Galleries - the future

Perhaps why so many images that are unwanted by so many are still being posted to the Gallery is that the Gallery is itself confusing.

I must say that I still do not get the subtle difference between uploading to the Gallery and uploading to the server for topics. Or indeed what makes a photo gaining approval, or of interest, in the Gallery and yet not approved but of interest elsewhere.

This selectivity, which has always been seen by me as individually judgmental and without real justification has put me off using the Gallery and with the ability to upload images elsewhere at least enables me to get by without its use or potential misuse.

Others I can see, less familiar with the technology or terminology and simply not seeing or understanding the new rules just simply do not understand the subtle differences.

I'm pretty certain that it does but I'm going to bulk upload some shots to double check (which I'll delete afterwards).

EDIT: Yes they do! They are on a different coloured background. Now to delete them!

Thanks Paul,

That's really useful and helpful. We can thus take a harder, and more beneficial, line.

I think if we have a severe issue with the photos of half complete models and box fests and people would like those photos to be uploaded somewhere, then I think it's time we suggested sites which do image hosting thus getting those images away from the galleries on this site.
... or stick those photos in a "workbench" thread, where they belong?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There should be no problem but make sure a few basics are in place first.

1. The pictures are your own;

2. They have a file name which ends in .jpg or .jpeg (.bmp as well if memory serves)

3. They are stored on your own computer and are not in a system called iPhoto if you a Mac

If you can tell us what computer you are using (PC or Mac) and which browser (such as IE, Firefox, Safari) and which version then we might be able to help spot if there is a problem. Mac users must first click-drag photos out of iPhoto onto desktop before upload as iPhoto will not permit a direct upload of any image to the web.

If you are trying to upload photos which are already stored on a third-party host site such as Flickr, Photobucket or similar then you should instead copy and paste the link provided by that site (called "Direct LInk" in most cases) and that will display the image here although it will remain hosted by the third-party site and not by RMweb.

Uploads to theRM web gallery will not be displayed to other users until checked by a Mod here which can take a day or so; you will however be able to see them backed by a pink border which is removed once they are approved.

• RMweb Premium

If you can tell us what computer you are using (PC or Mac) and which browser (such as IE, Firefox, Safari) and which version then we might be able to help spot if there is a problem. Mac users must first click-drag photos out of iPhoto onto desktop before upload as iPhoto will not permit a direct upload of any image to the web.

The other way around this is to just go to the iphoto library file and select the files you want from there. The way to find this library is OS dependent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Agreed that there needed to be changes and I too find un-described images a bit of a waste of time.

Agreed the need to describe the scale of models each time and not to do tons of repeats of very similar images, I too would stop bulk uploads.

Agreed that you need to weed things out at the point of putting them forward for inclusion and I will accept without question any rejection of an image.

I hope that you don't mind me posting some of my flights of fancy with liveries etc. they seem to get some interest.

I have always been selective about what I post and promise to be even more selective in future, with things that are interesting and/or useful to the modellers out there.

Thanks for your continued efforts on our behalf,

Cheers, Matthew

I hope that you don't mind me posting some of my flights of fancy with liveries etc. they seem to get some interest.

Of course not, they're a breath of fresh air!

Hello,

Has there been an update to the method of posting new photos in a gallery recently? It looks very different.

I've tried clicking on the Upload button, which gives me the options of New Album or Select An Album - but neither of them do anything when I click on them. (and I was logged in at the time)

Am I doing something wrong?

Me too FR Fan

Waited ages before clicking 1000 times (like my son keeps telling me to do!)

Then I clicked the upload button slightly higher up the screen - and this one worked straight away.

From there it was fairly similar to before.

Am I right in thinking...

• The pre approval feature has been removed. Mt two this morning seemed to upload straight away without needing to await Mod approval.
  • You no longer need to "watch" one of your images to know when a comment is received, Your main page shows you the most recent comments (very slick - I like this)
  • Loads of other good updates like teh ability to "like" a thread or album and the ability to have albums by same poster grouped.
  • Is there a way to have the images "running backward" so that when viewers open your album they see the newest images 1st - mine loads with the oldest - you have to click a few links to see the newer images?

I am glad Galleries has survived (and grown) - I like this section

Sorry all......Just found a separate thread by Andy explaining the changes with various posted comments about the new features.

Mods - feel free to delete my post above this or to transfer it over to the new one.

Sorry - easily confused

Stuart

Archived