The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Didn't post much yesterday, as there wasn't much to report! The sunny weather continues, and nights are a little warmer than of late, which is weird but welcome.

I did a late shopping trip yesterday, getting back home about 18.30. The road outside is now open again, after a fortnight, but when I set off I soon found myself in the middle of a cycle event, with marshalls on every corner and at each side turning. And the high-street in St Cosme was lined with spectators. By the time I came back through, all had dissipated and access to my road was ok. It was when I got back to my gate that things went a little adrift - there was a funny little van broken down in the gateway. Poor chap saw my indicator (ooh!) and did his best to push the van forward, so I was able to squeeze past. Having stowed my shopping, we had a brief chat, and he asked if I'd mind the van being in my drive for a few days. I didn't, but in the end his girlfriend and mates arrived and the van was taken away on a small trailer. The van was a "sans permis" ("no licence required"), so has a very small engine, certainly less than 600 cc. They are quite pricey, as is insurance, and the only reason you'd drive one is your licence has been withdrawn!

The local steam railway has its final showing of the year today, in conjunction with the apple/cider festival at Prevelles. Times must be hard, because in previous years they've had lots of trains running, but this year it seems to be just one out-and-back steam train. Pity.

Hope your day goes well.

• Like 4

Good morning all,  

Not much to report from here......but I thought you would like to see another of my GF's photos from Ontario, taken yesterday afternoon.  Of to work shortly, (No Pete it's not a model).

Be good while I'm gone! 

Trev

post-4282-0-36390700-1411887807.jpg

• Like 14

Morning Jock, morning all.

>I just had a Lionel Blue moment there<

Woken before 7 by Blondie. Nice to have a cuddle, but I'd rather have been asleep. So, up and to breakfast, a proper continental (well, Sainsbury's croissants). Julie arrived in time for the croissants...

Now, showered and fragrant, off to do her reading homework with her. It's a hard life being a kid. Especially as yesterday she did some excellent work on our zoo visit to take into school where one of their topics is African Animals. They are also doing P4C - Philosophy for Children, which is something I pushed when I was at the Department of Comedy and Science Fiction*. It's a very good thing indeed.

Have a good day ball wringing or whatever floats your boot.

*Department for Children, Families and Schools. DCFS. Sounds like they sell sofas...

• Like 7

Ian - I hate Sans-Permis! You're tooling along doing 60mph and all of a sudden there's this little vehicle in front of you containing a very old man or seriously overweight woman doing 25!  And of course the favourite way of getting one is to lose your licence through drink-driving...

Here's a couple i've seen recently with a Volvo and a 2 year old Blondie to lend scale!

post-17799-0-63539100-1411889440_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-78497700-1411889441_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Blurry eyed good morning to all.

We went to Barrowhill Live yesterday.  We didn't know whether we'd be able to go until Friday so a last minute decision to go by day return train instead of car and a night stopover somewhere.

Depart 0720 from Bangor arrive Chesterfield (late) in time to MISS the Chesterfield-Barrowhill train shuttle and a long wait for the free bus service.  Getting in the taxi outside the entrance seemed the best option.  Once there, we tried out the brake van ride as well. :mosking:

post-14049-0-58902200-1411889044.jpg

Return after a great day via a different set of connections with an hour at Chester and a crowded Saturday evening "night-out" train to Bangor with various renditions of popular songs and Happy Birthday.  Oh, boy!

post-14049-0-57411700-1411889061.jpg

If you're going to Barrowhill today, have a good day.

If not, have a good day, too.

Polly

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ian - I hate Sans-Permis! You're tooling along doing 60mph and all of a sudden there's this little vehicle in front of you containing a very old man or seriously overweight woman doing 25!  And of course the favourite way of getting one is to lose your licence through drink-driving...

Here's a couple i've seen recently with a Volvo and a 2 year old Blondie to lend scale!

attachicon.gifSans Permi 2.jpg

attachicon.gifSans Permi 3.jpg

Shouldn't we all have one, the kids travelling in their own? :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

New bag of frozen peas gone a little bit solid. So there I am dropping the bag on the worktop to break up the lump.

Then the bag split and it's frozen peas all over the kitchen.

Then Sandy walks in.

Doghouse.

Buying £100 of frozen peas from Scale forum was doomed from the start!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny here, and Matthew and I are just about to set off to London (though I suppose it is Westminster?) with a couple of suitcases and a rucksack. 

Aditi isn't going. She has to redo the "timetable", for tomorrow. Newly appointed staff informed her on Friday they had found better jobs.

Aditi is thinking about timetabling a session for listening to complaints. 

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning, lazy Sunday morning due to having burnt candles at bothe ends the last few days.

Thank you gentlemen (and hippos) for the info regarding the Finescale mag, issue ordered to have a look-see.  The cover photo looks rather splendid, but ironic that close inspection appears to reveal the left hand loco is one of those magazine mouldings, hardly finescale but a superb diorama and photography (yes, yes, I know the article is about photography but still, I allow my self some amusement these days!).  Anyway it looks like I will be taking the magazine but don't like the fact the full subscription appeared to be self renewing via paypal, unless I mis-understood the page  (quite likely, given I'm half asleep).  

I have MRJ from issue 0 (missing the 3rd compendium if anyone has one spare!) and like the inspiration it gives - I am certainly not a finescale modeller by any stretch of the imagination, but I like to see nice work!

Vintage bike club run this afternoon, meeting on the site of what was St John's station as it happens!

