Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The driver was taken to hospital with chest injuries due to the impact of the steering wheel against him. According to the police, he wasn't local so didn't know the road which begs the question: Why exceed the 30mph speed limit?

When we first moved here two years ago, accidents occurred every couple of months within a mile of our home. I was only thinking lately that it had been a while ..........!

Edited by Ashcombe

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Last day at work for the year! Some confusion as to whether I actually am to accompany any of our classes today, so that will need to be checked first once at school.

Scheduled travel times on the S1 line at least are very generous, so currently stood ahead the northern tunnel mouth and waiting for the route. The public do seem to be eagerly using the new suburban lines, however!

• Like 1

Morning All,

Up early as I couldn't get back to sleep after Mrs iD left for work. I am currently procrastinating about taking the HM for his morning constitutional as we have, again, icy drizzle.

Sorry to hear about Ash's misfortune, but it rather begs the question, if it is well known that people regularly speed in this 30mph zone where are the plod with their radar cameras and speeding tickets? Surely, a concentrated effort to nab speeders would both contribute to the county coffers AND cut down the number of speeders? (but that presupposes that the desk-wallahs who set policy and assign personnel would use some common sense...).

Well, I know it's not really done on ER, but I'm pleased to announce that I have finally completed construction of the Mr Brunel's Hat pub. Having finished the roof and roof flashing, I have also completed the roadway, pub back yard and built the shell of the 3/4 relief terrace house that fills the empty corner of the MBH plot. So, apart from sloshing on some paint (and a LOT of making good), the only outstanding item is the hidden rear of the pub. It's currently open and thus unfinished, but I want to provide some token representation of brickwork (any thoughts?). Pictures to follow today (I hope).

Have a pleasant pre-Saturnalia day.

• Like 7

Fish on Fridays! Always, has been, is and ever will be! Amen. Old customs die very hard.

My brother has FIVE children, three in Australia and he has flown to Australia over the Christmas season for the last umpteen years.

The two local children have holiday homes many miles outside of Cape Town and will be there over Christmas

My sister-in-law has developed dimentia so a trip to Australia is impossible, or even to the nearer, though still distant, holiday homes is inadvisable.

I have spent Christmas day with Timothy's family for the last twenty three years (Timothy is 23 years old).

This year Timothy and family are spending a holiday with his Uncle (Father's brother) in the USA.

I advised the home that I would be here on Christmas day..

However last evening my brother phoned  to invite me to have Christmas day lunch with him. It will NOT be a Christmas dinner.

It will be interesting!

Another perfect Summer day. A comfortable 27C with only a mild wind.

Enjoy it!

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a young man has returned for Christmas the small cat was so excited she threw up in the night and Clyde stayed in and slept on me. I think the snakes etc were glad to see him but I couldn't tell.The guinea pigs sounded pleased too.Tonight I will pick up his sister weather permitting then we will have a full house again.

• Like 7

Morning all,

A sunny day here - well, it will be once the sun comes up properly.

Just thinking how much mayhem can happen in just a few hours.

Ashers, hope the driver is ok. It never ceases to amaze me how fast drivers go down roads they have no clue about. 

A couple of years ago when there was a load of snow and ice traffic on the main road was crawling along so cars started to explore the alternative country lanes. And why not. A trunk road is blocked so country lanes will be so much better! Found one driver calling in to his office trying to explain how he had failed to stop on a tight bend and was upended in a field.  :O

Mick, sounds like you've quite a menagerie there!

Don, enjoy your fish dinner and we'll be interested to hear more about the planned Christmas lunch! 

DD - is your friend offering a discount now the place has been trashed? 

Enjoy your day everyone. Andy

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry fresh start, 3oC, should be sunny this morning, clouding over this afternoon & raining tonight.

Off to daughter's house this morning to do some finishing touches to Joe's bedroom now that the carpet has at last been laid.

Another small parcel arrived from Liverpool but was "forcibly" taken from me to be wrapped & placed with another that's been here since September! Cruella Chris is adamant that as I am still a "big" kid I have to wait until Christmas Day like all the other kids! 

Have a good one,

Bob.

DD - is your friend offering a discount now the place has been trashed? 

She is spitting feathers!

Not a lady to be trifled with.

She resides in the UK and has a senior position in a Bank.

Can certainly take care of herself!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather cold and dry here.

Aditi's college closes for a couple of weeks from tonight. She has been been rather busy, and there hasn't really been any end of term jolliness;  press/TV reports,no-notice inspections by examiners, the Principal resigned yesterday ...

My fish pie seemed to be well received last night and we had a pleasant evening. Robbie was behaving like a silly puppy instead of a sensible mature dog. Fortunately both guests like dogs! 

