The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Just a brief call before we get various final bits & bobs done and ablutions completed - make sure you all behave yourselves while I'm away but if not then please be careful and Tony and Aditi have a nice hols.  Hopefully we'll get to Swansea on time this year as long as NR don't shut any tunnels ahead of us and FGW's trains don't breakdown - fingers are firmly crossed.

I do wonder where we're going as the weather forecast is increasingly dire for most of the west coast all the way from Penzance to Barrow - somehow I can't foresee any scrambles for the steamer chairs on the helideck :O

Oh and yes Tony - getting the car to change gear for you is not a bad idea but I still like a manual 'box - and my present car has 6 forward gears which is quite good fun.

Have a good day and have a good week folks.

• Like 1

Morning all,

Just a brief call before we get various final bits & bobs done and ablutions completed - make sure you all behave yourselves while I'm away but if not then please be careful and Tony and Aditi have a nice hols.  Hopefully we'll get to Swansea on time this year as long as NR don't shut any tunnels ahead of us and FGW's trains don't breakdown - fingers are firmly crossed.

I do wonder where we're going as the weather forecast is increasingly dire for most of the west coast all the way from Penzance to Barrow - somehow I can't foresee any scrambles for the steamer chairs on the helideck :O

Oh and yes Tony - getting the car to change gear for you is not a bad idea but I still like a manual 'box - and my present car has 6 forward gears which is quite good fun.

Have a good day and have a good week folks.

Happy holidays Mike. I will stay land based and playing with my 6-speed box.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all! More furniture procurements today, but the end is in sight. Thank the stars! Nice weather this morning, thankfully - had a rainy and windy interlude in the afternoon yesterday.

Speaking of controversy - there is a humungeous cock up going on in Mainz at the moment.

50% of the signallers are either on holiday or off sick.  Many long distance trains are being diverted via Mainz-Kastel and Mainz Hauptbahnhof is as good as closed in the evenings.

The DB have asked their staff to come back from their holidays early and the whole issue is rapidly turning into a debacle.  All through trying to save a few quid.  The bean counters don't always know best - despite what they may think!

That's a typical "facepalm" issue indeed! I figure that's what you get when you try streamlining a business for the stock market (no pun intended), as Deutsche Bahn's leadership have tried in the past...

morning all,cool here,not going to get into the classic car argument,got a 54 mk1 zephyr,not for investment but just to drive......never had the guts to add all the bills up ! but 22 years later its still going and still fun! current daily hack for last 6 years xantia 20hdi  157000 still going strong still gives over 50 mpg on a run and still very comfy! so while its wheels are going round im ahppy ! as for more modern cars there all the same.....over complex(driven by costomer demands mainly)and hence expensive to repair,only one small piece of advice as for the wheel brg.....beware cheep non genuine parts,there cheep for a reason......25 plus years in the motor trade so beleve me it might not be that expensive in the long run.....

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, up earlier and the sun is shining must get some washing in.Final push in the conservatory today after yesterdays diversion to make room for DD1's new computer after all the trouble with her Dell laptop overheating this is a desktop case big enough to live in.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rubbish bags have been arranged and son has been delivered to station. Most of Matthew's work is data entry but he has had to talk to a few potential students who are having difficulty with the enrolment process. He said the work can be repetitive so talking to people is a nice change. He also said the other office staff (some temps and admin staff seconded to admissions) are friendly.

Tony 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy trails Mike.

Morning all.

Sunny and warm this morning - today is Schrodingers birthday and not his birthday.

I'm after a picture of 66101 in it's DBS livery, it's been to Felixstowe once during daylight and I couldn't make it, today is allocated a train which brings it to the area around 17:40 - yippee!!!

Also today a 90, which has been lost in Crewe for a long, long time is also returning, dragged by a 47, at 18:30 in the area - yippee!!!

Yes you've guessed, I can't get both of them. Typical, like the mythical buses, nothing for a while and then two come at once - boooo

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Saw one shooting star just after 10pm too tired to stay up and see more. Mind you we were paked on the camp site rather too many lights for good viewing. Saw them a few years ago in Minehead when it was most spectacular about 1 or 2 a minute. Also saw the space station on Monday night. Walking the dogs last thing is quite good for seeing the sky. Last year it was the super nova in the pinwheel galaxy actually looked light a dim star near one of the bits of the plough. Not impressive but it hadn't been visible before so the Super Nova was many times brighter than a whole galaxy now that is impressive.

Got the keys to the new bungalow (new to us not actually new) one surprise was that you could see the sea from the two bedrooms. Previously the heavy net curtains had blocked the view.

The rain has now arrived so it will be a wet walk with the woofers this morning.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Talking of classic cars ...

post-6662-0-72611000-1376467378_thumb.jpg

According to a meerkat this is a 1977 Morris Marina Super, 1798cc, petrol, 5dr, manual - so either the plates are wrong (!) or the meerkat is wrong.

A plonker in the black car visible to the right asked if I wanted to photograph his car ? "No, thanks, it's not a classic" ... "Mummy, that man made fun of my car, boo hoo"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The auto box on the Freelander has 6 forward gears as well. It is very smooth to drive. If one feels the neeed, the lever can be pushed to the left while in "drive" and gears can be selected by moving the lever backwards or forwards for "up" and "down" shifts. I've never bothered! If the terrain control is set to what looks like a desert icon the car does suggest selecting gears manually may be better!

