The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I suppose tragedies happen all year around but it seems particularly prevalent around Christmas.

Also there is the annual reminder of ongoing festivities which mark the event.

It doesn't take a long memory to recall the hundreds of thousands killed in recent years on Boxing Day and the enormous ripple effect on friends and relatives.

Air disasters over the decades have seemed to occur just before Christmas.

Perhaps, one day, humanity will decide there are enough natural calamities and health issues without seeking to kill each other to add to the misery.

I hope so.

I'm nervous about Sevenoaks School, it's some way from the town centre and definitely a bus ride from Tubs Hill.

Bill

When I was a lad it was a brisk walk! Not easy but still a relief after six years of boarding there.

Tony

• Like 1

Morning again all,

Was late to bed last night, around midnight. Then about 03:00 there was an almighty pounding of feet and scream as our youngest came hurtling into our bedroom, apparently pursued by Lord Voldermort. Now one thing known to drive off demons and my youngest is my snoring. About 20 minutes after his emergency flight from the Dark Lord a small voice muttered:

"Worst night ever! Can I go back to my own room yet?" 

Result! 

• Like 3

Morning all,

Tired already today as nurse daughter is here putting lining paper on the walls of the spare bedroom in order that Joanna can the instruct me what colour to apply! My arms are still aching from sanding the surfaces and applying dilute PVA, and this morning I've drawn a line round the top of the walls to show where the coving will come to, so the arms currently feel like jelly!

Have to ferry Joanna to the old Victorian 'Essex County Hospital' after lunch for one of her regular eye tests - she suffers from glaucoma and so they like to check her every six months. The drag is that the appointment is for 3.10pm and they never run to time so we will then have to brave the rush hour traffic which is always awful due to the nature of the roads in the 'oldest recorded town' in the UK!

Just been asked what I would like for Christmas and when I suggested that I might get some modelling stuff, there were no raised eyebrows. I need a new cutting mat as well as a few sheets of card etc. so that I can start doing something towards the model I hope to begin in the Spring. I might also sneak in a few more Airfix/Dapol mineral wagon kits (I've still got a couple unbuilt from c.40 years ago!) which I want to bash about to make the static part of the 'coaling stage module'.

Sorry to mention model railways Debs!

Hope everyone manages to get over the hump without trouble and that we hear soon from Sherry or Ian that he safely negotiated the crossing of La Manche.

Can't help thinking about what the family and friends of that unfortunate little girl must be going through.

Kind regards,

Jock.

At least the children are told of the death of a friend in a timely fashion these days. Two from my year group died while in primary ed. (new town, leukemia which was invariably fatal back then) and it was only at the ends of the respective terms that we were told that Harold and Fee would never be seen again. Ironic, because children cope so much better than adults: they mourn immediately, then resume getting on with life's great adventure.

...I think today is the day the heating has to go on. I think the continual wind must suck the heat out of the house as the temperature is no lower outside than it has been but the inside temperature has dropped dramatically. There's a limit to how many clothes you can wear!...

See 'Newton's law of cooling', plus the effect of any air leaks. With Monday supplying a decent North wind in my part of the world I discovered that a window frame had distorted slightly and outside air was rushing in between frame and casement!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I buried (well crematorium) my mum and dad before I was 23, and my brother a few years later so I know some real pain from losing people close and in not pleasant circumstances (that's aside from the more recent FiL and MiL) - I'm not sure what I'd do if anything happened to my lad, I never want to find out so my sympathies to those affected by the youngsters death.

Bright sunny day here today, which is annoying as once again I'm out for a train but the sun will be in the wrong place - I'm a great Britain, I moan about the weather no matter what it does ! I was out early this morning for the empty Northern Belle - very nice with the locos carrying the livery too.

In my quest to find our family history I have come across several members where the date of birth was followed, in the same year, by the date of death. The real eye opener was to then see in one example, in that date of death year, another child born and given the same Christian name. We have come along way from the need to have a large family just to ensure some of them may survive into "old" age, but any early death must be a terrible shock.  

• Like 1

Talking of Child mortality - I have every sympathy.

When I was aged between 5 and 8 years I was close to a neighborhood boy of the same age. His Mother was also very nice to me - in the usual away Mothers often are.

Then during the Summer he sickened rapidly and within four weeks was buried.

I noticed that the Mother was still very civil to mine but she ceased to talk with me. A couple of months later she was over having tea and when my Mum was outside with the tea things I happened to glance at the woman. I was severely frightened because she was glaring at me with a look of real hatred - I can still remember this look vividly in my mind’s eye.

Naturally I never ever mentioned it to my folks and within a short time she and her husband moved away.

I’ve never come to any real conclusion about this.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Talking of Child mortality - I have every sympathy.

When I was aged between 5 and 8 years I was close to a neighborhood boy of the same age. His Mother was also very nice to me - in the usual away Mothers often are.

Then during the Summer he sickened rapidly and within four weeks was buried.

I noticed that the Mother was still very civil to mine but she ceased to talk with me. A couple of months later she was over having tea and when my Mum was outside with the tea things I happened to glance at the woman. I was severely frightened because she was glaring at me with a look of real hatred - I can still remember this look vividly in my mind’s eye.

Naturally I never ever mentioned it to my folks and within a short time she and her husband moved away.

I’ve never come to any real conclusion about this.

Best, Pete.

