The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

May manage to get to the Open Day at the club but her indoors thinks glossing should come first.....

They do seem to have a warped sense of priorities don't they?

• RMweb Gold

We don't do gloss here. Any woodwork is stained (Ronseal 1 hour dry walnut stain). Although the walls are magnolia we do get quite daring with ceilings and use almond white (matt).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all - a dreary day here, sometimes rain, sometimes sun, sometimes both, sometimes neither.

To quote Monty Python "I think I'll go for a walk" (you're not fooling anyone)

Have a good day all,

• RMweb Premium

A rather unpleasant start to the day when a passing friend came to tell me tnhat someone had broken the nearside wing mirror on my car.  Potentially this left me with a bill of up to £500 at Volvo prices.  I took the thing off but it was damaged beyond repair.  I then called the police and got a crime number.

Then a great thing happenned, a young man came to the door who obviously knew me, to say that he had seem someone kick the mirror the night before and had tried to catch the young man concerned.  I then realised that the gent at the door was someone who had been at school with one of my sons and had had sleep overs here many times. 

The young man then gave me all his contact details and the name of another witness and both of them are happy to have these details passed on.   He also gave me a number for a car breakers and I've been able to source a unit for £35. 

The most amazing thing is that when I was village bobby in the 1980's I arrested the fathers of both the potential witnesses, for various things.  However I always tried to deal with them fairly and I suppose that what goes around comes around.  It's this sort of long term payback that restores ones faith in human nature.   I have now got to wait to see whether my old employers actually pull their fingers out and actually do anything. 

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

We are returned - and the rain here stopped just before we arrived although we were quite cheery to leave Plymouth as it was raining there when we departed.  Notwithstandng the less endearing points about the hotel (The Duke of Cornwall in Plymouth - the room bore very little resemblance to the website pics but the breakfast was quite good), the seeming adoption of plymouth by Polish beggars, and the presence of taxi drivers who probably honed their vehicle handling skills on a bullock cart and are totally unfamiliar with the topography of the UK towns in which they purport to drive taxis, we had quite a good time.

The Mayor Choosing session in Saltash was not only very interesting but steeped in history (and the occasional error of proceedings), a couple of handy local museums were opened specially for us guests while the room in the Guild Hall was transformed from formal setting to buffet and so on - the only sour note being the semi-moronic taxi driver who took us back to plymouth and proceeded to show he hadn't got a clue where he was going but didn't stop the meter, so we bailed out and walked.  But at least we know who to complain to about taxl drivers in Saltash ;)

We had a nice wander round Plymouth yesterday plus the obligatory (for us) boat trip to see the ships in Devonport dockyard etc - active commissioned craft of the German Navy which were present equal in number to the active commissioned craft of the RN which were there.  What on earth now defends our seas I really don't know 'cos it sure as heck can't be our neutered and decimated Navy?  But we also got to see, anchored out in the Sound the other TH buoy tender - the 'Galatea, a right ugly looking thing alas (but very efficient I've been told).  And yesterday evening we found a nice brasserie/restaurant down on the Barbican - although there was error with one of our orders (no problem we were compensated with additional drinks) and a real bargain bottle of wine - well worth a visit as the food is superb and very reasonably priced

http://scottsbrasserie.co.uk/

And the trains in both directions were good - a superb FGW breakfast on the way down, although a bit of late running (down to NR) on the way back up today but 'some very spirited running' in an effort to regain lost time, well done FGW.

• Like 10

What kind of pump do you need to install/re-install every year Ian?

Ed

** Warning, warning/Note this is going to be a little long and quite likely boring **

The "summer cabin" is somewhat a fixture/tradition in Minnesota, a throwover from all the Swedish immigrants who settled here, and like their homeland decided a place on a lake for the summers was a must...

My in-laws (FiL) was of swedish descent, and 60 odd years ago obtained a piece of land on a lake and built the requisite cabin for family summer weekend. Now, many of these have become mini-mansions and would be the envy of folks for a REGULAR home, many remain more rustic/basic. Ours (inherited by Mrs and her sister jointly) is the latter.

