Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Trev, I dunno where you are in FLA but look up "Colonial Photo and Hobby" - Camera and Railroad store. Has good prices.

Life was very easy when I only had to help Matthew with his weekly spelling test when he was at infant school. Now he asks me if I am familiar with big words with strange meanings. I usually suggest that he asks his mother.

Gawd, I know what you mean; my daughter is on Quadratic Equations - and worse. I just reply with another question: What mode did John Lennon use on "Norwegian Wood"? As an example, trouble is she can actually "sight read' music and I can't.

Off to relatively early bed for a change - my wife is making Italian Christmas cookies........the whole house smells really delicious...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

I complained a lot when Winter rains dragged on an on well into months that should have had Spring weather.

No complaints now with day after day of really pleasant clear blue sky windless mild temperature long Sunny days. 

Max 26C today.

I hope  your is happy and successful.

• Like 4

Good to see Debs back and in charge of our dictionary.

Removes the worry about running out of precision track gauges, too.

I have asked Santa for a revised "Book of Big Words".....the one subtitled "It Is bIg and it is clever" :mosking:

Yes, Specialty Gauge Products is back in business! :superman:

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Damp and blustery weather here today.

My "office" area of the landing looks very tidy now after yesterday's clearing. I shall try and keep it tidy this year.

Lots of small household tasks today (general tidying, getting room ready for guests) and then to the cinema this afternoon.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

My "office" area of the landing looks very tidy now after yesterday's clearing. I shall try and keep it tidy this year.

That's not much of a challenge.

There's only nine days to go.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Wet windy 8oC and more of the same due today with possibly the occasional sunny period.

Whisper mode on : On railway related matters the "new" second hand loco is now running beautifully thanks to the addition of a halfway decent decoder!

Whisper mode off: This afternoon "we" (including offspring & their offspring) are visiting friends ( Including their offspring etc) for a bit of a "do". If past experience is anything to go by a very good (but extremely noisy & chaotic) time will be had by all with far too much to eat & drink.   :danced:  :danced:  :music: I can't wait! :yes:

Cheers, :drinks:

Bob. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One always values such onomasticative syntactic fecundity. :yes:

:scratchhead:  er  ...  :scratchhead:  ummm...   :scratchhead:  I give up...must add the Ladybird ABC book to my Christmas list.   :read:    :O

HOHOHO :jester: :jester: :jester:

Have a good day, all

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to see Debs is back and turning her hand to useful things.  We currently have some quite pleasant weather with sunshine (honest) and a few clouds so not bad for our jaunt to Pangbourne on the meat and pie collecting mission and maybe I'll even get to the shops later as tomorrow is promised to be continuous heavy rain.

Have a good day folks.

Today is a momentus day in the household of the Coombe Bartons.

Today we may actually see the dining table for the first time since March.

But then again ...

You're catching up - ours has been visible since Friday ;)

• Like 1

Mrs Coombe Barton would like to add the following caveat to the previous posting

Today is the day we WILL see the dining table.

However she doesn't say where all the stuff on the dining table will be residing.

And I'm getting my ear chewed ...

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

A rather wild wet windy night but seems to have calmed a little this morning. A few more pictures today

first an exmoor pony hardy little beasts

post-8525-0-41572100-1387708747_thumb.jpg

next a flock on starlings continously landing and taking off a minute later on exmoor

post-8525-0-21924700-1387708867_thumb.jpg

lastly a warning on what happens if you neglect to trim your hedge

post-8525-0-13811800-1387708854_thumb.jpg

Have a good day all

Don

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

One always values such onomasticative syntactic fecundity. :yes:

Don't you just love it when Debs starts talking dirty?

Wet overnight, but a reasonably sunny start this morning.

I was so inspired that I just had to rush into the bathroom and clean it. (That is not a euphemism I really have!)

Christmas starts today with drinks at our new neighbours this afternoon.

Although it would really be a Christmas to remember if Bachmann's 64xx(s) - SSSSHH! The Obergrumpenfuhrer is only aware of the singular pre order - were to arrive with Santa.

