RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Good so far anyway, dry & dull, 9oC but expecting it to become very wet & windy again.

Great afternoon was had by all at our friend's abode yesterday and I very nearly (but not quite) had too much to eat & drink.

In Sainsbury's at 7.30 AM for the final bit of shopping and everyone (shoppers & staff) seemed happy. My query as to why we need to stock up for about a month when the shop is only shut for one day fell on deaf ears. (Mind you I did buy some more beer just to be on the safe side!)

My gripe about parking is the people who seem to struggle to place their vehicle neatly between the white lines & insist on straddling them, also the bone idle t#ssers who can't be bothered to take their trolley back  and leave them where they loaded their car!

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

70f in New York today and very humid - Christmas Day is expected to reach a high of just 30f or -1C.

Anyone remember the cricket game of "Owzat"? It consisted of two 8 sided dies... I'm trying to find out if someone still makes it???????????

Cheers, Pete.

Pete

they are still to be found on Amazo^ - but look for Howzat or Owzat Cricket Dice game... Mine is a very cherished ancient set from my childhood and probably would score more than the current England batters could....

• RMweb Premium

getting ready for the deluge here in Leeds.... a part of one of our double glazing was "blown" out yesterday so I have to fix it(!)...

Seems like the ER community are well into silly season - GOOD!!!

Enjoy yourselves today and gird up the loins for Christmas Eve..  

Sprouts on for Christmas Lunch ( I now they should have been on earlier but I was playing with a big trainset yesterday so forgot..)

Stay daft and enjoy today...

Barry O

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The bad weather has already got here strong wind driving rain - oh I am looking forward to walking the dogs today.

Pictures for today some big trees at Severnake

post-8525-0-97592000-1387792640_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-73798300-1387792661_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-95802100-1387792617_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-95802100-1387792617_thumb.jpg wonder if anyone has modelled trees like this?

Don

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, having frequented the forum for a quite a while- but nice to pop back!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day, I'm starting reading for my dissertation...

Chris

You're better off with text books Chris, you won't learn much on here......

• Like 1

Wokingham almost grid locked as Waitrose is in a narrow through road and Christmas shoppers can't find parking spaces so the queues spill out into the one way system.  Had to go to the Post Office to pick up two packages.  A little surprised there were around 20 waiting already, so handed in my ticket and passport and waited.  Hats off to the Post Office, they fair rattled through the packages as I was out in under 10 minutes and back into the chaotic one way system.  

Passed Tesco's at the bottom of the road who have a huge store/car park and no sign of parking issues…. 

Happy Christmas one and all in case I don't make it... :D

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Had a quick report to write first thing, crime waits for no man.  It's usually awfully quiet at this time of year, we get all the jobs in after new year as a rule when the bobbies have time to write their paperwork up, but for some reason we have had a few crimes that have needed immediate attention this year. Read - more serious.

To business. 

Good morning ER's.  A horrid morning here on Fraggle Rock, pouring with rain, high winds and forecast to get to storm force 9 soon, and perhaps worse tomorrow.  It has failed to get light too, I thought the days were drawing out now????? :scratchhead:  :jester:  ha ha.  It really is awful here today.  The ferry has gone this morning but after it's return this evening that will probably be it, looks too rough to sail tomorrow.  Missed two days last week too, all the 'just in time' stockists are finding out it doesn't work here in winter despite what the accountants say.  Having no stock on the busiest weekend of the year isn't a good plan.

having editing issues this morning.... :O

Edited by New Haven Neil

Morning All,

The weather is rather gloomy at the moment.  Much too warm for Christmas (9°C) and no sunshine, just wall to wall grey.  I also managed to crack the back bumper on the car backing into the garage and kissing a pile of junk stuff that might come in useful - so after Christmas, I am going to have to pop down to one of these "smart repair" places and see if the crack can be repaired.  It probably wouldn't have cracked in warmer weather - but such is life.

On a more positive note, we went to the Christmas market in Rüdesheim on Saturday - very nice it was too.  Glühwein (well - "Kinderpunsch" as I was driving) and Trains - what more can one want?!?

Yesterday, I got into the Cellar between Church in the morning, and Nine Lessons and Carols in the afternoon and made some more progress on my DCC controller.  All in all, a pretty good weekend!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3

The bad weather has already got here strong wind driving rain - oh I am looking forward to walking the dogs today.

Pictures for today some big trees at Severnake

attachicon.gifbigtrees.jpg

attachicon.gifwhiteroadoak.jpg

attachicon.gifbigfoot.jpg

attachicon.gifbigfoot.jpg wonder if anyone has modelled trees like this?

Don

Lovely pics there Don, especially the bottom two.... reminds me, I must clip me toenails...!

Grey and grimsall here this morning but in a strange way I like the sound of rain on the windows. Hope all's well folks, try not to get blown off yer feet if you do happen to venture out...!

Morning all, having frequented the forum for a quite a while- but nice to pop back!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day, I'm starting reading for my dissertation...

Chris

You're better off with text books Chris, you won't learn much on here......

When I was doing my Degree I found it useful when people had pencil marked certain passages of library books, saved me the trouble of finding quotes!

