The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Went to B and Q looking at bathrooms, and their "we fit the lot" service. When we got up again after they told us the price I said "but we do get the wrinklies 10% off that don't we?"    

"Not on showroom items Sir".     What does that mean? I'd have thought pretty much everything they sell is in a showroom.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Is it me, or has the forum gone really quiet for the last day or two?  There seems to be a lot of bad feeling floating around at the moment. Perhaps it's to do with the weather.

Ed

I haven't noticed any bad feeling. Perhaps I should deploy my Squirrel blog (it is a blog and has a photo of a squirrel). It seems to calm people on Facebook!

• Like 4

...We went to a bar once in the north and it seemed that ordering in German rather than Italian was the wiser choice.

Tony

There's a chunk of North East Italy that has changed hands between the Italians and the Austrians a few times over the past centuries (the Italians got it back for good after WWI) and German is still the predominant laguage and the food (and drink) is heavily German influenced (Knödel instead of gnocchi, etc). My father's family comes from this area (the Friuli or Freaul [sp?] in the local dialect). My surname is originally from S Italy, but my father's family have been in Friuli for centuries.

Is it me, or has the forum gone really quiet for the last day or two?  There seems to be a lot of bad feeling floating around at the moment. Perhaps it's to do with the weather.

Ed

I wasn't aware of any bad feeling. What's been going on? (PM me if you don't want to repeat in open forum) RMWeb is usually quite civilised.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

There have been at least two spats in recent days. One where a very long-served professional modeller appeared miffed by being reported, and took his bat home, much to the consternation of a large number of followers of his thread on coach-building. Another was on the quality of a large but un-scenicked layout at Expo EM, where a senior member aired his disappointment and many others took up cudgels, mainly against him.

Neither does RMweb any great service, but people have principles, and forums are where they are aired.

That's what counts for bad around here? You should try a football or F1 forum...

I've been meaning to post that my reception as a clueless chimp has been courteous, helpful and patient to a degree I couldn't have hoped for!

• RMweb Gold

That's what counts for bad around here? You should try a football or F1 forum...

I've been meaning to post that my reception as a clueless chimp has been courteous, helpful and patient to a degree I couldn't have hoped for!

The moderation here is very effective, so out-and-out insulters are given short shrift. And of course we don't know the identity of the mods - although they probably don't include the bloke who only joined last week - but they also post as themselves. Thus if we don't agree with a mod's judgement we can't pursue the matter personally. It works well.

People who post interesting and amusing stuff, and who are polite, generally go down well here. Have you got that new insulin "pen" in place yet?

Edited by Oldddudders

............There seems to be a lot of bad feeling floating around at the moment. Perhaps it's to do with the weather.

:ireful: I`ll have you know there`s no bad feeling here at all: end-of! :wild:

:blum: ............or perhaps you`d like to step outside and make something of it!?!?!?!? :laugh:

Edited by Debs.

Cheers Ian, looks like the pen will be tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. I understand cost efficiencies, but it wouldn't hurt too much to prescribe a back-up, surely?

In France the same medication is prescribed in disposable pens (I had to buy some when I managed to leave my spare vials in England) and it wasn't expensive, but I could probably buy a new pen over the counter, which I don't seem to be able to do here.

• RMweb Premium

Never seen any bad feeling HERE - as in, ER's!  :angel:

Quite the opposite, although I notice we (ER's regulars) take some gentle flack elsewhere in RMWeb on occasion.  Oddly, recently noticed it in a thread where they waffle to each other just like we do - don't quite get that, introspection mustn't be a hot point. :dontknow:

Now I need to make sure Debs isn't about to biff me for posting train photos again....... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

post-10195-0-57281700-1400677329.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Now I need to make sure Debs isn't about to biff me for posting train photos again....... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Here is an emergency "Spot the Dog" competition to distract Debs. 

post-6719-0-72252000-1400677895_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Ed

Weather’s great over here. 80f over the weekend - and Monday is the unofficial start of Summer, Memorial Day!