I have a few local cards to post but not a lot else planned for today. Aditi insisted that I should have a present to open at Christmas and a small package from the Liverpool area  is due to arrive today. I have finally determined that Aditi would like something for the garden that reminds her of our trip to Canada.

Tony

• Like 2

She is spitting feathers!

Not a lady to be trifled with.

She resides in the UK and has a senior position in a Bank.

Can certainly take care of herself!

Cue Mel Smith and Gryf Rees-Jones and "livid gorilla" sketch.

I am sure these TV companies encourage misbehaviour as it makes "good television" for the masses - just look at some of the people sharing the communal IQ cell on reality tv shows. I hope your friend recovers her costs but she may struggle - TV companies have some very smart legal departments!

Further to my posts about the accident, just as I was trying to go back to sleep, another vehicle with flashing lights appeared: a Council pick up truck from which a guy proceeded to hand spread grit over a distance of about 50 metres so I can only assume ice (as well as speed) played a part in the crash. The driver was lucky - a few feet beyond where the car came to rest is a steep drop!

As far as I know the driver's injuries were not serious as he walked from the car and was involved, with other motorists, in trying to move his vehicle.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I missed yesterdays roll call as my son and I had to head out to the fens at short notice (for the white 66) and one of Jills mates lost her mother-in-law earlier this week and fancied a girls quiet drink and chat in the local - so I was a taxi last night.

A lovely sunny morning at the moment, not sure what today will bring, my son and I may just laze around and enjoy being together, and I'll probably beat him at table tennis on the Wii - again.

Have a good day all.

Just to say thanks.

I've noticed that I'm getting more (of my fair share) of "Friendly/Supportive" ratings, even for postings on here.

It really means a lot. Thank you, each one of you.

There's no such thing as a "fair share" John, just that the rest of us are more than glad:

a) that we can offer such ratings where appropriate

and perhaps even more importantly

b) we're so glad that you are recovering and we have not had to go through your tribulations.

• Like 1

As an add-on to the experience, Sandy and I have been asked to contribute to the teaching programme for Radiographers at my university as there were plenty there on placement while I was being zapped . We're determined to be positive. Sometimes it was difficult, but the consultants inspired confidence.

Now we have to write the stuff!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just to say thanks.

Huh - you've had a dreadful few months, so everyone is pleased to see you back in the swing, that's all. When Andy Y asked how RMweb "felt" to members quite some time ago, I said it was a warm place, a view that was mightily endorsed in the wake of my bad news last year. I always think of ERs as quite a bit closer to the glowing hearth than some of the more serious threads. We care.

Gordon's Apollo link sounds terrifying. "Taking in a show" is what people do this time of year. Hope all make a full recovery.

I think I have been on a bus along the road where Sherry lives - and it's all bends! Flavio's point about radars does require a safe place for police to stand, and somewhere for the guilty to be pulled over and processed on site, again safely. My recollection is that there are few such places along there, the road being relatively close to the cliff in places, really.

Sheena coming here for coffee this morning. It's my turn to visit her this week - but I'm hoping a delivery or two may arrive and don't want to risk more stuff being taken back to some remote depot, so a friend suggested I should simply invite Sheena here instead - simple! (Note use of singular simple.)

Hope your week finishes well, and if this is "it" for working in 2013 - like Aditi's Principal! - that the break goes well for you.

• Like 4

Shopping finished

Wrapping done

Cards all sent

It's time for fun!                 :boast:

Postie's here

Another pile!

Sorting these

Will take a while                :scratchhead:

What's this I find?

From an old friend

Oh no, a card I

Didn't send!                      :scared:

Ah, it's OK

Let's not dismay

Today is the

Last Posting Day!           :declare:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My commiserations to you Ash. I know the road well it is no racetrack with plenty of dangers. The worst thing in cases like this is there is little you can do to protect your property and there seems to be an inexhaustable supply of idiots.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning ER world, may your tribulations fade to nothingess.

After a very dull and dreary start a hint of sun is apparent.  No - it's gone.

The inability of young motorists to negotiate corners accounts for over 50% of the roads policing cases we deal with here, so it's no surprise to me adults can't go around them either!  We are currently trying to influence driver teaching practices as many of these accidents occur within one month of passing their test. #sigh#  We have started an educational scheme of additional specific lessons (that they have to pay for) rather than prosecution, as that results in an improvement in driving rather than a lightening of the wallet only.  We also show them a gory video of what can happen in loss of control incidents, which is of an accident that resulted in a local death that most of them have heard of - really brings it home.

• Like 4