The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well that was a very pleasant and instructive first day. 

4 schools clubbed together to get professional trainers in.

Home in time to prune the raspberry canes back, clear the garage up somewhat and turn my mind to a little bit of modelling.  

• Like 11

Evening All,

Taken in the park below our school this morning:

mobile.77d4ubj.jpg

mobile.766pukc.jpg

mobile.751lson.jpg

mobile.78e7u9u.jpg

mobile.7998u2j.jpg

mobile.8045uj2.jpg

Hadn't noticed the animal enclosures before, actually!

Hmmm, let me see: Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Transport, Transport. I reckon that would save a few bob off the cost of living (and no tax or MoT for the gee-gees!).

Lovely, sunny day today and I had a most enjoyable S&P walk with the Wolfpack at lunch. Come 6pm and the Dowager Duchess's evening constitutional and it was right Brass Monkey Weather (to quote Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange "a flip chill winter bastard though dry").

So my fellow droogs, I make no appy polly loggy for my early retirement this nochy, I'm fashed, so itty bedways, clean the zoobies don my bed platties and a horrorshow zasnoot. Oh deep radosty!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

If I leave posting a little longer, it will be an ER for a change!

Very busy day at work, really busy when we thought it may be quieter. Keeps me out of trouble. 

Thinking of getting some modelling done at last, the US layout has been half ballasted for about 4 years, scenic work ending at the scenic break between the two scenes.  The photos I occasionally post are always of the 'sort of finished' bit, the main part of the layout is what the Americans call a 'Plywood Pacific'.  I keep altering parts of it without much satisfaction, I think I have reached a time when I should just go for it regardless, and then play with trains for a while.

post-10195-0-49244200-1420494040_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Evening all, I hope that your Monday's went well or at least were bearable! My return to school went well enough although most of the class looked like they had had a few too many late nights over the two week break. I am not sure they were too happy to be asked to draft and then redraft a piece of writing this morning and then be hit with a spelling test later in the day. I must have a mean streak hidden away somewhere.

The day was not without a few problems although the issue is not something I can really go into on here, it is very much of the discreet / safeguarding side of the job. I certainly needed the pint of Hobgoblin in the evening.

The Santa Express may have gone, but Amber decided she wanted to rebuild her battery operated Thomas set and, with only a little help from Daddy, built a very nice double balloon looped track so that Percy could travel back and forth with his single carriage to his heart's content. That was until she added Diesel and a set of trucks - she hasn't quite grasped the problems of single track working yet!

Hope all is well out there!

• RMweb Premium

Where is everybody.  Last post 2 hours ago.  I had to scroll down 4 pages to find the link on View New Content.  :jester:

Though I expect someone will pop up while I'm keying this in.

I think I may have given the impression earlier that I would be modelling today.

Hmmm.  Ray was making a noise in the dining room (drilling and stuff) so I played around on the computer in the sitting room, instead.

I'd looked at the Railway Art thread and it inspired me to have a go at adding a bit of smoke to my Christmas card of Camel Quay...then a bit of steam. Took me an age but I got there in the end.  The sequence starts here: #60.

If you've not seen this thread, there are some excellent and interesting portraits of trains and things. I was much impressed. Thumbs up from me. :good:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Well that was a very pleasant and instructive first day. 

4 schools clubbed together to get professional trainers in.

Home in time to prune the raspberry canes back, clear the garage up somewhat and turn my mind to a little bit of modelling.  

Ah!  Somebody who knows about raspberries [edit see below!].  I've got a lot of raspberries growing wild and since I pruned them back they're growing through a raised wall and coming up through the path.  Do you know how to get rid of them?  Please... :tender:  Brambles I can deal with.  I just don't know where to start with the raspberries.

Evening all, well its nearly morning so goodnight all.

G'nite Phil.

EDIT: put back the rest of the letters either side of "p" on the first use of "raspberries".  For some reason, my net book has a habit of doing it's own editing.  :scratchhead:

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Where is everybody. Last post 2 hours ago. I had to scroll down 4 pages to find the link on View New Content. :jester:

Though I expect someone will pop up while I'm keying this in.

I think I may have given the impression earlier that I would be modelling today.

Hmmm. Ray was making a noise in the dining room (drilling and stuff) so I played around on the computer in the sitting room, instead.

I'd looked at the Railway Art thread and it inspired me to have a go at adding a bit of smoke to my Christmas card of Camel Quay...then a bit of steam. Took me an age but I got there in the end. The sequence starts here: #60.

If you've not seen this thread, there are some excellent and interesting portraits of trains and things. I was much impressed. Thumbs up from me. :good:

I am still here but I am cheating being quite a few hours behind and sitting in a bar!!!

post-1557-0-64013800-1420508258_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

Good morning all,  

Is it Friday yet? ??? 

Though in all yesterday went well as it's always a slow start to the year as many have "traveled" and dont start returning until the first working day of the year. 

Be good (if you can) today,

Trev

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and a mild 8oC but the forecast is for a cloudy breezy day with outbreaks of rain and possibly some brighter spells later this morning.

