RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The wind is quite strong at the moment but the real stuff arrives in the next hour or two apparently with possible gusts to 90mph forecast - I'm going to work at home today, not risking driving for 30+ miles through high winds when any number of hazards will make it dangerous. We are also getting power dips.

Time to batten down the hatches for an hour or two.

Hope we all have a good day and get through with no damage and Ian gets his roof sorted.

I do wonder if the whole thing suffered from 'over compensation' in the H & S world we now live in.

That's what I think. As an example the BBC started by running through a list of cancelled train services - but they (the changes in service) were based on forecasts of "potential" bad weather and not actual bad weather. The Met Office issued an up to date list of counties to be worse affected and it started with Berkshire!

There's a site providing weather conditions as they happen at Worthing and last time I looked (about an hour ago) sustained winds were 15 mph with gusts to 30mph (which is technically a stiff breeze) the highest gust recorded there this morning was 57mph a few hours earlier.

That is not to say that more extreme conditions don't exist - they do but in very localized areas.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

Morning All,

I hope all the ERs have weathered the storm reasonably well.  It was a blustery night in this part of the world, but the worst of the winds were located further North.

I just wish there would be more accurate forecasting - not in the sense of getting it wrong (that can always happen) but scaremongering.  You'd think the end of the world was coming to read the BBC.  I know they are keen to avoid a repeat of Michael Fish' famous gaff - but honestly.  Every time there is a slight puff of wind they are predicting the "worst storm since 1987".

Anyway, we have blue sky and sunshine, and it is predicted to be the last day with temperatures of 20°C this year.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

The full force of the storm has affected S. Devon, bringing down several trees, including one in our garden! Luckily, it has fallen along our perimeter hedge and doesn't appear to have caused any damage but I've only viewed it from upstairs so far. post-10142-0-80238400-1382946961_thumb.jpg

Gruffaloshire has seen rain but insufficient to float my ark from its base on Mount ArrowRat, wind insufficient to clear the apples and leaves from my trees and nary a source of firewood for next winter. The UK panic mongers sorry, BBC and the like, certainly cried wolf as far as we are concerned.

Obviously I am sorry for anyone who is affected more than I but what about the media's responsibility to report factually rather than fuelling panic and fear? My wife's 95 year old aunt was expecting not to survive based on what they were told!

• Like 1

The full force of the storm has affected S. Devon, bringing down several trees, including one in our garden! Luckily, it has fallen along our perimeter hedge and doesn't appear to have caused any damage but I've only viewed it from upstairs so far. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

:O Dear Lord!!!!! :O

• RMweb Premium

raining here and a little breezy in Leeds

Luton van to go back this am so glad the storm isn't here - hope everyone down south are OK.

Network rail reporting fallen trees and landslips - especially "one of our test trains hit one of the fallen trees".

Stay safe good people..

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Car shunting around just completed - laddo came home for his car as there's a tree on the branch so no trains on said branch, two roads into/out of the town are blocked by fallen trees and the road to Reading is partially blocked plus much wailing of police sirens in the past 10 minutes or so which is leaving us with fingers crossed for Rob getting to work.  Part of next door's lilac landed in our garden but I have chucked it back (well slid it over the fence to be precise),  It was blowing pretty strongly about 06.00 but there are still apples firmly attached to the tree!  BBC have just said that there are now 140,000 homes without power in the south.

So a bit of a blow but nothing exceptionally bad and it sounds like time to get on with RMweb - I have closed the curtains due to the strong sunlight on the 'puter screen.

Have a good, and calm, day.

PS - simple answer to trees on the line, cut down the bl**dy trees - I've only been saying that since we started getting such troubles on the Western in 1985

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

.BBC R4 broadcasting seems normal. Though they've just forecast 80 - 90 mph gust in Wiltshire..

Blimey, it must be bad if Wiltshire is now a shipping forecast area.

Seriously though, take care whatever is happening where you are.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

Still quite breezy but blue skies are appearing from the sou'west!

Yes, the storm is moving away, leaving us with blue skies here! Time to tell O/H the joyous news of our fallen tree! I gather there are power cuts in places, including in France so Ian may be absent from ER's this morning.

