Galleries - the future

• RMweb Gold
Don't want to sound pedantic but might or be a better option than and. Some useful historical photgraphs are not always of good quality.

Hi BoD,

Andy was right first time. And is what he meant. :)

(not quality) and (not historical) = (deleted)

is logically the same as

(quality) or (historical) = (not deleted)

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
Prototype images

If an image is not of good photographic quality and is not of historical interest it will be deleted.

Hi Andy,

Another prototype category worth retaining are images containing good modelling detail. For example this pic just posted: image #22907

Photo quality not too good and possibly not really "historical", but full of modelling detail, especially the trackwork.

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

We are still having to reject photos of layout planning/construction/work-in-progress which are not appropriate for a gallery but should be part of a topic or blog.

Note that you do not have to have a gallery to host photos for a topic or blog - I think this may have been the case when this software was first used but it isn't now.

• RMweb Gold

You've just ok'd my latest pic - but should it not be there as it's a model in progress ? I have got a blog with other construction pics in - I just wanted to highlight the model to a wider audience.

Happy if it needs to be removed.

Stu

Don't worry Stu, yours is OK if possibly marginal ;)

I was really aiming at sequences of woodwork, concrete, trackplans, bags of model components, that sort of thing.

It can be subjective so we're never going to be 100% correct.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lots of gallery photos recently that don't seem to have descriptions though, unless I'm missing something?

i agree - there have been some very interesting (well I think they were meant to be interesting?) prototype pics recently but it involved a lot of guesswork for me to arrive at what the subject really was, and my guess might not have been an accurate assessment of courseunsure.gif Even a note of location could be helpful.

We are still having to reject photos of layout planning/construction/work-in-progress which are not appropriate for a gallery but should be part of a topic or blog.

Hooray. It is a shame when Gallery is full of incomplete models and scantily-captioned pictures when Gallery should, in my view, be an informative eye-opener to RMweb. It is the first thing a newcomer sees.

So often I have come on line and opened up a Gallery picture only to find I have to search for additional information and have not always succeded. Please give a link if the images are part of a thread or blog.

I thought images for the gallery had to be approved by one of the Mod team before they are published. I got the impression that either this requirement had been dropped or there was an easing on titles, descriptions etc. Not a complaint just an observation that I'm still seeing some great images, but have no idea what they relate to.

To be honest, I'm surprised members want to publish great pics without telling us what/when/where as a good pic warrants that additional information. If its not worth adding that info, then maybe the pic doesn't warrant publication......:)

Photos do have to be approved. However there is a 'bulk' upload function (I know not where) which does not permit addition of captions prior to upload, or bypasses approval. Or so I believe.

This is why it is usually a batch of multiple images without any accompanying info.

Photos do have to be approved. However there is a 'bulk' upload function (I know not where) which does not permit addition of captions prior to upload, or bypasses approval. Or so I believe.

This is why it is usually a batch of multiple images without any accompanying info.

Yes there is a bulk upload, you can (and should) go back and edit ('mod') each image individually. The images still have to be approved if you use this facility AFAIK. I should imagine that any images that are posted through before captioning are let through 'on trust'.

There are guidelines and etiquette notices on this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/25393-gallery-submissions/page__view__findpost__p__257035, and images do have to be approved, but this has always been troublesome to implement consistently to be honest. The approval system was brought in to stop people uploading the entire contents of their memory card to the gallery without any kind of editing or filtering (it did happen) and to stop patently useless or technically poor images going in. There has been some improvement but the approval process is a little subjective - some photos with no titles other than xxxxx.jpg but with captions; some with explanatory titles and no captions; some with excellent captions but poor image; and so on.

Full implementation would require endless deletions, PMs, resubmissions etc and often the admin team do not have the time for that. It would of course be much easier if members read the guidance and posted accordingly :rolleyes:

once you have bulk uploaded photos there then appear with a red backgraund when you look at the gallery you have loaded then intp you can then add the info for the photos before there are approval

there is no need to opprove a photo with out captions with is there

for me deleat if no info for the photos

I think if we have a severe issue with the photos of half complete models and box fests and people would like those photos to be uploaded somewhere, then I think it's time we suggested sites which do image hosting thus getting those images away from the galleries on this site.

That way it's a win win, those people can upload those 'useful' pictures and the site will be a free-er flowing space without being crowded with images :)

what you think??

Bruce.

once you have bulk uploaded photos there then appear with a red backgraund when you look at the gallery you have loaded then intp you can then add the info for the photos before there are approval

there is no need to opprove a photo with out captions with is there

Thanks Brian,

I hadn't actually realised that the poster of the images could see them after upload (and before approval) so you're right in that there should be no excuse. The only problem is that all of the images sit in a strict queue so you can't get to the ones behind it in the queue until approving or disapproving.

As #6 explained it sometimes difficult to make the call on an interesting image or a bulk upload that's sitting there awaiting captions.

I hadn't actually realised that the poster of the images could see them after upload (and before approval) so you're right in that there should be no excuse.

Its a very useful feature making it easy to caption bulk uploads and to double check the image and title/caption before it gets approved, a bit like using 'preview post' really.

Archived