Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Neil, very best of luck tomorrow my friend - I know you'll keep it together for Jayne's sake but that somehow seems to make it worse for you! We'll all be thinking of you and the ladies and hope it goes as well as such events can.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Not raining (which is a plus!).

During the match last night, I thought the 'In play' Odds quoted by the advertisers were a bit mean.

I see that Debs's machine is still functioning (or the library opens very early on the Wirral).

Hello all,

Much Congrats to Matthew.

Overcast and showery here. It's nearing mid-Winter and the dams capacity are all in the 90s.        

16C forecast for today and as I repeatedly say, that's cold to me, I am wearing all available layers of clothing AND my heater is on.

• RMweb Gold

Rather spitefully I have to agree with the comment that Coleen Rooney's arrival in Brasil with (allegedly) 18 pieces of luggage, equated to one case per hour that England remained in contention during the World Cup group stages.

Matthew can be proud of his 2:1.  

Not so England

I'm currently trying to write 'the father of the bride' speech for my daughter's upcoming wedding.  Not as easy as I would have thought, primarily because the Obergrumpenfuhrer has banned me from using any jokes likely to offend my daughter's future MiL (who is Iranian)

So  that also means no chance of getting the old AK 47 out of my crash out kit to add a bit of cultural celebration to the whole proceedings.

It would have been the only time I could have mindlessly fired off into the air rather than taking deliberate aimed shots!

Just seen Don's post.

I don't know what the temp is here at present, but I'm in minimum clothing and the heater is definitely off!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cloudy, quite warm. Achieving conciousness this morning seemed to require some effort.

I'm off to Leicester later this morning to collect Matthew.

Aditi set off early this morning. She wasn't supposed to be in college this morning as she was scheduled to be an external assessor at her former college (the examining  body are aware that she used to work there) but has managed to secure an interview at 9 with one of the assistant principals, one who is in the management hierarchy for Aditi and HR. After that she will drive over to the former college.

She intends to tell the manager that she will not apply for voluntary redundancy, they have no case for dismissing her on health grounds, and that if as they have been assured the job she and colleagues do will continue (with changes) what is her role and why has she been receiving contradictory messages about next year from other senior staff?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently trying to write 'the father of the bride' speech for my daughter's upcoming wedding.  Not as easy as I would have thought, primarily because the Obergrumpenfuhrer has banned me from using any jokes likely to offend my daughter's future MiL (who is Iranian)

So  that also means no chance of getting the old AK 47 out of my crash out kit to add a bit of cultural celebration to the whole proceedings.

It would have been the only time I could have mindlessly fired off into the air rather than taking deliberate aimed shots!

I think if they had turned up at our wedding my future MiL would have probably wanted me to be on the receiving end of a carefully aimed shot. All friends now though. Aditi's Dad also spoke some Farsi (he could read it quite well) but I'm not sure he knew any jokes in any of the many languages he spoke.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a bright sunny start to the day then I saw Roundhouse's update there never is a good day for a funeral, my condolences for Neil too today

. I was pleased Matthew got a 2:1 his secondary teachers must be just a touch suprised. If I was Aditi I would have a dictaphone to hand for that meeting.....

• RMweb Gold

I didn't allow any sort of speeches at my first welding, am uncertain what I will have to endure if I get to my second, as I feel I may have slightly less say in the matter, even though there cannot be any parents! But there is a chance of an Iranian lady being there.....

A bit cloudy here, but warm enough for almost Mid-Summer. Much above 20 doesn't suit me so well, really, and certainly not at night.

Jon fished the roof works yesterday, has taken his 46" tv in recompense. I hope he can make it work, as we couldn't find the handbook - and Deb was meticulous at filing things in marked files, so that was surprising. No doubt he'll find something on the Toshiba web site.

Alison arrived a little early for her cleaning job, but made three visits in all, having to check that the incommunicado partner was actually picking up the bambini from skool, and then having to get the cat from the vet's after a rather late spaying. Thus I had company for more than 12 hrs yesterday, which is a bit wearing for me.