Morning all,

Well it was a wet and windy one last night here. But no damage. The new fence with concrete posts (see about 300 pages ago) has paid off!

Haven't had time to post for a few days as we had a garden landscaping job on here - following the tree felling and stump grinding of a couple of months ago we decided to level the remaining earth mound and put sleepers in to retain the soil. At first we though this would mean filling a 10 yrd skip with soil but in fact it really just required a lot of earth to be moved forward a few feet. The worst bit was that although we had stump ground there were significant stumps and roots still in place. Put my old skills with a felling axe learnt at Bellechamps as a boy scout to good use.

Dug a hole for the new Serviceberry tree yesterday. This involved excavating both soil and a variety of metal components, old dog bowls, pottery. Where's Time Team when you need them! Made me wonder at what point anyone said "It'll be less effort to throw these things into the back of the garden, bury them 3 feet down than walking to the bin..."   

We also took down the patio wall and found a number plate, two coshes and a pair of gloves and some KY jelly. I obviously phoned the police but they weren't up for coming out and helping dig out the rest of the patio, so that job is on hold till the Spring when my muscles and joints have recovered. :)

Hope all those that have been storm battered are safe. 

Best, Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Posts from the ferry last night ended as I had to concentrate on the horizon to quell the motion sickness, despite being fitted with sea legs myself - most of those surrounding me had succumbed, including many of the crew.  Yeuch.

The last hour to the Island is always the worst, due to deeper water the swell period is bigger.  We were shipping water right over the the top of the vessel, and had to slow down considerably, the 3 1/2 hour voyage became 5 1/2.    I am proud to say Mrs NHN wasn't sick, she doesn't usually manage too well.

No great wind here this morning, 20 mph maybe, and sunny!  I did hear on the radio that 99mph winds had been recorded on the Isle of Wight.

Back to work which is in chaos - sickness, a suspension, half term leave....oh poo.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Typing this on laptop, using battery power - brave stuff for me! House power has been off since just after 8 - having only been on for less than 30 mins then. It was on at 0315, off at 6.30. My modem is being powered by an Eaton Ellipse thingie, Seems clever, and was part of Deb's stairlift. No great damage here, and I slept better than usual. Power outage is local, as the electric gates were working when I visited the horses 2 km away. House is warm, gas stove enables tea and coffee. Could be a lot worse

Hope you all fare better, at least..

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Grey and wet here and no wind, seems some 220,000 homes without electric which is not a good start to the week for anybody affected.

Neil I once had a similar trip to the IOM, needed a large scotch when I got land side, a sailor I am not so you have my sympathies.

Enjoy the day

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. The motorhome is still on its pitch although it was quite a rough night. I think the hills were sheltering us a bit. It could have been worse 99mph on the Isle of Wight doesn't sound fun. It is true the media probably overhyped it a bit but they always do. As storms go this was quite a strong one and it made sense to be prepared. If you are home with no power, trees down blocking the road 'damp squid' wouldn't be your assessment.

Don

ps Pete you did keep mentioning the storm. I know one tornado would probably do more damage but it hit the south east where they are not so used to it.

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Gold

So far the news from Essex is mainly concerned with trees down (the Leylandii survived) across the County. If Dave looks out from his window in Norfolk he may see Clacton Pier's helter skelter passing by soon.

• RMweb Premium

Morning, Grey and wet here and no wind, seems some 220,000 homes without electric which is not a good start to the week for anybody affected.

Neil I once had a similar trip to the IOM, needed a large scotch when I got land side, a sailor I am not so you have my sympathies.

Enjoy the day

A sailor I was, but it still took it's toll!  I have never seen so many grey/green people.  The ferry was really full, as the fast craft sailing from Liverpool was cancelled due to it's inability to cope with more than a slight breeze, so we had all those folk on board too.  Being crowded meant it was hard to get some space away from the unwell for folk - a lot 'came out in sympathy'!  We were in the 'posh' lounge where it;s abit better, and forward facing with a view of the horizon which helps also.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

rain stopped - after getting soaked taking the van back... blue skies and fluffy white clouds now in Leeds....

Hope everyone gets their power back soon and the trains can start running again.