Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Glad the local avian fraternity are finally getting the idea and I'll leave it to the schoolboys on the back row to make the obvious joke about the type of bird and what it likes!

So where are the coconuts, then?

Signed A bit old to be a schoolboy!

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back after a chilly trip out and having duly walked Lily round Grange-Over-Sands, now home and lighting the stove to get things a bit warmed up. 

Not really a lot to report here today, but I have had a scout round and caught up now, and as usual, it's a blanket wish to everybody.  Just single out Jock's post about being a cancer buddy, which moved me.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I find that Tits respond well to a variety of seedy ideas.

They are fond of a big stick to hold on to as well.

But what impressed me is the lens. Nikon launched this model in 1969, an 80-200mm f4.5 zoom, the like of which had never been seen before in 35 mm photography, as it weighs less than a kilo, but was very expensive. This example is actually circa 1977, yet works with a 2015 DSLR to quite good effect.

Ian,

Had one of these lens - probably the best lens I've every owned. Bought in 1977, it got dropped in 1996 and despite a Nikon repair was never the same afterwards.

Still prevaricating about a 70-200 f4 to compliment my D600 / 20mm/ / 60 macro / 24-120 / 80-400 setup.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 2

.... But what impressed me is the lens. Nikon launched this model in 1969, an 80-200mm f4.5 zoom, the like of which had never been seen before in 35 mm photography, as it weighs less than a kilo, but was very expensive...

Good glass is good glass. Among other items I have a Canon 85 f1.8 which is practically on the aperture diffraction limit for aerial resolution. And then the unspeakable bar stewards dropped the excellent FD mount when they went digital...

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Had one of these lens - probably the best lens I've every owned. Bought in 1977, it got dropped in 1996 and despite a Nikon repair was never the same afterwards.

Still prevaricating about a 70-200 f4 to compliment my D600 / 20mm/ / 60 macro / 24-120 / 80-400 setup.

Regards,

Dave

Dave - I've just picked up a secondhand 70-200 f4 and on my D750 the focus is lightning fast. It also weighs not much more than half of the 80-200 f2.8 it is replacing in my bag. The 70-200 f4 does not lose focal length at closer distances, too, unlike the current 70-200 f2.8. 

Good glass is good glass. Among other items I have a Canon 85 f1.8 which is practically on the aperture diffraction limit for aerial resolution. And then the unspeakable bar stewards dropped the excellent FD mount when they went digital...

Yes, Nikon may have compromised themselves in keeping the same lens mount since 1960, but Canon have dumped on their customers twice in that time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My new loco arrived unexpectedly today. The postie delivered even though according to the Royal Mail computer it hadn't reached the delivery office. Not in anyway a complaint!

I hadn't made much (any really) space on my desk so I moved a few bits around to reveal the programming track and then removed the body to access the DCC socket. I did this on the dining table as I stood more chance of finding any bits that flew off. I did have a small decoder. There isn't a huge amount of space inside some of the Hornby loco drive Pacifics.

Tony

• Like 12

Evening all, been a busy day including my rail trip across to Glasgow for a meeting.

I've had a variety of Canon SLR bodies (both 35mm and digital), but the first lens I got was a Tamron 28-200mm lens which I still use - it's a cracking lens for the price I paid for it along with a second hand 35mm EOS whatever-it-was.  I've got a couple more lenses since, a Canon 50mm, a Canon 75-300 (which I'm not as fond of) and a Canon 18-55 (I think).  While the Tamron is far slower than the new Canon 18-55, its versatility is superb.

• Like 3

A weirdness has occurred.

I have discovered that if you use Halford's  Plastic Primer to prime some plastic but don't worry about keeping your thumb out of the way, you get a grey thumb.

If you then scrub your thumb with a nailbrush to get the paint off, it comes off the skin dead easy like, but sticks like paint to the nail.

Like this.

post-17799-0-09229200-1423073681.jpg

I've never worn nail varnish, so it feels very weird. My own thumb keeps making me jump a little bit.

