RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All

...but his best method of getting attention is to sit on the dining room table in the sure knowledge that he will be picked up and given a good telling-off.  ...

The Hairy Monster's preferred way of getting my attention is to place a very cold nose on an exposed portion of my anatomy (ankle, forearm and on one memorable occasion, lower back), It works as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After an extensive and exhaustive round of playing and chasing each other round the living room in the morning, Frida and Kiki are currently having a siesta under the bed. While playing, Frida also discovered their scratching pole, as well as the rest platforms which are part of it:

img_187957j8y.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Essex: The Sunshine Coast.  Burnham on Crouch is nicer than a lot of Cornish villages.......ducks and runs for cover....

Best, Pete.

I used to live in Burnham-on-Crouch, great place but 'out on a limb', my first winter down there the town was cut off by snow for a week.

Morning all

Did anyone hear that gent talking about his beach hut yesterday. Brilliant, it went something like this.

' I've just fixed the door with a new lock and had greased it to protect it from the weather. I think it will still work but I will have to find the door and the wall it was attached to first. '

Enjoy the lull.

Someone I know is looking for their entire beach hut.

• RMweb Premium

Essex: The Sunshine Coast.  Burnham on Crouch is nicer than a lot of Cornish villages.......ducks and runs for cover....

Best, Pete.

I went out with a lass from Tillingham briefly.  Neither of us thought much of Burnham-on-Mud  ;)

I went out with a lass from Tillingham briefly. Neither of us thought much of Burnham-on-Mud ;)

When I was a wee lad, growing up on the Romford/Gidea Park border, anything further East than Gidea Park was considered akin to being beyond civilization. And a trip to Brentwood (bus or train) was likened to an expedition to Heart of Darkness territory.

Mind you, by my standards of those days, Taunton was exotic and esoteric. I wonder what the 10 year old me would make of my globetrotting?

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

I quite like Burnham. 

Heybridge is rather pleasant (as long as you avoid the days when the blackfly are active!) The Dengie peninsular is rather interesting, a bit of land between two estuaries with a marsh on the end. 

..... a large orchestra lives in my Imac and they don't require beer breaks - if you've ever been in the bar at Abbey Road when the LPO have a ten minute break you'll understand the meaning of trampled underfoot....

Best, Pete.

I've strayed into the car park a few times to grab a sly photo or two Pete, does that count...? ;)

ERs seems to move on at a cracking pace - it's difficult to keep up with who's affected by this, that and a bit of the other, especially when I'm on awkward shifts... I hope everyone is safe and well at least and staying as dry as humanly possible. Obviously we're not immune to it on the railway, I got caught up in the landslide at Harbury Tunnel on Friday afternoon when single line working was put in place to get things moving again, but other parts of these fair isles are suffering far worse so my heart goes out to all those afflicted. On the way down to Oxford in the staff car that day there was standing water all over the place so I took a detour to have a shuftie at the Mini's progress once more, seeing as it's not far off my usual route - by next week it should be MOT'd and ready to pick up but this is what it looked like on Friday morning, about 99% complete I'd say...

post-7638-0-47819000-1392562284.jpg

post-7638-0-11127500-1392562316.jpg

The dear old thing has been waxoyled to within an inch of it's life so should repell the dreaded tin worm for another few decades with a bit of luck... wish I could say the same for my tired old carcass...! Hoping for a dry day to collect it... and going back to Pete's mention of Abbey Road I'm planning on taking the Mini down there sometime to grab some pics, seeing as it looks a bit like the proverbial pop star's Mini of choice c1968-70...

Keep warm and dry all ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well I was right - even after an overnight soak in the caustic solution, the oven and racks still needed scrubbing - I think we need to institute a regime of cleaning the cooker more often.

Now that the oven and cooker are put back together, dinner's ready, so,

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

The dear old thing has been waxoyled to within an inch of it's life so should repell the dreaded tin worm for another few decades with a bit of luck...

Keep warm and dry all ;)

The first mini I had had belonged to a BL development engineer, and he had filled all the box sections with cavity wall foam insulation- it was one of the early ones with no letters after its number, and there was no tin worm on it

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was a wee lad, growing up on the Romford/Gidea Park border, anything further East than Gidea Park was considered akin to being beyond civilization. And a trip to Brentwood (bus or train) was likened to an expedition to Heart of Darkness territory.

