Galleries - the future

With the introduction of the new software we are now able to implement greater control over the quality of Gallery submissions.

Being honest there's been unnecessary usage of the facility with technically poor images and uninteresting content which generally devalues the value of the facility. There's also been a lack of suitable captions and descriptions that leave the reader in the dark to the point that it becomes frustrating.

If you need to use images for use in forum posts or blog entries there is the facility to upload images from the forum or blog functions without the need to upload them to the Gallery first.

The Gallery should be kept as a showcase for reasonable quality images of interesting material that are of interest in their own right without the need for a post or blog entry.

From this point forward Gallery submissions will be vetted by a member of the Admin team, which may mean a delay before it appearing publicly, for quality and compliance.

We will expect to see at bare minimum that the following has been populated.

submit image.jpg

I would have liked to remove the bulk upload facility and if I can find how to for just the Gallery I will do. In the interim if the images are uploaded via the bulk facility and are sufficiently interesting/satisfactory quality we will pass them on the understanding that the poster is responsible for returning to their Gallery within 24 hours to update the description information.

If an image is uploaded that is of poor quality we will just delete it. Unfortunately it is too time consuming to advise that it has been deleted and enter into correspondence on a low level matter.

If an image is of poor interest we will delete it. Same caveat.

If an image has no Title and/or description will delete it.

The responsibility will lie with the user to re-submit the image with Caption and Description.

I trust that you can accept the small inconvenience of the small delay before approval in the hop that we can stop the Gallery being a dumping ground.

Positive case in point.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/22325-picasso-autorail/ just hit the list for approval, checked for quality, interest and information. Passed for public consumption.

Looking at what's been in the Gallery in the last 24 hours Deltic21's images wouldn't have been passed for example as although they're interesting and of good quality I haven't got the foggiest what they relate to and would be better loaded into a forum post or a blog entry. On their own they mean little.

Retrospective selection would be time consuming although Im sooo tempted to blitz some. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't worry about any of yours from a technical, quality or interest perspective Rob but I can't recall about captions. ;)

Edit - I've been and checked and you pass the description criteria too.

Hi Andy

I agree completely with you on this matter. Many times I have looked at the gallery but found it most frustrating that there are no captions or information about the images shown which then spoils the pleasure of a good shot. Poor images, unless of a vintage nature, do no one any good.

Peter

Although I realise that some control is needed I do quite worry about my own gallery now as it contains some rather obscure stuff (industrial locos). In my defence everything that appears is aimed at modellers, for example there are plenty of detail shots of Ruston locos (48 and 88Ds classes, these locos have almost cult status), and a lot of Thomas Hill locos (posted to show the variety of locos that this manufacturer produced). I worry that any future contributions might be rejected by someone unsympathetic to what I'm trying to achieve in my galleries.

Hi Paul,

The question is then whether they should form part of a topic?

However if a description "Detail shots of 48DS's for reference material" accompanied each one we'd kno what you're aiming to provide for others.

Hi Paul,

The question is then whether they should form part of a topic?

However if a description "Detail shots of 48DS's for reference material" accompanied each one we'd kno what you're aiming to provide for others.

I do post images in the hope that others can use them for reference (which I know has happened) and to complement my blog.

Poor images, unless of a vintage nature, do no one any good.

That is a relevant point where due consideration will be given Peter, providing there's a description to support it.

I guess that means for all those b+w images that you haven't a clue what they are of - yet still might be of great value to someone who does, we are going to have lots more "guess the location/subject" threads ?

Ooh good 'cause they are quite a pleasant diversion ;)

I must admit that I have never found the gallery interesting since day 1 of the new software - I thought it might be, but was rapidly disappointed as it was overwhelmed by being used as a store for "my layout" and other photos that do have an important place - in their respective threads and not in the Gallery.

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant! Thank you Andy for making these changes. Sometimes I've missed some very good and informative stuff in the gallery, buried amongst the uninteresting and the untitled.

No more pics of bits of wood!;)

There will be a few of us happy now who have droned on about in the past!:P ;)

Andy,

can we also make it necessary that if pictures of models are uploaded that the put on what gauge they are as I don't know or cant guess half of them when they are detailed and weathered as to whether they are 00 or 0 gauge. just shows the high quality about.

Alistair

I have to admit i used to use the gallery quite often for all my pictures but that was generally because I didn't have a layout thread going and I have honestly only just discovered how to post images in a layout topic :lol: i will do my best to help and have a look through my gallery and delete pics that are rubbish camera quality etc.. I hope though that gallery pictures wont simply be deleted because they are "un-interesting" to the moderator as I understand some era's are not everyones cup of tea.

Andy, just wondering where my galleries, (all two of them so far, but more to come!) stand? If you have a look, you'll see that each is titled with the subject, and they are walk round photo essay type things for detailing a particular loco, as named in the gallery heading. No pic has individual comments, simply because they would be very repetitive - a pipe, another pipe, a crosshead, a crosshead from another angle... etc., etc. Is this the route I need to take, or can I carry on as I do now?

I hope though that gallery pictures wont simply be deleted because they are "un-interesting" to the moderator as I understand some era's are not everyones cup of tea.

I think you do us quite a dis-service there, Monkey. Being open-minded is part of the job, we all understand there are other preferences than our own and if there was anything we were really undecided about we'd confer (just as we do on anything else).

Andy, just wondering where my galleries, (all two of them so far, but more to come!) stand? If you have a look, you'll see that each is titled with the subject, and they are walk round photo essay type things for detailing a particular loco, as named in the gallery heading. No pic has individual comments, simply because they would be very repetitive - a pipe, another pipe, a crosshead, a crosshead from another angle... etc., etc. Is this the route I need to take, or can I carry on as I do now?

I just looked at the Fairburn one Al, and I don't see a problem there; as you say the 'photostrip' heading clearly states what it's all about.

Andy, I just uploaded then saw your message. Mine might be ok, but it's drawing related rather than a model... but sits in area of interst that led me back to rail modeling and is an example of detail and weatheing albeit in 2D rather than 3D. But, it's you call.

I think you do us quite a dis-service there, Monkey. Being open-minded is part of the job, we all understand there are other preferences than our own and if there was anything we were really undecided about we'd confer (just as we do on anything else).

Apologies, i wasn't implying that mods are biased in anyway, sorry if it reads that way. And glad to here that there is a bit of leeway for other peoples preferences :)

MM

Andy, I just uploaded then saw your message. Mine might be ok, but it's drawing related rather than a model... but sits in area of interst that led me back to rail modeling and is an example of detail and weatheing albeit in 2D rather than 3D. But, it's you call.

No problem there Jon, they're super drawings and suitably annotated.

I just nuked my gallery, but I had to delete each image one by one, is there a way to do this for multiply images?

Not sure if your Gallery is the same as mine but if there's a small box at the top right of the images whilst in the album view you should be able to delete multiples.

I just looked at the Fairburn one Al, and I don't see a problem there; as you say the 'photostrip' heading clearly states what it's all about.

Thanks, you've just saved my sanity! Otherwise it would lead into the never ending path of extreme rivet counting:

[Addenoidal voice] "Here you'll note the Watson, Brigstoke bifurcated flange adaptor. A classic model that can be dated to the limited build of spring 1932, as it is fitted with the bolt-on on spleen gland, knurled pivot adjuster, and interior slime trap. If you look carefully, you can see the technique of splitpin folding on the castle nut as practiced by A.R. Grimewambler before his accident on 21st April of that year, after which the tails were turned counterclockwise due to limited movement in his artificial arm..." [/Addenoidal voice]

:D

Archived