Sheena here for coffee at 11.

Hope you are seeing the week whip by as you would hope.

• Like 2

I didn't allow any sort of speeches at my first welding,.....

Freudian slip?  I know marriage is supposed to get you together, but welding??

On the subject, today is our 33rd wedding anniversary, so the welding seems to have worked!

• Like 8

Morning all, a bit overcast today but cooler, I don't like it too hot. In Winter I don't like it cold. I know, never happy. I've just remembered a couple of insults to add to the earlier ones:-

He has a slate loose.

Daft as a boat horse.

These may be local terms, there will have been similar local insults all over the country. Probably the boat horses were used on the canal, it doesn't sound like they were particularly bright does it? Not a commonly used term these days.

We have had a joiner replacing the garage door frames this week, when he took them out they were almost hollow in the centre and spongy on the outside. It's a wonder they stood up for so long. They lasted fifty years so we are hoping the new ones are as long lived, not that we will be worrying about them. A better painting day for him too. Enjoy your day all.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Tony, congratulations to Matthew – that's something he has every right to be proud of!

Stayed off work today and feeling a bit better after a rotten night. Perhaps browsing for some modelling bargains might speed up recovery as well, as it's rainy outside anyway...

I see that Debs's machine is still functioning (or the library opens very early on the Wirral).

The laptop operating system rebuild hasn`t gone at all well: now taking 25 minutes to boot into anything like usefulness and then often only 5-10 minutes (or so) until a freeze or total-crash.......looks like I wont be able to contribute much of use for the foreseeable. :wacko:

.....but nought in the great scheme of things, especially so as some of our E.R family are enduring a day of great personal sadness and loss. :(

Congrats to Simon and Dave on their respective wedding anniversaries.

I hope Aditi's meeting went well.

I have also given up hope where England are concerned and have switched my allegiance to Holland for so long as they remain in the tournament.

• Like 2

Good Morning all from a sunny Clacton.

Just returned from dropping Archie the Westie at the dog groomers for his fortnightly 'full works' treatment - should be clean for at least a day now! Joanna struck lucky when she found this lady soon after we got Archie from the breeders as she absolutely loves him, even using him in her publicity with our permission. The feeling is mutual, mention of her name has him running to the cupboard where his leads are kept! She now works from the garage (suitably converted) at home and always seems to do little extras and has pegged her price for years for her 'regulars'.

Wonder what 'flux' Ian used to get the joint to work in the first place? Seriously, hearty congratulations to Simon and his good lady, as well as to Dave and his for next week - both have done better than me but don't forget, I'm on my second sentence! (Joanna won't see this obviously!).

Great to see Aditi going on the offensive and I hope she has taken Mick B's advice! Becoming quite a gripping saga this but I suspect not much fun for those directly involved, still, a good outcome would make it all worthwhile. I am just beginning to wonder whether Aditi can ever feel comfortable working with this bunch of 'aerosols' in the future after such abysmal treatment?

Popular insult at the garage was 'he was hiding behind the door when the brains were handed out'. There were more, but too rude to post here! Mum used to use 'one slice short of a cut loaf'.

Ian, sounds like Jon the builder was a real find - don't appear to be so many 'old school craftsmen' types around these days which makes you wonder if the disappearance of the apprenticeship training of old has some bearing on the matter. That and the slack rules that allow almost anyone to set up a business using the titles builder, carpenter etc. when they would be more aptly named 'bodger' (with apologies to AndyP for use of his nick-name hahaha).

Hope the rest of your day passes smoothly, kind regards,

Jock.

PS Dom, sorry to hear of your bug - hope you feel better soon. And Debs, beginning to sound as if a replacement is the only solution!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 5

Speeches at weddings can be are a mine field. I was threatened when my youngest daughter's wedding finally arrived with dire events that only an S.E.N. (State Enrolled Nurse) could threaten.