Mind you, by my standards of those days, Taunton was exotic and esoteric. I wonder what the 10 year old me would make of my globetrotting?

iD

I find it fascinating how our views of the world etc have changed over the years -back in my earlier years on the railway a trip to Bristol for a meeting was some sort of major outing while being sent to work in Cardiff on loan was a real adventure (and those steak sandwiches on the Blur Pullman coming home on Friday afternoons really were exotic).  But then a good many years later I was talking to a former boss on the 'phone one day and had to make my apologies as I had to catch a train to get off for a meeting the next day - in Paris - and I have to say that spending a week at conferences in such places as Berne or Grindelwald seemed even more exotic (SBB used to pick some very good conference venues ;) ).  

And in my insultancy consultancy days after leaving the big railway I definitely found that Sydney (NSW) was an even bigger adventure than Cardiff while nowadays a trip to Bristol is pretty much old hat: yes, our views change a bit as our horizons broaden. 

Morning from the mid-west - "sunny again" what a surprise, -12 but supposed to be heading for +2 tomorrow and +4 Tuesday and Wednesday, the beginning of the thaw, but only briefly apparently. Still, it IS mid-February so it can't go on too much longer.

According to the morning paper, the ice is so extensive now across the Great Lakes they could be using the ice-breakers to clear the shipping lanes well into May!!! There's food for thought for you folks that find a "bit of frost" a challenge. :sungum:

Great dinner party last night with old friends - "old" being the operative term, we've know the four who were over for more than 30 years now, which, given I've barely been in this party of the US a little longer than that, it's nice to know we are still connected, albeit not quite as spry as when we first met.

Modelling FOR SURE today, after a quick fix of the toilet, seems to be leaking a little from the installation, a couple of the nuts (no NOT ME!!) need snugging up...

• RMweb Gold

The first mini I had had belonged to a BL development engineer, and he had filled all the box sections with cavity wall foam insulation- it was one of the early ones with no letters after its number, and there was no tin worm on it

The metal was much thicker in those days. We bought a "bitser" mini from a neighbour, who had done it up. The registration was 808MKJ, but at 20 years old the metal was thick and healthy everywhere.

• Like 2

And in my insultancy consultancy days after leaving the big railway I definitely found that Sydney (NSW) was an even bigger adventure than Cardiff while nowadays a trip to Bristol is pretty much old hat: yes, our views change a bit as our horizons broaden.

I agree. Every so often, I have what I call a "How did I get here from there?" moment, when the contrast between the situation I'm in at that moment and the environment I grew up in (not a bad environment, just so different) suddenly strikes me.

• RMweb Premium

Still resting, after lots of feline activity:

img_0166y0kyt.jpg

...and paying attention to what else the rest of the day might bring:

img_0164_1024kpk3u.jpg

Most recently, the two girls were given dinner and are now resting behind the sofa. They already made their claims to armchair usage rights public, too!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Opinion on Burnham or opinion on female companions?   ;)

On the latter count had I not met a backpacking Australian of Cornish descent while driving tour buses back in the Old Country there might be no Penhayle Bay today.  It took me 35 years from first thinking about the plan to being able to build it.

Morning all.  Moanday has almost dawned.  Small brown birds are venting gas.

Edited by Gwiwer

Opinion on Burnham or opinion on female companions?   ;)

On the latter count had I not met a backpacking Australian of Cornish descent while driving tour buses bcd in the Old Country there might be no Penhayle Bay today.  It took me 35 years from first thinking about the plan to being able to build it.

Lord, I know that feeling, Rick. In my case it was an American of Italian descent   -   and descend I did...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Well, it is somewhere!

Another busy day at Grumble Glen, finishing off trackwork, working on the Baguley diesel and driving the works train with one of the Hudson-Hunslets.  Knackered now!  More fun that real work though, and no young offenders!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening, just a bit of aaaaaaaaaah time after a busy weekend - Tonbridge show yesterday with Eldavo and Waton renewing the 'who can make the most cock ups' challenge, about even I reckon.

Then up early today steering the U up and down the Mid Hants, not without its problems the thing is getting a bit tired now. Of course it's not only steering it up and down, we have to prep and dispose the things as well, 13 hour day arrive/go home. Having fun is hard work.

Anyway cue arty phone disposal pic.

post-6683-0-02027500-1392589018_thumb.jpg

• Like 13