What this means is, that whilst it is the equivalent of say, a seaside bungalow, in that it has basics like a couple of bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen area and living/dining space, it was never "finished", meaning the inside walls are uninsulated and still have the bare 2x4 framing visible. It functions exactly as originally intended as a reasonable shelter and place to sleep/eat. It has electricity and water and a septic system and is quite comfortable/cosy in a VERY basic sense.

These (non mini-Mansion) places are used generally from "Memorial Day", a public holiday at the end of May to "Labour Day" a public holiday at beginning of Sept. The rest of the time they are less inviting as they have marginal heating using a couple of space heaters (no need for more in summer) and zero insulation! 

There are therefore two distinct traditions that go along with said dwellings - the "cabin opening" and the "cabin closing"!

**Plumbing is the "issue". There is no city water service even though we're only a mile out of town, so the water supply is from a shallow well (less than 50ft. to rise). This is accessed using a shallow well pump

Exhibit a - example shallow well pump

post-20244-0-30232800-1399732547.jpg

These pumps are usually placed in a simple housing akin to a dog-house, ouside the cabin adjacent to the well itself. From there they feed the plumbing of the property by whatever means you care to install/cobble together. Ours is semi-exposed 3/4 pipe running across the tops of joists and down into the wall cavities - and the hot water heater.

Since we have somewhat "extreme" winters in terms of temperatures etc., the water systems are not capable of surviving if left to their own devices therefore, the pump has to be removed and drained then hauled home to be kept in a non-freezing location out of harms way, and all the water lines and water heater drained and cleared to prevent any disasters when the next "opening" comes around...

Duties are usually divided amongst the various family members and Mrs and myself have fundamental opening/closing duties including "water systems" - frankly I'm the only one who has enough of a clue to handle what FiL built/created and maintain it. Therefore I get to haul the 70+ lb. unit back and forth and in and out every year and make sure the water system hasn't turned itself into a sprinkler system over the winter :)

There, aren't you glad you asked :jester:

This whole thing is actually rather ODD behaviour and quite regional, partly due to the Swedes and the 10,000+ lakes we have which afforded many people the reasonable ability to have this what was then "modest luxury" years ago. Nowadays it's impossible to find lakeshore property, even vacant plots, to build anything even 4+ hours away from the city, without having significant amounts of spare cash - so we do consider ourselves very lucky, even though it can sometimes be quite an alarming amount of work to maintain almost a second residence for a mere 4-5 months of use!!!

Here's the view from the lake shore, with Mrs on the dock. The cabin faces directly west so we enjoy spectacular sunsets on a regular basis

post-20244-0-63827800-1399735316.jpg

• Like 13

Last time I sailed through the Royal Navy “fleet" (enroute to Cherbourg and Le Mans) I thought they looked like they were all made of (warped) cardboard. Did they learn nothing from the Falklands?

Defensive capabilities and armour seemed sadly lacking. I believe that just the US Marines own fleet and aircraft outnumber both the Royal Navy and RAF combined. Sad really.

Best, Pete.

Whoops - almost forgot, sunny and clear/cool at 13.

Another "strange" thing about Minnesota and traditions is the the "fishing opener" i.e. fishing season start, is tomorrow and ALWAYS falls on US Mothers Day.

So about 70+% of the male population off up north and go fishing for the weekend leaving wives/mothers/girlfriends to fend for themselves. It's soemtheing I've NEVER understood, and a couple of times when it's been suggested the date of the opener be moved it's caused near riots in the streets!

Call me old-fashioned/whatever, but it seems a little sad that so many men here find Mothers Day that insiginficant <sigh>

OK - off to tackle the to-do list and do some modelling - :senile:  :boast:

• RMweb Gold

Another "strange" thing about Minnesota and traditions is the the "fishing opener" i.e. fishing season start, is tomorrow and ALWAYS falls on US Mothers Day.