All back to normal as management has returned to work after nearly 2 weeks off so I'm in charge.  :yes:  I will miss her breathing down my neck as I try to keep up on here lively interest in RM web! :derisive: 

Grandchildren went back to school yesterday so they will be visiting later on for feeding time!

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

>koff<

Up early after an early night due to being cream-crackered. Went up to Bermondsey yesterday for babysitting duties, and felt absolutely awful. As soon as we got there Hen started suffering from Dire Rear, as did we later...

The journey up was bad, but coming back was a nightmare. When you have to stand back from three trains because they are too full to get on it would seem that there's a capacity problem on the Overground. The station at Canada Water was clearly too full to be safe for almost an hour.

The ongoing tragi-comedy that is Southern Trains continued. At West Croydon out train was advertised as having four different arrival times and in the end arrived in front of the train it was supposed to be behind... Up trains were being reported as 20 minutes late. It was a mess, but nothing unusual in that.

Still, we had a nice day, even if it cost.

So up early today, waiting for a delivery from Apple (external storage) and trying out a Dremel-type thing I bought from Lidl. Might be fun, might be a disaster. All sorts of things deferred or cancelled, so I can sit and sniff and cough in peace!

Morning All,

It is very dark, and very cold outside this morning.  The temperature is around -4°C.  Still, at least it is clear.

Nothing too much else to report, so time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Not slept well due to shoulder pains...off for a scan tomorrow so hopefully the medical mechanics can, after 3 months of disturbed sleep and pain, sort it.

Otherwise all is well in this part of Leeds at the moment.

Eldest Herbert is off for a pre Viva Viva for the PhD, herself is off teaching....Andyram..ac lot of her pupils had "forgotten" their instruments/music/to practice (delete as appropriate) yesterday.

Youngest Herbert spent yesterday doing a stocktake then "developed" some new cocktails for a drink making contest. Luckily I didn't have to try these as they would probably power my car to the moon.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Baz

• Like 2

Morning all,

Family ready to go out of the front door and we have half-an-hour in hand. Methinks they'll be applying for a lie-in tomorrow. 

Dick, your mention of Southern trains just reminded me of another perk - a stroll to work - a few minutes away at strolling speed. 

Polly, I had the same thing with raspberries. We started off with a few canes and these multiplied sub-terrainianly. Hacking them down seems to have a Medusa effect. I'm reluctant to poison them off just in case they carry on springing back and someone eats the fruit.

Meanwhile the children have been pestering for a pet - the current favourite is a tortoise. I'd prefer a cat, tbh.

Anyway, have a lovely day everyone. Andy

• Like 5

morning all,cool wind but otherwise dry here,good luck baz,if you have any issues we have got some good stuff for seized joints here....still awaiting no2 arrival....missis carnt wait ! as she pointed out last night as jack was jumping allover me there will be 2 doing that soon......might need some body armor me thinks....have a good day all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Shopping today - whoopee!?

It does seem to be taking a long time to plough through the updates each day.

Not a great deal to report today, so I'll just shoot off to see what else is going on here.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 7

We were promised frost and icy roads this morning but, thankfully, they didn't arrive. Looks like being sunshine and showers today (once we get past sunrise!) Managed the walk between showers with a beautiful full moon to guide us.

I think I will ring up the insurance company today to see why the car cover has gone up 21%, seems a bit steep to me. We are on a scheme designed (allegedly) for nursing staff but, although it's not the cheapest on the block, it does include very comprehensive breakdown cover which saves taking out separate cover for that. All the comparison web sites over here seem to be operated by insurance companies and are therefore a bit questionable!

May your wheels turn smoothly this week.

• Like 5

Morning all, a gloomy grey morning at Borough Market Junction. Lots of moans from the users of the terminal platforms at LBG about yesterday's dreadful running; one person found it quicker to walk to Wapping at get a train to Sydenham than wait at LBG. Should please Roundhouse - but only because he's not using LBG this week!

The through platforms timetable changes from next week - and then I can forget a seat on the train for 18 months in all likelihood. Still, as long as I can get on them I'll cope!

Younger Lurker started back at school yesterday - seemed to cope quite well.

Elder starts today - he had a very sleepless night - I think he is a bit down. A bit of difficult age really, we'll keep an eye on him/

FiL has been improving v slowly, although I suspect he shouldn't be drinking that much red wine.....he's out of hospital (before Christmas). We stayed in a local Premier Inn when we went up and saw them between Christmas and New Year.

I have a persistent cough which is more annoying for everyone else than for me.

Have a good day all

• RMweb Premium

Much as I like music, and appreciate Hi-Fi - I wouldn't like to be his neighbour!

Reminds me of my first flat, where the guy dowstairs had a powerful system, with a lot of bass on it, and he played "Another Brick In The Wall" frequently, and it actually caused the floor to vibrate, so loud was it...Even worse was when we lived in a semi, and the guy next door's son started a rock band, and his parents went away for a weekend, so the band decided to have a practice (it wasn't good enough to call it a rehearsal) with high powered amps, PA set and full drum kit.  That was totally unbearable, and resulted in neighbourly relationships ending after we (and other neighbours) complained to Environmental Heath's noise team.

• Like 2