I must return to patrolling the landing as my son needs to be told about the altered state of aforementioned bathroom, before he attempts to return it to it's former state!

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all (well, it still is in the UK, at least!)

Blustery day with lots of cloud and showers, but decently mild.

My mother would have been 103 today, but failed to even make 63. She was on her last legs when I met Deb just over 40 years ago, and I'm sure Freud would have a view on that.

Good to see our Debs back in action. I can manage a few multi-syllabic words, but she makes me feel like a bumpkin. I may be asking her about track gauges - just need to decide which rail profile I intend to use. I will be spiking an awful lot of sleepers, I think, as I have a package of wood, for extending my trestle (ooh!), en route from the US.

This is probably one of the busiest Sundays of the year for many people - hope yours goes smoothly.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, tidying up for Christmas is begining excess decorations and tree back in the loft first! Then 'tetris' time with gear brought home then tidy, sweep, hoover etc my residual mess. After that snake food to be bought locusts purchased and back home avoiding the Tesco gridlock hopefully.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, think I will just miss the 12.00 cut off! Gales,hail heavy rain last night but all calm now.

Have put the dictionary back by the computer so I can understand some of the conversations going on more so now Debs is back.

Ian I am so pleased I have a fellow bumpkin :yes: with regards to the above lol!

About to depart for Sunday lunch booked at a local establishment much to swmbos  delight.

Enjoy whats left of the day folks

Morning all (just!),

Total gridlock at our local Sainsurys today too - so much so I gave up and came straight back home! It's nowt that can't wait till next week though.

Woke up this morning with a head full of Mk2 Jags, stricken mail trains and airport blags... time to dig out the classic car magazines again I think or perhaps do a spot of modelling...?

Cheery wotsits all ;)

• Like 3

Right - Mrs CB has divided up the tasks. She's doing the kitchen. I'm doing the lounge. OH YES I AM!

A portion of the dining table has appeared in view - measured in square inches rather than in square feet, mind.

However in the kitchen we're on the usual inspection of use-by dates. Amazing how much space is being created. The dishwasher, however, will complain later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from walking the dog:  went out in sunshine, up onto the Wealdmoor and the skies opened.

Hail and rain mixed with a bit of a blow. So now home and drying (and thawing) out.

As a reminder of summer I have just received this link from a friend.

Enjoy

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

Gruffland seems similar to that inhabited by many contributors. We had rain by the tanker-load violently cast against the bedroom windows through the night but a lovely bright morning interrupted by occasional showers. My morning perambulation round the parish was cool but not too windy. I have discovered some normal cleansing items that will be consumed before the end of this coming week so will have to replenish those before the great retail shut down but I will walk to the nearest shop rather than try and park whilst summoning a family member to collect me for the return home. I need lessons from the erudite Debs to manage anything more verbose.

Nidge, you have been afflicted by PSS (pre-sweeny syndrome) brought on by exposure to TGBBCTR (The Great BBC Train Robbery). The only cure is at least two episodes of Thaw / Waterman spinning Granadas Guv - accompanied by the Harry South Big Band.

Our Dining Table is barely covered - SWMBO shouts at me too loudly if I get near it! I am sure she does that so it will literally groan under the weight of food in 72 hours time. Today's meal will be something I shall knock up from smoked bacon, chicken and rabbit - probably without a pastry crust but who knows, I certainly don't until Madam Gruff leaves the kitchen and I pull on my apron. 

Sympathies to all who are without someone for the first time this Christmas and to those where the anniversary of a loss falls during this period that for many is festive rather than reflective. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I was looking on the RAC traffic site when it asked if it could use my location.

I selected the 'allow this once' option and it tells me I live on Prince Albert's Walk in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

So, as Messrs Gilbert and Sullivan would put it .....

Bow, bow, ye lower middle classes.......

Edit - I had elevated Albert from Prince to Saint

Edited by BoD