Edit for spelling, grammar and grey haired idiocy.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

We didn't go for a meal with stepgranddaughter as her Dad had to go to work, but they came round for a visit, which was nice as  we don't see her that often. Then as the plan was to go out, we went after they'd gone. Ate too much and watched the Arsenal/Spurs match on the pub TV. Then vegged out in front of Dr Who. Wierd. Nothing on the workbench was disturbed yesterday.

Pete

• Like 1

Morning all,

Pete (Trisonic), that video was quite a surprise this morning - I think he made a good job of 'Waterloo Sunset', it was a song I always liked in the original with Mr Davies at the mike! Somehow can never get certain weird images of Peter Gabriel out of my mind - all the fantastic costumes worn on the 'Selling England by the Pound' tour which I saw in Birmingham (we hitched there in those days!) in I think 1973. I also saw him at one of his Womads, tearing about the stage on a Segway, 'dancing' with a similarly mounted young lady, in and out of the musicians while performing vocals! Strange fellow?

John (Killybegs) I always feel that engines were invented to save us from that amount of exercise! Must have been great to re-visit the site of your model 'Worseter' again however, overgrown or not. I thought the greenery would offer a greater modelling challenge although possibly move you away from the era you are aiming to portray.

Ian (Oldddudders), love the sound of the cider and apple festival as I'm a veteran of many such events both here in the UK and in Normandy. Even found one in the grounds of the 'Copped Hall' estate near Epping where our eldest daughter has a house - very handy considering the strength of the various tasting glasses that it would have simply been rude not to try! Real shame about the reduction in your nearby steam engine action : our nearest railway site is at 'Chappel and Wakes Colne' near Colchester  and I always get the impression of a shaky financial base when I visit there. I think the problem stems from the restricted size of the enterprise, compromised further by limited parking, but as usual it is shored up by a bunch of fantastically dedicated volunteers. I try to visit at least once a year, taking Freddie the great grandson to the obligatory 'Thomas' weekend this summer!

Dick and Ian, the 'microcars' still require a driving licence in the UK but the driver profile definitely fits! We had one whose owner was a customer our of our service department (I think the service manager took pity on him!) and it was a terribly unreliable device with a real problem when it came to sourcing spare parts. As to the driving abilities of the owner - the words 'mobile chicane' spring to mind!

Still, if Phil's paper is to be believed, we are in for an Indian summer - good news as long as you're not a skin cancer sufferer!  

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 12

Neil,(NHN),

Hope you enjoy the bike run - I will settle for a session watching the MotoGP at Aragon later, which is hopefully recording on Sky+ as we speak!

Was it the one copy of MRJ, No3, Autumn 1985 that you seek - I've recently put my collection of 366+ railway modelling mags up for sale for a measly £60, which equates to something like 16p per issue. Obviously about 120 of them are good old RM but they are stuffed with useful information for modellers (I've scanned everything I need!). The only problem is shipping due to the weight involved. If that one issue is all you need, let me know as I think I have it (if I didn't misunderstand the wording - compendium?). the only problem is that I'm barred from climbing a ladder into the garage loft where they are stored until after my consultation with the surgeon on 6th October. We can sort something out for one issue after then if you like.

Kind regards,

Jock.      

Edited by Jock67B

• RMweb Premium

if I didn't misunderstand the wording - compendium?

Jock - The Compendium was a separate publication - a bit like an annual but only published in 1988, 1994, and 1997 with similar articles to the magazine - but more of them.

Details here http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/compendium.php?s=3

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Actually quite a few do - mostly of the “very complicated Jazz type” - players. I have very large hands but can understand that 7 string guitars can solve some reach problems - otherwise everyone i’ve seen with one still seem to be double jointed in their hands...

Best, Pete.

I think that the great George Van Epps developed a 7 string guitar which was marketed as a signature model.

Afternoon All

Late on parade due to going out quite early to one of these functions held in a field where a large quantity of junk is offered for sale, and occasionally the odd bargain/great find comes our way.  In fact, we were having so much fun that we went to two of these, and I managed to get quite cream crackered by the amount of walking round that we did, and I managed to let my blood sugar drop a bit more that it should, as I thought we'd be back sooner.  That more or less sees the end of the car boot season now, though there are a few that go on during the winter.  Possibly that means a few lie-ins on a Sunday.  Regrettably, today I didn't manage to find anybody disposing of obscure railway books at silly prices (oh sorry, that was me earlier in the season!) - but in reality for every two books I sold, I managed to buy one back either at a boot or via other outlets.  I did find a really cheap copy of Roger Bradley's Standard Steam Locomotives of British Railways in a junk shop yesterday at a couple of quid, and it cleaned up very well.

Other than that, not a lot of activity here, other than 30747 watching a rerun of the Bake-Off (the lass who was eliminated this week was an A level student whose English teacher turns out to be 30747's sister's daughter - small world, innit?).

Generic wishes and commiserations where needed.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back.

Good run out with the vintage club, about 35 bikes, good route through many of the islands more remote roads, and ended up at a big house of one member with a huuuuge garden, all tea and nibbles supplied - excellent.  Of course nugget head here forgot his camera.....d'oh.  Bikes ranged from a pre-1st war flat tanker to 80's Ducatis - 25 year-old rule for inclusion.

Jock, Mike B kindly filled the gap in for me, the MRJ Compendiums are a sort of 'Oor Wullie Christmas Annual' publication, I have no idea how I missed one, but I did!  Thank you for your kind offer though, I do have MRJ complete despite some fairly drastic changes in my life and modelling (including 'lack of'!!) through those years, always bought it even when buying and doing nothing else in the model railway world.

• Like 6