• RMweb Gold

Talking of classic cars ...

According to a meerkat this is a 1977 Morris Marina Super, 1798cc, petrol, 5dr, manual - so either the plates are wrong (!) or the meerkat is wrong.

Simples... the meerkat is wrong! 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Yet another bright but cool morning.

Beast - I think that's a Maxi. There never was a 5-door Marina, even the 4-door version had a boot not a hatch, and by S-reg, I think it had been rebadged as an Ital. Hatches are a relatively recent phenomenon, actually.

Unusually busy day yesterday saw me mowing and then spending several hours with the garden shredder processing fallen branches from that tree I posted a few days ago. The shredder is not my favourite accessory (I wasn't about to say tool) and it jams up too often, but if you live within its strict capabilities it does do something.

In the afternoon we disassembled the stairlift, which Deb had last used to come down on 7th August last year, the day she left for England. It cost nearly £7k, and was used for about 3 months. Now it's scrap - no-one wants it. The installation was certainly thorough, with some of the supports not only bolted but epoxied to the floor. Took us about 3 hours, but we have left the components partly assembled - indeed re-assembled, just in case a future owner needs to re-install it. Everything looks spacious around the site now!

Builder Jon wants to get on with rebuilding his own house at Montmirail, so he can sell it. So I've agreed we'll defer the bathroom works here until the Autumn, by which time he hopes to have finished his roof.

I hope Patricia looks after SM Mike and the weather is more comfortable than seems forecast.

Enjoy your day.

• RMweb Premium

In the seventies, actually 1976 to be precise, I nearly bought a red Alfasud - luckily I suddenly changed my mind and bought a brand new Citroen GS - what a good car that was!

Best, Pete.

I had a 1975 Alphasud from new. The "stainless steel" bumpers and trim went rusty after two weeks! In fact I had 2 Alphasuds in a row. By the time I had run the first one into several other cars and sundry objects it was so rusty that the only people that would take it in part exchange were Alpha!

The second one was a much better car and didn't rust, started on most days and was great fun to drive. It went to the breakers after meeting head on with a Transit van with a closing speed of around 120mph. I got out of it unscathed even though the only thing left intact was the driver's door! I changed my driving style (slightly) after that.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Ian - that must be maddening.

I assume a large labour cost for installation and one size doesn't fit all but one would think that the drive etc., should be of use to someone.

It sounds like a Double Glazing/Hearing Aid/Cavity Insulation type operation with (ahem!) profits well built in.

• RMweb Gold

A belated morning to you all,

Dry, sunshine & 16oC with very slight chance of a shower later.

Definitely Hump day here 'cos I've got it! :banghead:  :crazy:

As suspected my new Broadband didn't get connected by midnight as promised so I spent an hour on the phone at 6.00am to a very nice lady in India! The upshot is that my ancient desktop which I'm using at the moment will connect wirelessly (via a dongle) but my not quite so ancient laptop with built in wireless won't! I've booked a service visit from my IT expert (my son) to sort it out.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Bag of implements for plumbing and electrical requirements packed and younger grandson about to be loaded into car so we can return him to his home. It is the celebration of the twin granddaughters birth last year so I have to smile a lot and be non-grumpy all day. Wish me luck everyone and I hope you all have bountiful times!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Wendesday - staff squabble and case allocation meeting day.  I just can't be bothered with them some days!

#sigh#.

I think I mentioned a while ago that I had been gently hinting that Aditi should consider retiring when she is 60 later this year especially as the doctor was warning her that her blood sugar levels might need insulin treatment rather than the tablets currently prescribed. Although I was told to cease the topic she has come to that conclusion herself now. Her recent monitoring of her diabetes shows that it is well controlled when she isn't at work. There are various things she feels committed to complete and is going to discuss retiring next Spring with the HR people. Matthew has noticed even in his few days working there that there seem to be a lot of people in HR!

• RMweb Gold

A belated morning to you all,

Dry, sunshine & 16oC with very slight chance of a shower later.

Definitely Hump day here 'cos I've got it! :banghead:  :crazy:

As suspected my new Broadband didn't get connected by midnight as promised so I spent an hour on the phone at 6.00am to a very nice lady in India! The upshot is that my ancient desktop which I'm using at the moment will connect wirelessly (via a dongle) but my not quite so ancient laptop with built in wireless won't! I've booked a service visit from my IT expert (my son) to sort it out.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Thanks to the daughter of another ER I probably now know the answer to this one!

If you have a new BT router it probably expects you to be using something like WPA/WPA2 encryption on your devices. If the built in wireless on the laptop doesn't support that a dongle may be required. They are quite cheap now fortunately

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

The modern staffing levels of HR never cease to amaze me - it wasn't like that when I was an HR adviser in the NHS, far from it in fact. 

HR here is a joke, sadly, and massively overstaffed with folk who leave very soon as it's such a poorly managed department.  Staff turnover is huge, so there's no continuity or depth of knowledge.  Ripe for privatisation I'd say, in our current environment.