Fleet Week in NY Harbor (until next Tuesday) - unfortunately I don’t believe any nuclear powered Carriers in town though, this year.

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

:ireful: I`ll have you know there`s no bad feeling here at all: end-of! :wild:

:blum: ............or perhaps you`d like to step outside and make something of it!?!?!?!? :laugh:

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the **** do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? OK

Nuff said? :jester:

Quite the opposite, although I notice we (ER's regulars) take some gentle flack elsewhere in RMWeb on occasion.  Oddly, recently noticed it in a thread where they waffle to each other just like we do - don't quite get that, introspection mustn't be a hot point. :dontknow:

Now I need to make sure Debs isn't about to biff me for posting train photos again....... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

attachicon.gifHP_Rear_3_4_plume_big_curvej.jpg

:friends: Quality photo`s like that warrant an excusatory permit! :locomotive:

BTW: I like Neil`s new-avatar.....but I thought his old Triskelion still had legs! :mosking:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello again,

Seems I've missed some excitement (or is it ill feeling and flak?) elsewhere on here during my enforced absence due to AO'ell and its inabilities to manage its internet operation, oh and I've missed Ashers birthday so belated congrats and like the new avatar.  Commiserations/congratulations to all those whose other whatevers I have missed.

The short version - letter from AOL last week informed us that there would be Open Reach work on our local exchange on Sunday night/early morning so we would not be able to get on line.  Come 09.00 Monday still unable to get online so 'phone the AOL help(less) number and carefully explain the situation - get told to reset my router (is it spelt the same as the woodworking tool then?) and in fact go through that performance three times despite telling Sonia in Bombay or wherever that I have not got an internet signal and everything else is working.  Finally resort to my best Hindi (i.e. English spoken very, very, loudly) to say it's the exchange - for the fifth time - not me.  Sonia agrees to 'test the line' but wants me to call het on a mobile 'phone - I explain that I haven't got one so it is finally agreed that she will call me back (from India) but that will be 'tomorrow'.  I duly ask if they still have the thing where they only have one outside line in the office, say it's far from good enough and demand return call today - Sonia duly asks the supervisor and he agrees to her calling me back today (Monday).  I have to go out - and while in town visit the telephone exchange ('blokes who were working here earlier have gone, sorry can't help any more than that).  While I am out Sonia calls back and says the line tested ok and they will send me a new router because we have 'a much older model'.

About one hour ago the internet signal resumed - I have a faint suspicion that something might have been reconnected in the exchange as I still have 'the much older model router' in use.  Big question is how long will it last? (the connection that is, the router will probably go on forever, maybe?

That apart neurology consultant seen today and is still of the mind that I don't have the big P.

Have a good day one & all.

Mike, That last bit is a piece of very good news and brightens my afternoon - when all is said and done your health is more important than all the other trials such as that which you have just undergone with the call centre! At the same time, it draws into perspective how trivial some of the spats mentioned above actually are!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, good news Mike. :imsohappy:

'New Avatars Are Us' it would seem, with Ashers rather splendid new version also.  I was just having a dig around for things to put in mine, the FL9 made a change. A more personal version would not be anything like as easy on the eyes as Sherry or Debs!

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Dull day here but this morning, when I managed to walk off a whole Mars bar (and a bit) - so Debs informs me - the sun certainly had his hat on and now, to celebrate I'm eating a Marathon (I don't do Snickers) :mosking:

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Quite the opposite, although I notice we (ER's regulars) take some gentle flack elsewhere in RMWeb on occasion.  Oddly, recently noticed it in a thread where they waffle to each other just like we do - don't quite get that, introspection mustn't be a hot point.

Happy to take gentle flack elsewhere, after all  2590 pages and 64,743 replies would suggest ( correctly) that this thread is a successful one. Shame some are missing out!

Edited by Shedman5

Back from work.

Some years ago I ran an AGM in the Bass Brewery Museum (as it was then) and we went to the on site pub for lunch. This was to prove that I could run p*** up in a brewery.

I feel like I may need to prove it again.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 5