In other news, Solomon hasn't finished because he's not achieved absolute perfection in a couple of places.

Oh, and I am definitely strangling the candidate.

• Like 7

Did it not happen some time before they went digital. When I changed to digital SLR in 2003. I was able to use lenses that I had bought  over ten years earlier.

I may have posted this before. I think all the other people waiting to have their photo taken were about 3 years old! This was the closest we got to a bear in Canada.

attachicon.gifbear2.jpg

It's used to be more difficult to get close to grizzlies in Canada as they tended to close trails where they had been sighted (and it was an offence to then use them), whereas just across the border in the USA they just posted warning notices. That was 16 years ago, things may have changed since then.

Did it not happen some time before they went digital. When I changed to digital SLR in 2003. I was able to use lenses that I had bought over ten years earlier.

Yes - I had 2 SLRs that both used the EF fitting long before DSLRs came out - an EOS3 and an EOS 500N. Since then I've had a 400D and a Kiss X4 (550D).

• RMweb Gold
Killybegs, on 04 Feb 2015 - 20:13, said:

Did it not happen some time before they went digital. When I changed to digital SLR in 2003. I was able to use lenses that I had bought  over ten years earlier.

When I first took up photography about 1969, Canon had a "breechlock" lens mount on their well-regarded FTQL (I think the QL stood for "Quick Load", which mattered in film days!). Then about 1971 they announced the F1, a full range of modular camera and lenses with the pro-market-leading Nikon F firmly in its sights. This had the FD mount. It took some time for sales to pick up on the FD system, but some great cameras were produced - A1, AE1, the T-series etc. Then autofocus was developed in the mid-80s, and they dumped FD for EOS.

But were then nevertheless still supporting the FD mount for their system cameras, rather than the toy town sideline.

See, when I bought into the Canon system forty odd years ago, the FD mount was advertised as future proof. Technically still the best that has ever been offered, and eminently suited to autofocus provision too. But they lost their integrity as a business, and chose to blow their customers off.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, and not so chilly today, with -2 to greet us this morning and it's down to about the same now.

Off tomorrow as Mrs H has her it-may-or-may-not-be carpal tunnel operation tomorrow.  Just day surgery, going private to save 10 month wait - we can't have another summer as bad as last year, we are determined to shake off the memory.  Going private hurts the morals of this NHS ex-employee but as needs must, although it is hitting us at a time we can ill afford it really. Such is life, just have to get on with it.  Not sure what happens if it makes no difference so if the problem isn't carpal related, they are very unsure about it, a professor from England had a look and professed he didn't know! 

All pales into insignificance when thinking about Jock and his friend. :heart_mini:

• RMweb Gold

It's also called acting responsibly like a good citizen. I really can't imagine driving past someone in distress and not offering to help.

It was a dark and stormy night... smile.gif 

It's 1am about 25 years ago, and I'm driving home in the Land-Rover along a lonely country road. It comes to my attention that there is a Mini upside down in the ditch with its wheels still revolving. So I stop and get out, at which point a young woman crawls out of the ditch, comes running towards me, throws her arms around me and says "the very thing I need". No not me -- the Land-Rover.

She then explains that she is a reporter from the Daily Express, that she has got to be in Brecon by 3am, and can we please get a move on in getting her car back on the road. So I turn the Land-Rover round, get some rope out of the back, and tie on by torchlight. My protests that this is going to do even more damage to the car are waved away.

By this time two other motorists have stopped, so I send them to stop approaching traffic while the Land-Rover and rope are across both sides of the road, and pull the Mini out. The three of us are then able to roll the battered Mini back on to its wheels. At which point the young lady jumps straight back in, starts the engine, and with a wave and a thank you through the shattered driver's window, roars off into the night. Leaving the three of us wondering what could possibly be happening in Brecon at 3am? Or any other time come to that.

Martin.

• Like 2