Modelzone Holborn

G-BOAF

• 2 weeks later...

As already noted on the 'Hornby supply and demand gremlins' thread Modelzone Holborn are having a 'relocation sale'.

25% of all stock excluding Hornby and Scaletrix (for reasons discussed here before).

Noting that some of the Hornby stock in the display cases was being boxed up this afternoon.

No news on where they may be moving to but apparently the last trading day will be on or before 24.03.13. Facebook and their web-site will reveal all when this is known.

Couldn't resist the Windhoff MPV for just over £50 (current sale price minus the 25% reduction).

Several B*** P******'s still in stock in both scales for those that might still be after one.

So until a relocation is confirmed there may now be next to no proper model shops in Central London (aside from the limited selection at the LT Museum and Ian Allen Waterloo).

A sign of the times perhapes.

No, not in favour of Westfield as I understand. The Holborn rent was increased beyond sustainable levels. In an 'unrelated' development, the landlord and Camden Council are planning to build a Premier Inn Hotel on the site. Read into that what you will. The Stratford store is much smaller, and won't get the tourist trade that central London does. I mean, Westfield isn’t exactly a tourist destination. Things may change when the QE Olympic Park opens, but even then, for the most part its a treck to get to.

MZ are looking for a new site, but are having difficulty. You would have thought there would be plenty in London with the number of high street stores going under recently, but the supermarkets have been snapping them up. So there will be tens of Morrisons and Tescos in Central London, and no model shops! A nice diverse economy we are building ourselves.

Given the main customer base was tourists (I would imagine), this will be a massive blow for Hornby etc. It also brings to an end many many years of history of model shops in the Holborn area. Beatties originally took over the Basset Lowke showroom I understand; that showroom, according to Google, opened in 1908, so now ends 115 years of model shops in the area. We may criticise MZ at times, but there’s history passing us by here.

Given the main customer base was tourists (I would imagine), this will be a massive blow for Hornby etc. It also brings to an end many many years of history of model shops in the Holborn area. Beatties originally took over the Basset Lowke showroom I understand; that showroom, according to Google, opened in 1908, so now ends 115 years of model shops in the area. We may criticise MZ at times, but there’s history passing us by here.

When I was working in London, until a few years ago, it seemed to me that Hornby's main tourist outlet was the always top-priced establishment on several floors in Regent Street, which certainly was not staffed by anyone with knowledge of railways, neither model nor full-size! 

Off topic, I was in that shop one day when a very well-dressed Japanese lady with a son, perhaps 7 years old, asked to be shown a suitable Airfix kit for the little boy. The assistant reached up to a shelf behind him and proffered her a kit if 'Enola Gay' - which certainly had an impact on Japan in real life!  When I spoke to the department manager, he said, 'well, it's a nice big kit!'

That was my last ever visit to that shop.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Off topic, I was in that shop one day when a very well-dressed Japanese lady with a son, perhaps 7 years old, asked to be shown a suitable Airfix kit for the little boy. The assistant reached up to a shelf behind him and proffered her a kit if 'Enola Gay' - which certainly had an impact on Japan in real life!  When I spoke to the department manager, he said, 'well, it's a nice big kit!'

That was my last ever visit to that shop.

Richard

With tongue slightly in cheek here that never stopped me from building a Heinkel 111 and they took the roof of the cathedral in my home city.I know what you're saying though Richard and I've been in Hamleys too.Typical staff of today though.

I was there about four hours ago and it is now 50% off everything except Hornby and Scalextric. There were certainly 50% Off notices on the Bachmann shelves.

Having said that, I didn't see much left in the way of railway stock.

I was there about four hours ago and it is now 50% off everything except Hornby and Scalextric. There were certainly 50% Off notices on the Bachmann shelves.

Having said that, I didn't see much left in the way of railway stock.

As of 16.00hrs this afternoon.

Still one OO and two N 'custard dipped' B*** P******s. So the OO one would be well under £200 for those who are not too fussed about the fictional livery.

Also one Tornado (oringinal livery).

And Class 85 (non TOPS blue version with crest).

Also a few Blue-Grey Mk1 BSK's.

I managed to secure a Railfreight BDA from them at £16 which isnt too bad, lot of the stock when I went there on Thursday afternoon with my friend, had gone tryed to divuldge iformation about where they were moving to but to no avail

NL

Except for (I think) a bachamann B1 and an O4, all railway RTR stock is gone. A few kits and sundries of railway stuff left, picked up some ratio fending, gradient posts and an Oxford Diecast transit for just ofver £5 total.

Shop was being dismantled as I was in there. Not long to go now

Today, the final day, remaining stock was marked down to 75% discount and a feeding frenzy ensured that it was all but cleared by the afternoon. By this time there was virtually no railway left except for odds and ends but I took the opportunity to buy a few Peco bits at 25% of RRP and indulged in a couple of the prestige diecast models which ordinarily retailed at around the £40 mark but today only were affordable!

So I guess that's the end of an era with the very last central London model shop gone (for now at least). Hopefully they will find another suitable site, whatever anyone says about them one way or another I have acquired many good bargains there and the staff have been great.

I went in hoping to get some bargains on Saturday and there was very little of interest left sadly but I did pick up an "Ashes to Ashes" police car and Gene Hunt's Audi 1:43 set at half price for my 7mm project - I'm sure the bullet holes on the Audi will come off easily.

I also picked up "The Toyota that wouldn't die" from Top Gear for a fiver as a bribe for my wife (who is a Top Gear fan) for letting me go.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

New store opens in New Oxford Street on Monday 3rd June:

In March, we announced the closure of our flagship store in Holborn, Central London. After 2 months of searching we have now found a brand new home just 300m west of the original store!

Find us at 52-56 New Oxford Street, opening Monday 3rd June at 9:30am. The first 30 customers through the door will receive a FREE Goody bag worth over £75 filled with ModelZone goodies.

Plus, don’t miss the special F1 appearance outside the store on the morning of the launch, and the official ribbon cutting at 12:30pm

:sungum:

New store now open.

Much MUCH smaller than the old store. Limited railway range availble, 90% Hornby with some peco and one Bachmann item, but they are not fully stocked, so I would expect to see the full range in at some point.

Importantly the range of bits and pieces, including tools and metals/platic materials is still there and seems good.

True to word, they were giving away goodie bags. Basind on general RRP, and including a £10 gift voucher, I've worked out they were worth about £98.

Unfortunately £30 of that is olympic/james bond tat - so its not true to say they can't even give the stuff away...! also some fictitous revell spaceship

But that's £60 of stuff that is vageuly nice/useful. Two a/c kits which will be made on day, and some poly cememt - always useful and a 1/18 diecase Lamborghini, whic I don't have much use for; nice model but may go on ebay!

Nice to see a model shop opening in central london for a change, and I wish them well with it.

• RMweb Gold

I must have been close behind you! I'm glad to see them keeping up the Holborn(ish) connection. I was told that this location may be temporary (2 years or so), and they have another in mind nearby.

Dave

Archived