The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, same old same old get a teenager moving on a school day, bet she moves quicker on Saturday when she goes to Leicester Uni for a look. It is about 2 or 3 outside by how cold the cat felt but clear. Looking at the car deicer will be needed.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all - still dark here but a bit quieter as the stupids students seem to have gone home from this part of Leeds (which means the roads are quieter as as the pubs, shops etc)

Lots to do today as we have a visitor for the weekend. Anyone out there know how to adjust one of these new fangled "push to close" bath sink stoppers?? Ours is not quite right....

Have a safe day whatever you are doing...

Barry O

Anyone out there know how to adjust one of these new fangled "push to close" bath sink stoppers?? Ours is not quite right....

Barry O

I've never been able to work one of those (if it's what I think you mean) - I thought it was just me.

I spent all my teaching career in the Black Country. Many pupils today write in a manner that can best be described as 'joined-up printing' insofar as the letters touch each other but they are all printed - more common amongst girls I found. I always used a cursive script when writing on the blackboard. "Yow do 'arf write posh Sir" I was once told, whereupon another pupil told me "Yeh, it ay 'arf neat, but we cor rade it". 

For what it's worth, Steve, my English teacher some forty years ago described my handwriting as "like a spider dipped in ink crawled across the page".  :rtfm:   I feel she was right and it hasn't improved. My young daughter's handwriting is infinitely neater, so perhaps standards (at least within this household!) are improving. Shock, horror. What would the Daily Mail say about that!!

Andy  

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry & frosty 2oC, will be another cloudy day with some sunny periods.

Quite strange this morning because although pavements & road are quite white & slippery there was only a small smear of ice on the car windscreen. Yesterday temp was zero & all the car windows were smothered in ice but roads etc were clear.

Waiting in again for parcels that didn't arrive yesterday. I can't complain because I took the cheap option so they could turn up any time in the next 2/3 days.

No domestic tasks today as I did quite a lot yesterday so a layout beckons.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

Steve - although I wrote in Cursive at school - as I have progressed through life it has gradually changed, except for my indecipherable signature, to printing - largely through having been drawing, and originally hand lettering, trackplans and diagrams - there is no way anybody would have been able to read those if I had used the cursive style. On emails I frequently use a handwriting font also

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

Morning all. Another damp and overcast day here. 

Another delivery van turned up this morning with the clematises I ordered.

The roses and clematises are now arranged ready for burial planting.

So,

Well, I had to include that link as the songs from last night's infants' production were buzzing in my head - at 01:30 this morning.

So, I thought I'd share the sensation of having a tune in your heads all day.  :sorry_mini:  :jester: 

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is one of those strange trains through my local station at 08:30 - a steam engine, 60009, but it's got a diesesal on the back so that's ok, it's heading to Peterborough and then up the ECML to York - here's the train if anyone wants to follow it's progress http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50630/2013/12/12/advanced

Not the brightest morning for her but ...

60009, Union of South Africa (and 47580, County of Essex on the back) on 1Z36, 08:05, Norwich - York

Eccles Road

12 December 2013

post-6662-0-98676200-1386842941_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

One of the joys of my job is wandering into primary schools at this time of year and hearing children singing.

I couldn't do your job......

Another cold morning, but we have cloud cover, so it won't warm up so much today. The horsey chores take much longer now I'm having to drag containers of hot water to their trough to melt the ice. And this bale of hay, from which I have to take 4 netsfull per day, is woven so tightly it's really hard to get the hay out, especially when your gloved hands are cold.

A couple of days ago a rather large digger, with tracks not wheels, was delivered to the windy little no-through-road behind my garden. Now every farmer around here has access to a backhoe sort of thing for his tractor, so this was clearly for a much bigger task, and several times a day we have had large containers of spoil taken away. The digger has just rumbled back up the road and been put back on the low-loader. I may never know what he was doing down near Maisons Neuves, where I think they've had a new cesspool installed recently, as it happens. That road was the scene of a murder enquiry soon after we moved here - it's where they found the corpse, about 50 yards from here. Nice.

I note the increasing lack of verbosity among ERs last night. Not sure I would be capable of subtracting much from that.

Enjoy your day.

Steve - although I wrote in Cursive at school - as I have progressed through life it has gradually changed, except for my indecipherable signature, to printing - largely through having been drawing, and originally hand lettering, trackplans and diagrams - there is no way anybody would have been able to read those if I had used the cursive style. On emails I frequently use a handwriting font also

Jack, I find that my hand-writing is infinitely better when I use a fountain pen. The reason being that there is greater friction between the nib and the paper, unlike a biro, where the tip skids across the paper with very little resistance. Hence, one has more control with the fountain pen because the user doesn't have to wrestle to control the instrument. It has long been said that a ball-point pen will destroy your hand-writing and I believe that this is the reason. When I started Grammar school we were under very strict instructions as to what pen we had to buy.

• Like 1

My handwriting was never good - but over the years it has degenerated further.  I do still do a fair bit of handwriting in Engineering logs, but I type more often than I write.  I find biros are terrible to write with, and so I stick to Stabilo Fineliners at work.

