Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It's been a lot of years since I visited San Diego. The highlights for me were the San Diego Safari Park - we got some kind of behind the scenes tour before going on the buggies round the park. It's about an hour outside town, as far as I recall.

The other nice thing was a harbour cruise - good view of the light show in the town.

A favourite of ours is the ferry from the harbour over to Coronado. It's relatively cheap and there's a great brewery over there apart from the great view of the city.

Now back in London after a late departure from O Hare partly due to having to de ice the plane but with a strong tail wind we were nearly an hour early into Heathrow which must have caught out the ground crew as we had a 10 minute wait to get onto he gate.

Absolutely no queue at border control and as we didn't have any checked baggage we were on the Piccadilly line before our scheduled arrival at the gate.

A sunny day here but it's still not quite like being in Ssn a Diego!!

• Like 11

Firstly to deal with DD's question in greater detail (!!!, sorry) - the 'A" signifies a destination in the London Division of the WR, depending on the way the engine is lamped (to indicate the class of train) it is either an individual train number (Class 1 train, Up direction), or a route number (Class 2 train either direction).  Thus if lamped as a Class 1, which it probably is, it would mean in the original application of the system a train in - probably - early/mid afternoon heading to Paddington (and lo & behold in the 1982 timetable that would have been the 13.10 Bristol T.M. - Paddington).

What wonderful and comprehensive knowledge!

That's everything anyone could possibly want to know about it.

I've passed the information on and I'll pass on the glory when it arrives!

• Like 6

Here it is:

"Many many thanks Peter for the information I have always loved this class of loco and was thrilled when it made a guest appearance up here in Yorkshire. I knew if I waited long enough I would get a answer so thanks again"

He didn't have to wait long!

Thanks again, Mike.

• Like 7

So, the skeleton has been mended and it's knee joint is as good as new. And, no, I'm not going to take up surgery if teaching doesn't work out!    :butcher:

Fixing the skull to spine joint was a bit trickier. 

I also didn't realise it has a name until my daughter gave a shout of joy when she saw me bring it's leg into the sitting room. "IS THAT "BOB"? Coooool!"  

• Like 13

Evening. One of those nice almost spring-like Tokyo days which deludes one into thinking winter is on its way out, but as it can snow in April and we had 30cm of the stuff at the end of January last year I'm not putting the snow shovel in storage just yet...

Project Sprog Drop is approaching final egress, a date has been set for artificial induction if the incumbent doesn't pop out of his own accord in the next week or so.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So, my best advice is give yourself a break - we're all human. Actually, I regurgitated that advice from my 10-year old daughter who gave me the same bit of advice on Friday.  Andy

I think it is rather nice when your offspring start offering advice.
  • Like 5

Back from dog walk being blown about sideways. Snack lunch then some modelling. That is after the fire's lit, the carpet vacuumed, the mud cleaned off the sofa, the ... 

May get some done.

And there's a couple of BBC news stories that have been of ER interest in the past.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Horrible here, and we've all had an absolute soaking as a consequence of dog walking - and more is forecast. 

Not a great deal to report today, but as usual, there were pages to catch up on, and I see that we are almost all present and accounted for, excpet for Debs, who hasn't made a contribution for a while, and I recall that somebody posted that she ws poorly, so if you're reading this, Debs, get well soon, and we all look forward to hearing from you with a post or two.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I think it best not to click on any sort of response to that in view of the occasional presence of one of mine on this part of the forum ;)

Matthew did say that it was good that we got on well as he would be the one choosing our care homes one day. I'm not totally sure Aditi really appreciated the humour initially.

• Like 2

Was it called Bob because of the way his head moved?

I think "William Wallace" would have been more appropriate.  :butcher:

Evening. One of those nice almost spring-like Tokyo days which deludes one into thinking winter is on its way out, but as it can snow in April and we had 30cm of the stuff at the end of January last year I'm not putting the snow shovel in storage just yet...

Project Sprog Drop is approaching final egress, a date has been set for artificial induction if the incumbent doesn't pop out of his own accord in the next week or so.

#1 child was induced. Well, she was once I showed the midwife how the pump worked. She tried the standard BS on me when nothing happened. "It's battery operated, but if you insist we can switch it on at the wall, too." About a minute later swmbo "indicated" that the appropriate fluid was now flowing. She indicated it quite loudly, if memory serves me correctly. LOL

I'm surprised she waited as long as 10 years. ;) 

• Like 4

Hmmmm..... I wasn’t there but I would have sent 6 into supermarket initially -  another smaller group thru the goods entrance, if there was one. Not as many as I saw on Newsreel, looked rather crowded and dangerous.

But then, I was not there...

Best, Pete.

Late today - feeling a little fragile and in need of a nap after a nice dinner with SiL and her husband last evening, too much wine ( Q1: is that really possible???) :jester:

Woken too early this morning by the construction crew next door (Q2: Who works construction on SUNDAY???) :O

Managed more track laying yesterday too, and I'm now down to just about ONE YARD of track left to lay to complete ALL the track planned.. woo hoo :senile:

Later today off to see our friend who lost his wife Tuesday, then out to dinner with "kids".

-11 overcast and no breeze right now, but gearing up for another couple of very cold overnights, -21 then -23 by all accounts...

Have a great remainder of the weekend all you ERs.

• Like 2

I think it best not to click on any sort of response to that in view of the occasional presence of one of mine on this part of the forum ;)

*Rushes to the Agree button*

Mind you I do give good advice most of the time. Must take after my mum...

• Like 11

Miss bb regards me as the ultimate arbiter: "My Dad knows everything".

Mind you, I think that she must have noticed that some of the knowledge seems to have leaked away, recently ...

• Like 6

Evening all,

Utterly, utterly bushed after setting up on Friday and breaking down the St Albans Show tonight. I then have a two hour journey home. Early riser tomorrow? I don't think so, it may be all day in bed!

Bill

• RMweb Gold

I've just received the sad news that Steve Warrington who ran Back 2 Bay 6 has passed away.

Steve and I went back a long way both as soldiers and garden railwaymen.

Funnily enough, we both washed up in Shropshire when we retired from the military.

I shall miss him.

Too tired to post now this morning but I felt that I had to say how sorry I am to hear of your loss Richard - seems increasingly to have become part of life as one gets older. The only way to avoid the hurt of course is not to have any friends at all. RIP.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

I take your point, Jock; the sorrow of bereavement is something that has to be faced as part of a full life. And, as Samuel Johnson said to Joshua Reynolds:

"If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair." Of course, you are of the kind that gladly follows this practice.

Regards, Gordon.

• Like 4