Came the day, I stood up and told the assembled hoards of my dilemma and produced a sheet of paper which I had carefully cut out rectangular holes in it. "Here I have a carefully prepared and even more carefully censored speech".....(dramatic pause here, whilst I waved it to strangely silent room)....but as I screwed up said piece of paper and threw it over my shoulder...........I said," but I'm not using that to-day"!    

There no doubt that this must be considered a dangerous manoeuvre from which I lucky to escape with only a bad case of sun burn down one side of my body.  

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 4

I believe there may be a currency exchange difficulty if Debs replaced her laptop.

I'm sure there must be ERs with redundant devices which would suit very well for the time being.

If in the UK I will pay for carriage.

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Not only the usual Friday task but also an appointment at the surgery - if only Doctors could be as punctual as (some of) their patients, we were finally summoned in 35 minutes late and I told him not to bother with my blood pressure as I reckoned it was about 140 over 93.  But he bothered, and thought it was very good - actually 140 over 76, amazing :scratchhead:   anyway all ok otherwise but time to try yet another statin, this time the one I came off last year, hmm.

Well done Simon, and Dave to come - always good to here you more recently married couples are doing well (we notched up our 37th anniversary this year, I think).  Hope too that things went well for Aditi and that she came straight out of the meeting and wrote up her notes of what had been said.

As for wedding speeches Ian should take note of a subject on the Ebay Madness thread where one offering which has been highlighted is a bloke selling 'books' made up from pages lifted off Wikiwhatsit - this sort of thing could readily be adapted for a wedding speech but instead of using Wiki he could use ERs and thus blame the entire content on someone else.

DD - I have an ancien (regime) laptop with a fairly old version of Windows and a dodgy battery (age related deficiency but works ok off the mains) and it will do a bit of web browsing but fairly basically.  Totally out of date on anti-virus alas but free to a good home.

Have a good day one & all and I hope it went as well as could be hoped for Neil and the ladies.

• Like 6

Simon, and Dave next week - congratulations on the anniversaries, something to cherish.

Tony/Mathew - offer up my contratulations also. Great to see ones kids moving ahead in life, and Aditi is on the money with her approach I'm sure, smart lady :)

Debs - wish I was less than 3000 miles away, I've a couple of old systems you could choose from, both fairly decent basic machines too <sigh>

Richard/Ian - speeches are highly overrated (except "The Kings Speech", IMHO) but sometimes are the cost of the event. I've been fairly lucky both receiving and giving so far, so good luck with whatever your choice is.

On to the weather - it's OFFICIAL, we got 4 inches of rain, YESTERDAY! Arrghhhhh!!! The entire place is simply "sodding wet!!" There is local flooding around the lakes and the river, the Mississippi is starting to reach over the banks in downtown St. Paul and that's never good, there is expected to be more widespread flooding into next week as the river crests.

A few places serious soil erosion, and localized landslides on the bluffs along the river. Countless folks have varying amounts of water in their basements, some very serious, and we're pretty "lucky" overall as ours is what could be described as a minor nuisance. Some sealing and repair work into the evening localized/stopped it and some additional work this weekend should resolve our personal problems. Many folks far more dire, glad I'm not them!

It's 21 going for 30, partly cloudy and we're supposed to get a mostly dry weekend with possibly some isolated thunderstorms. We'll spend much/most of it fixing the basement issues and then getting some shelving in place for storage in the workroom that has the problems. Probably NO modelling, which I was looking forward to <sigh>

POETS day at least is a good way to look at it - have a great Friday all...

Afternoon from here, the view over Borough Market Junction has blue sky wth some big white clouds. Trains are flowing freely

Congratulations to Matthew - they used to say a "made in" was the ideal degree level - shows you worked hard but not so hard you didn't enjoy yourself too!

My favourite version of the insult I think I heard on Steve Wright in the Afternoon when I was still at school - and it was "He's one brick short of the Berlin Wall".