The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all, and many happy returns Sherry (remember it's only a number!). Back to fence panel painting for me, even though both wrists are rather stiff (Oops - expect ribald comments from the usual suspects!). I suppose I should be thankful that the Scottish education system insisted on teaching me to write, inside little angled boxes or else, with my right hand. Many of the Kerr clan are known to be left handed and so the ability to use both reasonably well came in useful for building racing bike engines, modelling etc. and now garden fence painting! Spreads the load I suppose.

Another worthwhile cause Debs, I lived in Cornwall when the 'Solomon Browne' went down (Penlee disaster) and the effect on the close knit nautical communities is shattering!

Love the 2-6-0 pic. Shedman, we had several at Hurlford and It brought back wonderful memories, particularly how easy it was as a youngster to get dirty from the well oiled valve gear!

Good luck with the tooth Ian - I have L-of-Arabia on disc and will re-visit it with interest, small world eh? Thank you.

Have the best day you can

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Furry alarm??

Woof!

Yes Neil is correct. I don't how but Robbie goes into "intruder on premises" as soon as someone crosses from the pavement to our garden or if a van pulls up outside. He can't see them if he is in the kitchen or utility room. What is clever is that he doesn't bark if my neighbour arrives in his van. 

• Like 4

Steaming hot again here on the Costa. . . . . Well. . .Anything above 15 here is a heatwave. . .

Happy birthday Ashcombe, and I would suggest buying a new magic mirror . . . . . .

MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, TELL ME LIES OR SAY S*D ALL

T. E. Lawrence died 15 years before I was born!

Yes, it's my birthday today so I'm glad the sun is shining so far although rain is forecast. When The Beatles sang about this age, it seemed so old! In my head, I'm 25 but the mirror says otherwise!

O/H is up early as it has fallen to him (as new Committee member) to admit the decorators to The Little Theatre at 0800.

Have a good day - we're out for lunch at one of our favourite restaurants (Italian)

Many Happy Returns Sherry. Have a good one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I am eating normally again - so that says it all. I was offered a slot at 1030, having rung on the N of Nine to get in asap. My dentist is in Mamers, a pleasant enough town about 10 km away. Monday is market day, and when we first moved here we made a point of attending most weeks, but it soon palled, TBH. So I decided to be early and have a wander around. I knew the mobile cheese shop would be there, and I am forever looking for a cheese called Soumaintrain. Deb had once bought some, possibly in Sedan, and it was impossibly creamy, spreading easily straight from a cold fridge. Nice lady told me that it was too warm to be carrying Soumaintrain, which evidently comes in big rounds, but offered me something called Petit Gaugry, also from Bourgogne, which comes in little wooden tubs. We shall see.

So, the dentist took a quick look and clearly was confident. I asked if the tooth could be saved and he had no doubts. He had, I'm sorry to say, to give me a whole sequence of injections, as his drilling and grinding found bits that were not numbing, and he said this was partly due to there being two "racines" which I take to being nerves or roots. Never a nice experience, but I now have a temporary filling, and go back in a few weeks for the real thing, possibly some sort of crown. It turned out this was not the tooth he'd filled a few months back, which explains its increasing discomfort and demise. Whatever - the day seemed a lot brighter on the return trip!

Sherry's experience on becoming 64 mirrors mine at the time - how did this happen to me? Being 65 is only marginally worse....

• RMweb Gold

I think I stand more chance of reaching the age mentioned in the Beatles song rather than what I originally thought the l lyrics were "When I'm six feet four...."

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The day at work is not proving to be constructive.  I wish I could unload it, but I can't......lets just say:  Social Worker :butcher:  Police Officer :butcher:   Office Manager :punish:  I wish I could do that to them too......like kids, honestly.

Edited by New Haven Neil

Happy Birthday Sherry - we're all a lot younger than our cronological age suggests. Mrs embraced the age by setting her cell phone ring tone to the Beatles classic, she loved it :)

I managed to succumb to the "...losing my hair.." way earlier than the precribed age, so was actually happy when I finally matched the lyric :jester:

14 and overcast here with occasional showers, not much change expected all day - rather gloomy after the lovely weekend we had.

Cheers to those that continue what some of us can only distantly dream of (retirement that is), and best foot forward to those in the workhouse again - Monday means there's only four days to go to the weekend :O

Oh, and modelling update, I only have ONE section of rafter remaining to be built!!! YAY or boo hoo, depending on my state of mind as I ponder the though.

OK, enough merriment, I have SQL procedures to write and documentation to produce :mail:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Madam whiplash  Dental Hygienist wasn't too bad really... doors painted (after a trip to buy another tin of paint..)

Happy Birthday Ashers! (bit late but I have been a bit busy!)

Lawrence of Arabia..... all of the years I worked for RO and then Vickers I used to pass the spot he was killed (there is a little memorial there) on my way to/from Lulworth if I was staying in Wareham.  Never got to look around Clouds Hill as the NT opening times were not overly helpful(its next door to the tank driving area in Bovington). Great man.. just wished we had listened to him about the Middle East.

NHN .. stay calm .. remember the countdown!

Time for a mid afternoon cuppa!

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Like Tony I'm expecting a delivery, from the Stobart shop. A couple of Oxford's finest that are not on general release yet.

They arrived this morning, a slight disappointment as one, the Scania 8 wheel crane lorry has white showing through the blue tampo printing. I was debating whether or not to replace the cab with a plain white one so it looks like that will be done now.

• Like 1

Okie dokie, this score just in - Weather 1 Forecasters 0

I've two items that need review/references. As they were used in the morning weather forecast/report;

1) Showers likely - seems to me p*issi*ng it down solid all day (now coming up on 1PM here), is hardly grounds for i) showers or ii) likely!!! Dictionary please :)

2) A morning forecast of 18-19 for a high - misses the mark some when it's now DROPPED 2 degrees since 9AM and is presently 12 and deemed to not get higher. Duh!

It's pouring with no report of it stopping until late evening and there is a major thunderstorm rolling in and across us, I'm back to building the ark!! :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

Been drilling holes in plates. Nasty job, and it's 28º in my shed and I have to do it with the door closed because of the noise like a cat on a blackboard.

I hope Julie doesn't sell any cake stands this week...

• Like 2

They say you're never too old to learn.  Neither Jack or I had heard the word,'vale' to mean farewell.  120 years of education and life between the two of us and yet had never come across that meaning before.  So much for Grammar Schools...

Somewhat humid tonight as we took the cheddar thief for a walk.  He should have been grounded…:-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Very late on parade so a belated HB to Sherry.

Went to Q & B  but possibly never again after their stupid self service scanner thing didn't work properly so ended up not buying all I went for - very pi##ed off GB but I was not alone - many others felt the same way.

Went to local garden centre - much better experience with happy cheerful helpful staff.

Then spent all day working in the garden and have now seized up but after a couple of pints am feeling better....perhaps another is called for?

Grumpy of Sutton.