've had the pleasure tell me.

Pete

I hope you're all watching Eddie Stobart on ch5...

My wife was watching Eastenders so missed it, but to be honest I got the feel for the programme in the 4 hour journey from Hoddesdon back to Wiltshire as I must have seen hundreds of Eddie Stobart wagons. Which is really depressing bearing in mind I work for a much larger competitor and think I managed only to see 3 of ours...

On this very piece of road two very unusual trucks operate, an ERF and a Foden Ballast tractors that tow five axle full trailers with long containers (45ft?) daily to the Wilton container depot.

I believe there is some loophole in the law which allows ballast tractors to operate higher gross weights

I often pass them in my car but never get a chance to snap them.

On this very piece of road two very unusual trucks operate, an ERF and a Foden Ballast tractors that tow five axle full trailers with long containers (45ft?) daily to the Wilton container depot.

I believe there is some loophole in the law which allows ballast tractors to operate higher gross weights

I think the derogation is for vehicles transporting containers or swap-bodies to or from rail terminals- it was intended to encourage companies to use rail for the trunk haul, and came in at the same time as the increase to gross train weight from 38 tonnes for normal artics.

Any idea who the operator is for these? Will try to find out myself as well.

Denby transport used to run a standard artic unit and standard 40 foot curtainsider years ago with a jeep dolly between them. The tractor unit had a bit more ballast on it but allowed them to legally operate at 44 tonnes long before the approval was given to and from railheads, and then wider road network as a whole. They used to run the trailers to a ro-ro ferry in the north to go across to Sweden (IIRC) where the train weight of an artic was already at 44 tonnes. Took the need for excess trailers and transhipping out of the distribution . They had run with STGO Cat 3 (think) to allow them to be legal as it was classed as an abnormal load back then.

Can't find any pics of it on the web, but check out the Denby 'Extra' outfit they want to trial.

Daf xf 105 Super Space cab, either 410 or 460 from Wincanton haulage with a loaded 40' high cube container. You'll notice that his drivers side mirror has had an argument with something, possibly the mirror on another truck.Also if you look in front of the centre axle below the battery box you'll see something that is a recent addition to some trucks, namely the Adblue tank.

Pete

The box there is a very bog standard deep sea 40' high cube, 40'x8'x9'6" - it's got vents so most likely it's a type 45G1 (or 4510 on the older system) and it belongs to Triton, who are a big deep sea box leasing co. Boxes to this basic spec are probably the most common box on the planet.

The UBC bulktainer is a 30 footer, it's taller than 8'6" and wider than 8' but I wouldn't want to guess at other dimensions without seeing a type code. ;)

Being a 57 plate it will be one of the first new WCL (Wincanton Container Logistics) vehicles as opposed to being inherited from Hanbury Davies or CEL group, likewise the trailer being blue. Green Wincanton trailers are ex Carters/CEL, and Maroon ones are ex Hanbury.

Any idea who the operator is for these? Will try to find out myself as well.

Denby transport used to run a standard artic unit and standard 40 foot curtainsider years ago with a jeep dolly between them. The tractor unit had a bit more ballast on it but allowed them to legally operate at 44 tonnes long before the approval was given to and from railheads, and then wider road network as a whole. They used to run the trailers to a ro-ro ferry in the north to go across to Sweden (IIRC) where the train weight of an artic was already at 44 tonnes. Took the need for excess trailers and transhipping out of the distribution . They had run with STGO Cat 3 (think) to allow them to be legal as it was classed as an abnormal load back then.

Can't find any pics of it on the web, but check out the Denby 'Extra' outfit they want to trial.

Yes these two trucks have been operating on this road for quite a few years , i believe they are classed as a 'Locomotive' in traffic law legalese so can pull higher gross weights.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Beast

The last one is a late model Foden Alpha, being a 54 plate. They weren't made for very much longer. Apart from telling you its a 44t with a midlift axle and an upgraded front axle (9t i think), i am not to sure about engines etc, although there is a good chance there is a Cat engine, or a Cummins lump under that cab.

The cab itself is a DAF shell with a few pannels changed to make it look like a Foden not a Daf. It looks very clean and has a nice Kelsa Hi-bar fitted (top spots).

Cheers

Owen

Archived