The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

They do have a low centre of gravity but they are also very long...........

Best, Pete

Amazing stuff.

I heard that 80% of all Harleys ever made are still on the road!......the other 20% actually made it home.

(crash helmet on and running)

JF

DD Is that painted face chappie Harry?

Good Monday morning all!.

Starting yesterday the morning Oats porridge has been lumpy!

A different brand of oats? A different cook?  A mystery to be investigated.

Today the Sun is once again shining out of a totally clear blue sky!

Rain due to return on Wednesday!

I hope the week turns out to be bearable, but preferably pleasant and enjoyable!

• Like 1

DD Is that painted face chappie Harry?

Good Monday morning all!.

Starting yesterday the morning Oats porridge has been lumpy!

A different brand of oats? A different cook?  A mystery to be investigated.

Today the Sun is once again shining out of a totally clear blue sky!

Rain due to return on Wednesday!

I hope the week turns out to be bearable, but preferably pleasant and enjoyable!

Hi Don, I'll ask SWMBO about the porridge, she's a guid Scots lass (with some Irish roots) and can make a mean porridge....

Are you using the spurtle correctly?

Dave.

I've always said "you can't beat a good spurtle" especially if driving a Manx(y) Roller.

I passed another incongruous site yesterday - in a bungalow on a council estate oops, social housing area near my daughter's a garage contained a silver RR of around 30-40 years age. My simple brain cannot compute the fuel consumption and costs of such a vehicle according with someone living in social housing, I have to assume that the tenant rents out his/her garage to improve the income stream.

Thanks Dave, but I live in an old age home where the porridge is made for us. Up until now the Oats porridge has always been perfectly smooth and delightful, the Maltabela (malted Sorghum) equally smooth and only the Maize meal porridge inclined to be occasionally lumpy. I think they have changed the brand of oats. I hope that they quickly revert to the previous oats. :blum:

Morning all. Back to work for me after a week and a half off. <groan> Still, I'm feeling more or less recharged, chillaxed, in a happy place, and ready to go. 9 more days on this project and as of yet no sign of an extension. I have requested reassignment but unless there is billable work for me to slide into I may get dragged back again. This thing has had more slippage than a boy racer on a frozen lake.

Younger brother is still wandering about London somewhere. Haven't seen or heard from them in several days. No doubt SIL has him on a short leash. Chances are I won't get a chance to see him again before they leave. Oh well its a trade off. Would be nice to see him but that is offset by the agony of putting up with her.

Now I just need several hours to catch up on ERs.

Have a great day everyone.

• RMweb Premium

Oi! It looks as though that Rolls is going to be drive by a FEMALE!

Concerned  misogynist of Pinelands!

Oh no Don, your worries are misplaced!  The younger female is Mrs NHN, the slightly older one is a good friend's wife (she's also a Magistrate I meet regularly in Court  - slightly different circumstances!) they are both getting in the back to be chauffered around the village. Mentioning mysoginism to either would be a BAD move!  Tough gurls, both.

There's a train connection (I'll get banned again!) as the owner of the roller is a friend who models the Santa Fe in N scale.  I'm not sure how he avoided being in the photo, I'm the photographer.

The Roller is 'Grace', the weekend toy of the friend, I think it's mid 70's.

• Like 2

Mike seems to be cruising past The Mumbles this morning.......I will not be cruising anywhere today, I'm scheduled to pick up Daughter's Flute from the repair shop in New Providence. The guy that works on my guitars is called a Luthier (he builds them too). I wonder what the equivalent is for Woodwind?

Have a nice day.

Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I think in Polite Society they are called "Wollers", weflecting the way such folk speak! Yes, it looks like whatever the new name was for the Shadow in that era. When in the '60s the name for the entirely new model that became the Silver Shadow was being devised, and having regard to august predecessors like Silver Ghost, Silver Wraith and Silver Cloud, one of the suggested names was Silver Mist. Dom and Robert will tell you why this one got the thumbs down!

One of the horses, Bronte, seems to have the blues, is probably lame, but is eating normally. I will have to get Anita - our farmer's wife friend who went to Deb's old skool - to have a look with me. I'm hoping it's not laminitis - a swelling of the foot - because that will need me to starve the poor thing for a bit, and that takes some segregation. Not easy for me.

After a showery Sunday, today looks brighter, and the weather is headed back to very warm later this week, they say.

Good to see a couple of less familiar faces on here this morning.

Enjoy your week!

• Like 2

Morning all

I think in Polite Society they are called "Wollers", weflecting the way such folk speak! Yes, it looks like whatever the new name was for the Shadow in that era. When in the '60s the name for the entirely new model that became the Silver Shadow was being devised, and having regard to august predecessors like Silver Ghost, Silver Wraith and Silver Cloud, one of the suggested names was Silver Mist. Dom and Robert will tell you why this one got the thumbs down!

!

Initially I took this to be a response to the woodwind question from Trisonic! Doh!

Yours,

Confused of Torquay!

My first FiL  had a Shadow - horrible POS. He then took delivery of a II in Miami just after he retired  to Palm Beach (in Champagne!)  I remember being met at the airport (in 1977?) by this thing when I visited. I was glad of the seat belts to prevent my butt sliding around on the rear seats.

I  was lucky in that an Uncle had a Chrysler Hemi powered Bristol, much nicer car and one of the last true GT's.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, the day started as bright and sunny it is now battleship grey with leaden clouds a torrential downpour looks imminent and only the lightest of breezes to move the clouds along. Other news I found my big bag for cuttings so demolition continues for the hedge and MrsB continues her exercises, they don't look much but they seem to pull muscles about.

Morning again gang, 

The Roller story reminds me of when I was working for a civil engineering plant company ( several decades back) one of my fellow plant fitters restored old cars as a hobby. One Monday he brings a nearly restored Roller and leaves it in the staff car park.  When the depot manager arrived (late as always on a Monday), he almost has a heart attack....thinking that some one important from H.O was around......took him some time to find the culprit...he was not amused, (but we all thought it  hilarious!) 

And for those casting envious  glances towards my GF,  I have arranged some security for her!  (See photo)  

post-4282-0-03956900-1376907394.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Needed to get some stuff from the electronics store inside Central Station and managed to stumble across this:

img_13912hy5e.jpg

The first couple of 442s for the Central German S-Bahn system which is to open in December have begun revenue service, working several semi-fast turns such as to Halle. They look rather striking in my impression! Interestingly, the Central German S-Bahn 442s are properly called class 1442 for whatever reason!

img_13938maso.jpg

I'll most likely be riding them regularly come December, but for now, a quick glimpse inside will need to suffice.

img_1392n4yyz.jpg

I only noticed what this was on a closer look: The tables installed in the seating bays have maps with superimposed network plans printed on them. Nice touch, if you ask me!

img_1394ddx66.jpg

And from the Central Station car park, which extends right into the train shed on the station's east side, I caught this line-up of motive power historic and contemporary.

• Like 6

I passed another incongruous site yesterday - in a bungalow on a council estate oops, social housing area near my daughter's a garage contained a silver RR of around 30-40 years age. My simple brain cannot compute the fuel consumption and costs of such a vehicle according with someone living in social housing, I have to assume that the tenant rents out his/her garage to improve the income stream.

If you think about it-tax=zero, depreciation probably better than zero (ie increasing in value), dirt cheap insurance and it's probably DIY friendly if the owner is a bit handy. Also LEZ exempt and, if before 1960 doesn't need an MOT any more, and can work as a wedding car  If the annual mileage is low then mpg doesn't really matter.

Never assume-it makes an ass out of u and me!

Ed

• Like 1