Ed

Enjoy yourselves today and gird up the loins for Christmas Eve.

:yes: Loins are always more tender when girded!..............I`ll also thoroughly baste my breast`s skin and keep them tender under a bacon overcoat. :mosking:

:O But to be honest, the less said about the condition of my neck and giblets, the better. :laugh:

Just back from the Sainsbury’s final preordered meat shop. Weather getting more dismal as the day wears on.

Parking – simple – follow the guy with the loaded trolley going back to his car.

In Sainsbury’s itself, got told to “STAY THERE”. So I did. Then she forgot where she told me to stay.

Then there were the giggles – she’d heard several women shopping with their other halves telling them to “STAY THERE – DON’T MOVE”. Wonder how many of them forgot to note where the “stay” position was.

Out in record time, home, stuff put away. Sitting down with choc/coffee.

Then we’ll have to get the courage and energy up to start finding the dining table again.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

:yes: Loins are always more tender when girded!..............I`ll also thoroughly baste my breast`s skin and keep them tender under a bacon overcoat. :mosking:

:O But to be honest, the less said about the condition of my neck and giblets, the better. :laugh:

Oh Ohhh , she's back  .     :O

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

We've been to Tesco and survived.  Only out of the house for about an hour which wasn't bad considering the state of the main road (solid traffic queue about half a mile long heading into town, easily avoided on our return trip), not too bad a queue int the car park and remarkably actually found a space.  However inside the shop it was clearly amateurs day and it even put the usual wrinklies day in the shade for the legion of the lost and the 'no one will mind if I leave my trolley/have a chat in the middle of an aisle or the 'I'll get the children out of my hair by letting them wander round on their own' brigade.  I'm convinced we suffer some sort of incomer invasion on days like this as there are lots of unfamiliar cars and faces and large numbers of the shoppers don't seem to have a clue where anything is - and that's before we get to the ones who are utterly incapable of organising their shopping on the checkout belt in a manner which makes it simpler to put into bags, although fortunately we didn't suffer that in our queue and everybody seemed organised.

This afternoon Mrs Stationmaster requires a lift to the hairdresser's emporium due to the grotty weather - I think I need to allow a minimum of 30 minutes to do the three quarters of a mile.  Off to lunch now and will be back in a while to further examine the etymology of the term gricer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

her indoors has brought the meat fro Christmas in from the Butchers - then she mentioned a trip to Morreasons tomorrow... ( then might need a pint or seven to get over this...)

and Debs yes I wrap my turkey crown in a bacon overcoat - it will be ready to eat with the Bucks Fizz on Christmas Day elevenses. ...

The Leeds Loiners are now girded!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A good many years ago my then boss, who had been a verrrrrry keen railway enthusiast for many a long year, told me what he reckoned was the origin of the term 'gricer'.  Apparently in the early/mid 1950s a small group of Birmingham based enthusiasts started travelling around on Sunday shed bashes in a borrowed van which carried the owner's name painted on in various places.  The van belonged to a grocer by the name of Grice and thus was lettered 'Grice the grocer'.  Other enthusiasts saw the van around and gave the name 'gricers' to the little group that regularly used it and by the early 1960s the term was in common use among a section of the adult railway enthusiast community especially those in the SLS.

BTW referring to Christmas Dinner we are very definitely a non-turkey eating family being far from keen on eating what usually seems like dehydrated cardboard.  So we have a piece of pork loin and a capon (or rather what is nowadays called a capon).  As our new feline residents have to be kept on a low protein diet this year Mrs Stationmaster ordered an 8lb bird instead of our usual past 10lb bird - the reason being that these two won't get any of it, unlike Henry who usually had a better than fair share

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why is it that whenever my daughter comes home, she wakes up the next morning feeling ill?  This time it is a sore throat that  got her off the clothes washing (her clothes) roster.

Whilst she and her brother were still tucked up in their respective scratching pits, the Obergrumpenfuhrer went out to do the 'last minute shopping'.  It wasn't that we are disorganized, it's just that we have been avoiding going to the shops because of the hordes of Telfs bumbling around in 'tubmin' mode.

Now normally when the OGF goes out, I sneak onto RMWeb, but today I thought better of it and confined myself to domestic duties including some bread making.

The weather here is strong winds with rain and what feels like elements of hail, so I'm not going up the ladder to investigate next doors leaking gutter. (I was asked if I could take a look at it when we saw them yesterday afternoon).

I will of course brave this storm if Elsa wants to walk, but being a Staffie, her normal approach to rain is to avoid it like the plague and will actually try to dodge the drops.  as you can imagine she was not a happy bunny yesterday in the hail.  I expect she will spring out of the door and then beat the retreat in double quick time, and retire to her spot in front of the fire in the sitting room. (Well I hope she does). 

Back on domestic chores now!!

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh cripes, what a fright - we are looking after our best friends' house and various pets while they have a little jaunt, a month or so in New Zealand - a house that has flooded badly previously from the nearby Sulby river.  Just heard on the radio that there is flooding in the area - pulled strings to investigate, it is just up the road and not their bit......phew. 

Benefits of working with the boys n gurls in blue.