Comments on my 10' x 3' N Gauge plan

Dale_the_Noob

This is my current plan for my layout.

Its a Mid 80s BR Blue era layout.

post-4184-000676100 1286214555_thumb.jpg

Its a twin line with passing loops for fast trains. It also has a branchline, trains can get on and off the branchline to the mainline and into and out of the bay platform.

The branchline goes up around 1:40 to 1:35 after leaving the station and the mainline drops 1:40 to allow the branchline to cross.

The rear of the layout I've still not decided on as I can't decide between a main fiddle yard and a small raised fiddle yard for the branch line both non scenic or a scenic siding area with headshunt and a small terminus on the branchline so that I can practice my scenic work and I get to play trains more.

The front of the layout will be the main part and the rear will be decided on when I get the boards layed.

I hope the front of the layout can be operated prototypically and any input would be great.

If you go for sidings in the fiddleyard, split them with some facing each direction and the ability to swap lines so they pass through on the right lines through the station.

I would think about more than one exit from the sidings/loco yard as it would be restricting in prototype form that nothing can exit when there is a train in the station.

• RMweb Premium

I would be looking at pushing the branch line curve as far to the right hand end of the board as I could to reduce the gradients that your require, given that these are going to be on quite a sharp curve as well.

post-4184-003562500 1286358319_thumb.jpg

I printed the plan out full size and came up against a few problems, so have updated the plan

I've done a few changes...

1. Added some crossovers to make access to the DMU and loco depot a bit easier

2. Changed the pointwork around the loco shed to fit more in but take up less space.

3. Changed to a fiddleyard at the back - The trains were rather short and so very limiting and I want to run full length HSTs.

Dave - Anything smaller and I won't get the final enjoyment out of it. I kept starting planning a small layout and they always grew. I've been building up plans for the last 2 - 3 years, so its going to be a long project anyway. I've got lots of the track already and most of the stock. Baseboard frame arrives this week and then I can do some work on the gradients and see if there is a way I can reduce them at all.

• RMweb Premium

Might be a silly question but why put the upper branch fiddle yard over the the main lines. You could easily move this along a little so that it did not cross the lines. This will make construction and track cleaning a fraction easier and should not impact on the running of the layout.

I'm not 100% but I might make the branch end in a small terminus, just to practice scenary etc. so the mainlines will go into a tunnel.

Or I might just make it into a small fiddle yard which will be in the middle at the back.

I've not decided yet (and probably won't till it comes to doing that bit

The point that allows through trains onto the centre road through the station, could you swap it for a left point rather then the current right, it places a bigger speed restriction on the through traffic than on the stopping trains when it should be the other way around so that through trains are not slowed any more than they need to be.

You still need a small headshunt after the DMU sidings even if just to protect the mainline from strays.

You still need a small headshunt after the DMU sidings even if just to protect the mainline from strays.

Just a siding facing the mu shed before it gets to the mainline, so if a mu accidentally leaves it goes on to the headset? But with the point the other way they can go straight on to the mainline from the shed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Firstly, very nice project. BR-Blue is also becoming my favourite era, but maybe my memory is making everything better than it actually was. But for the D&E enthusiast, the infrastructure was still reasonably intact making for very intersting layouts and operation.

Can I suggest adding a further siding to the branch fiddle? That could be used for your choice of freight working which would bring further variation to the traffic on the branch. the train would work to and from the bi-directional middle road in the fiddle and from your latest plan freight could always be routed on the correct up/down main lines.

And if you pull your two general purpose sidings slightly downward your head shunt for the dmus could also be routed away from the platform ramp, thus "avoiding expensive platform reconstruction in the event of a runaway"!

Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck with construction and looking forward to photos!

Regards

JGP

Hi JGP

I love the BR Blue era, although I lived in Croydon and only travelled on the southern EMUs and don't think I've ever been on a mainline loco hauled service and never seen anything but a 33 or 73 sititng at a station or hauling the gatwick express.

I think the branch fiddle will grow and move to the right so I can hold slightly longer trains and I will probably send a small freight train pulled by a 20, 31 or 37 up there. Its partly why I wanted access to the branch from the mainlines, so through traffic could go up and down the branchline.

I now have a thread in the layout section, so please add comments to the new thread...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/23254-nembrington-park-n-gauge-10-x-3-br-blue/

Archived