So about 70+% of the male population ###### off up north and go fishing for the weekend leaving wives/mothers/girlfriends to fend for themselves. It's soemtheing I've NEVER understood, and a couple of times when it's been suggested the date of the opener be moved it's caused near riots in the streets!

Call me old-fashioned/whatever, but it seems a little sad that so many men here find Mothers Day that insiginficant <sigh>

Mother's Day is famously 9 long months after Father's Day - so it's hardly surprising that they have forgotten their part in the whole proceedings!

• Like 1

Back from Berkeley and the AGM - still newsletter Editor and Sandy is still the Secretary (i.e. lumbered).

Fascinating talk by Stuart Prior of Bristol University on Berkeley Castle, Minster and environs. And then a trip to their dig - where it rained. Looks like continuous occupation from Roman, through Dark Ages and Anglo Saxon, through Norman and all later periods.

Now to feed dogs and selves

• Like 4

Very late on duty today. Had a disturbed night as Amber woke up at 12.45am just as I was drifting off to sleep following a late night playing around with the new netbook I purchased on Thursday. She woke again at 6.45 so I was shattered by the time I crawled out of bed about 8am. We went to the Derby Moorways show this morning. A great event and she was perfectly well behaved, until she saw Nanna and Grandad (the inlaws) as we were halfway round. That was it, she just wanted to see them all the way round so we didn't get to see much of the second half of the show. The event was a good one and I will be helping out tomorrow so I will be able to catch the other stuff after I finish my stint.

My father in law came away with two brand new locos and a few scenic items. I didn't buy anything!

Right now I am sitting with wine laughing at the annual joke that is the Eurovision Song Contest!!

• RMweb Gold

After taking the dogs for a walk this morning made it to the ALSRM show at Reading. Seemed a little quiet but did manage to meet with quite a few friends. Also decided to buy one of Ixion's green Hudswell's before they all go (Chris at Dragon said he had three well two now!) plus one or two bits. Runswick Bay was there a lovely layout nice to see it again. Bob Harper had a cracking 0n2 layout based on Maine two footers.

One of our dog walks took us past Fawley Court there were lots of sign staying stick to the path and warning of security. Seemed very unfriendly however on-line discoverd the new owner after apying £22 million for a place that needs restoration, found temselves invaded by disgruntled Poles so I quite understand the notices now.

In general it looks to me as though the Regatta has very much taken over the river with stands etc being erected all over the place with some 6 weeks to the event. However the Kites were a delight to watch as the flew around s were the geese with their goslings.

Off home tomorrow with a stop overnight on the K&A to break the journey.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

ISPs - ours is BT - other companies are available.

We had an internet outage earlier, the phone was fine but no internet, so we rang the fault line, after pressing a variety of "select option 1 if you want to be disconnected" type buttons we eventually got through to the broadband support line - which said "please log a fault on www.bt.com" - these are apparently telecomms experts, so how on earth do they expect a customer with a fault on their broad band to access the Internet and log a call - <shakes head violently from side to side>

Add to that the joke which is the Eurovision, which I am being forced to watch, and a "great day" has been had !

Sun and T-Storms today. Back in shorts! 75f.

Photo of Morgan, Jack Steadman of  Crouch End’s finest: Bombay Bicycle Club and Liz, my daughter in Manhattan last night.

post-9016-0-41107900-1399759213_thumb.jpg

For Dom:

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

Evening all, early start tomorrow and probably no morning post as I have to have a Tapas lunch on the table by 1pm as No1 son and his lady friend are coming down from London for a couple of hours. Not met the lass yet but understand she's a stunner! Report back tomorrow night. Grandson (awaiting baby) said to me today : how can you think so young although your body tells us you are getting on! You fit in and converse easily with all of us however old (took that as a supreme compliment). I replied that I read a piece from Dylan Thomas (centenary of his birth in October!) when I was fairly young -

'The ball I threw while playing in the park

Has not yet reached the ground'

He understood the imagery immediately which impressed me. Before long I might have to introduce him to :

'Do not go gentle into that good night'

Not sure he'll like that so much!

Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend, because of above mentioned visit, my Sky+ box will be hot copying the GP as well as the World Superbikes from Imola (always a poignant venue for Ayrton fans!).

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My grandson is named Dylan....indirectly after the poet because it was a connection with Bob Dylan....who,of course,changed his name in admiration of Dylan Thomas.It is many years since I have been to Thomas's "Lovely Ugly Town"....Swansea.Remembering trips to Langland Bay from Aberdare by the Vale of Neath line and the long gone and magnificent Mumbles Railway and the trainspotting opportunities at High Street station.......Castles with red-backed nameplates and the carriage headboards "Paddington,Newport,Cardiff and Swansea"....the excitement as our homeward bound "stopper" passed Landore shed (87E)

The Birmingham Rep.has a touring production of "Under Milk Wood" on at the beginning of June.Tried to book yesterday but their website was down.System paralysed.Couldn't even make a telephone booking.Try again tomorrow.

Still haven't come back to earth after our Handel Samson last night .I am sung out .Lovely orchestra...four magnificent young soloists.The glorious ending with " Let The Bright Seraphim " ( Remember Kiri te Kanawa singing that in Westminster Abbey at  Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981 ?) and then....." Let Their Celestial Concerts All Unite" the finale with us,soloists and orchestra at full throttle. An experience to savour and treasure. Sadly we had a pitifully small audience....Eurovision Song on tv,poor weather and being realistic,a lack of interest. Came home and raised a glass....or two....to George Frederick.

• Like 2

No photography here,, too damp and overcast.

Big day today, I morph into an OAP...

Family lunch later, and the first chance to have all 3 grandchildren on my knee at the same time!

But first - airbrush practice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cup of tea beckons.

Managed to get a bit of modelling done in between other "tasks" yesterday.

Off to watch the rain fall at another ground today. As its a cup match..Pete its a crowther cup game..we may need a bowl out...at least they have some indoor nets so we can keep dry while that happens!

Have a peaceful Sunday those of you who can..for the rest of the ERs. Stay calm and..

Carpe diem!

• Like 7

Morning all..  Happy 65th Smiffy!  I went to school with a Dick Smith, so that would make him a similar age to you, but that was North London, not deepest Surrey..

Kicking my heels for an hour or so before this mornings pairs knockout.  Trying to get four guys in one place at the same time is like juggling with jelly, so hopefully the weather will hold.  

Told Jackie she must keep shaving or she'll end up like Conchita.. ;)

Just so those outside Europe know what I'm on about...

conchita wurst

The afternoon will be parked in front of the TV to see if Liverpool can edge Man City out.  No real chance, but this season may yet have a final twist.

Other than that some weathering powders await.  Spent a few hours on ET yesterday, but despite my best efforts there seems little to show.  Sometimes the smallest jobs take the most time.

Enjoy your Sunday, whatever you're up to today.

Good morning all. Grey and overcast here in Derby this morning and, judging by the look of the car, the rain has not long stopped. A busy Sunday ahead but I start the day in a bad mood and somebody at work will cop it tomorrow!

Sarah and I had a late one last night. We have not spent a lot of quality time together recently so once Amber was in bed work was off the agenda and we got out the wine, had a takeaway pizza and watched Eurovision - we know how to live it up! It was a very nice evening and we lost track of time so it was well after midnight that hit the sack. I am due to be helping at the Moorways show this morning and need to be there for just after 9.00. To avoid a rush this morning I set my mobile phone alarm for 7.30 only to be rudely awakened by the said phone at just after 6.00! A text message from a colleague at work asking about arrangements for tomorrow's SATs tests! At 6.10 on a Sunday morning - how rude! A number of less than Christian thoughts flew through my head on this Sabbath morning. After all I had discussed the arrangements with her twice last week AND given her as printed timetable. I am still fuming!

Hopefully the day will go better. Moorways this morning and then the Derby V Brighton second leg game to come later - will we be Wembley bound. Whatever you are doing today have a good one.