I am left handed, but I was taught to write with a normal fountain pen, and that's what I need to use if I want my writing to look half way reasonable!  

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Note for Barry - if you find out please let us me know, I've still not found the answer after 6 years of the things  (and not that they do need regular cleaning out as they tend to jam shut as they get full of 'muck' when the basin/bath etc is drained.

Not so much fist & mog round here today so things are looking up a bit although all sorts of 'domestic' hints are being dropped, persistently - it might take me a long time to get to the paper shop and back.

Have a good day everyone.

• RMweb Gold

Morning again.

At 9.10 this morning my GPs receptionist telephoned and asked me to make an appointment. None of this waiting for three weeks out here in Essex, it was would you like 9.20 or 9.50 or tomorrow? I went for the 9.50! Anyway it would appear from my GTT test yesterday that my response to glucose is normal but that my fasting glucose levels are a little high. I was informed about the statistical forecasts and the doctor and I agreed it would probably be sensible to lose some weight.

My handwriting is horrible. When I was at infant school in Somerset we did lots of writing exercises and I was using cursive (and very neat) script during the first year. We then went to Birmingham and on my first day at Hall Green Infants the teacher asked why I was writing like that and "showing off". I replied I always wrote like that and the teacher's response was to hit me so hard on the head I fell over. The school insisted that I had to use non cursive script "like everyone else" but my father explained the error of hitting his child. It wasn't long before I went to another school and although it was a nice place I didn't risk being thumped so printed! 

Matthew's dyspraxia is such that the effort of controlling a pen seems to stop any capacity for producing intelligent thought when writing. Using a keyboard causes no problems and he has benefited by being able to have small portable computers with all day battery life since he started at the sixth form college. At University colour vision problems have created far more difficulty than handwriting. All work has to be submitted electronically anyway for plagiarism checks.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Back in from 2 hours of gardening.

Cleared the neighbour's leaf pile and mulched it in to my own garden. Hopefully that may keep the cats off, too. 

At school the children have to be "promoted" to using pen once they've shown they won't make a hash of their exercise books; hence the oft spoken phrase from my daughter..."I'm desperate to be on pen!

The oven door handle failed to fix securely with silicone glue after the oven cleaning chap dropped it. Wouldn't want to be in his shoes when swmbo catches up with him! 

For now we're having to be very careful how we open the oven door just in case it comes off in our hand, leaving the food trapped and gently burning in the oven. Grrrr.

Andy 

• Like 1

I'm left-handed (for writing) and like Robert learned the hard way - my pen like everyone else had to use - had to be dipped into ink at regular intervals. The nib being sharp and me using my left hand meant it was forever piercing the paper.

My handwriting was ok, I was just twice as slow as everyone else in my class because of this. I keep a fat Mont Blanc fountain pen for official signatures.

Waste of money really but I like well engineered things...

Best, Pete.

Tony,

The interpretation of my GTT test is that I have a pre Diabetic condition.  The advise was to cut out sugar and reduce biscuits etc to a minimum (2 a day), but no formal diet plan.  Playing front row has left me with a solid frame (and theoretically borderline obese) so my target is to return to a 34" waist.  Just 1" to go!

The other advise is exercise.  You've got a dog, how about a bike?

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

The interpretation of my GTT test is that I have a pre Diabetic condition.  The advise was to cut out sugar and reduce biscuits etc to a minimum (2 a day), but no formal diet plan.  Playing front row has left me with a solid frame (and theoretically borderline obese) so my target is to return to a 34" waist.  Just 1" to go!

The other advise is exercise.  You've got a dog, how about a bike?

Bill

I have to find a sort of balance between exercise to lose weight and not provoking my colitis. Too much physical exercise for me can trigger flare-ups and I'm not allowed steroids for control anymore. I think this has made me over cautious about exercise. I do have a bike but riding it makes me want to rush to the lavatory and having to pre-load ones body with Imodium in order to partake of exercise seemed a bit too much of a bother. My diet is fairly healthy  but logically as I am overweight  I must be eating too much so I shall eat less. Apparently 25% of people in my age group with my fasting glucose levels go on to develop diabetes. My lipid levels were OK but they would have to come down if I later develop diabetes,

Tony

I missed Barry's question from earlier - If you mean the plugs where you push a lever on the tap to make the plug go down or pop up, then they are fairly easy to adjust, provided the tap is of reasonable quality.

As Mike already mentioned, they do tend to get crudded up, so you need to make sure the whole apparatus is clear of soap scum and hair.

Under the sink, behind the U-bend, there should be a connection between the rod that comes down from the tap lever, and the lever that goes into the U-bend.  The most critical part is getting this adjusted correctly so that the rod in the plughole moves up and down.  Adjust the connecting block by loosening the screw, and moving it into a position where the tap lever allows full movement of the u-bend rod.

Once that's complete, you can adjust the bolt on the plug so that the plug is closed when the lever is up, and open when the lever is down.

I hope I've made that reasonably clear!  It's difficult to explain in text form.