Probably wished it was you - without any maliciousness towards you as a person, but someone other than her child.

Morning all. After the sombre news yesterday I thought twice about writing something trivial, but we just have to move on. In the last few weeks at work there was a big push to PAT test all the electrical equipment that is used in the departments. It was completed last week, job well done. This week dozens of Christmas trees have appeared all over campus, from being hidden in store cupboards and brought in by individuals and not one has been tested. I imagine a similar scenario in work places all over the country. Lots of them will be in offices where they will be left on at night when the staff go home. And every year there are fires caused by faulty tree lights. So if it applies in your place of work please make sure they are turned off at night, and if they are old lights get them PAT tested. At home we never leave our tree lights on if we leave the house or got to bed. Stay safe and have a good day.

Edited spelling.

We have a rule, which i rigorously enforce - no mains lights, except those on wall warts. And these are on timer switches that I distribute.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

Afternoon all,

Pete, that is a shocking tale but people all seem to handle grief differently. My sister, many years ago, lost a child when late in her pregnancy, her car suspension broke and sent her in to a lamppost- the shock killed the baby before the medics could complete the emergency operation and for a considerable time, she blamed herself despite the fact that the accident was certainly not her fault. Although she already had two daughters, she didn't get back to 'normal' until she gave birth to another son just over a year later! A friend of our grandson's lost her baby at birth and mourned in a strange way - the baby's ashes were put on the mantelpiece and her three year old son was made to say goodnight and good morning to the urn. She even sent cards from her and the boy at birthday, Christmas and the like! Again, she seems to be coming out of it now that she is well through another pregnancy! Makes you wonder what effect her actions had on the little lad. Pete has certainly got a clear recollection of the event after all this time.

Good news thanks Sherry - bet you can't wait!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B

Andy's sad news reminded me of a friend of my mothers.

She and her family lived up the road from us in north London. A daughter and a son older than me (S), a son the same age (M) and a younger son. We moved away and they moved away to different parts of the country.

Approx 20 years ago M died when the stapling machine he was using fired a staple that ricocheted into his heart.

Some 5-10 years later S died when the car he was working on in his garage exploded. His young son was either killed or injured at the same time.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Pete, that is a shocking tale but people all seem to handle grief differently. My sister, many years ago, lost a child when late in her pregnancy, her car suspension broke and sent her in to a lamppost- the shock killed the baby before the medics could complete the emergency operation and for a considerable time, she blamed herself despite the fact that the accident was certainly not her fault. Although she already had two daughters, she didn't get back to 'normal' until she gave birth to another son just over a year later! A friend of our grandson's lost her baby at birth and mourned in a strange way - the baby's ashes were put on the mantelpiece and her three year old son was made to say goodnight and good morning to the urn. She even sent cards from her and the boy at birthday, Christmas and the like! Again, she seems to be coming out of it now that she is well through another pregnancy! Makes you wonder what effect her actions had on the little lad. Pete has certainly got a clear recollection of the event after all this time.

Good news thanks Sherry - bet you can't wait!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Yes grief is dealt with in many different ways.  At work the officers who did death warnings could become the target of complaints even though their conduct was spot on, it just seemed to be that the person needed a target to get through their grief.   My mother lost twin girls who were born prematurely 2 years before I was born, probably due to the as yet undiscovered rhesus factor.   She only ever referred to them as 'the twins' and when our daughter was born would only ever refer to her as 'the little girl'.  I never heard them referred to as my sisters or by the names that I later found out that they had been given.  I suspect that this was mainly down to surpressed grief.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, have just caught up with posts, sad to hear your news Andy.

Yesterday  a nice lunch was had with sister and brother in law in Knutsford after my visit to the GP in the morning. It has all changed with the Drs I knew having retired,indeed on arrival one can book oneself in ( ie confirm arrival) on a computer screen rather than report to the receptionists.

Apparently it was 5 years and 3 months since my last visit much to the new ( well to me) lady GPs amusement who I was booked in with. I explained how my blood pressure was monitored qtly and cholesterol levels 6 monthly without bothering them.

I just needed a mole to be looked at, better safe than sorry but as I thought its ok.

However given she is about 35, five foot ten, willowy and blond I might be reviewing that state of affairs, my dentist now has competition lol!

Trip to the model shop for some paints this morning, and time in the shed giving some thought on lineside fencing which needs to be made/sourced etc.

Quite windy but nothing special...yet

Enjoy whats left of the day

Edited by Shedman5
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I just needed a mole to be looked at, better safe than sorry but as I thought its ok.

However given she is about 35, five foot ten, willowy and blond I might be reviewing that state of affairs,

I bet that makes a right mess of your lawn. :jester:

Hat, coat, gone...............

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

FIrst off, I'm sad to read the news from Andy.  I fully empathise and agree with all the sentiments expressed here today.

Only a short visit, but weather here has been good (relative to elsewhere that is).  Had to go to the dentist and only got caught in two hailstorms.

I'll pop back later if possible.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A little Christmas present for NHN - It'd look good running on Fraggle Rock - I found it on the Railroad Line Forumm http://sidestreet.info/Gallery/Gallery37/Ga37.html I trust that, because I haven't posted a piccie, I shan't upset a certain lady member

Ah, Marc Horovitz's pages are very interesting, I was gutted when he stopped doing any more.

• Like 2