Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I was at the dentists the other night.

He did his usual plaque and sundry item removal

It felt like a great unscrewing.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A carp nights sleep. Maybe its the lack of beer since last Monday.

Managed to get to sleep about 30 minutes before I needed to get up and finish some work off for the layout as its at Chatham tomorrow.

Last night I was busy (which normally menas I sleep well) swapping boards over and loading them as tonight is meant to be extremely wet and stormy.

Also fitted another CCTV camera to replace an old one. Over night it kept sending emails of the plant moving so another task this morning was to adjust the sensitivty. Seems to be Ok now as only one email showing me leaving the house!!

This new system is clever bit of kit once its all set up. My other half wants one camera to do 'Animal watch' of the garden to pick up the cats, foxes etc!!!

Hopefully our directors do a POETS day this afternoon which means the rest of us can also dissappear. A trip down to TNT to pick up some blinds for the conservatory then load any remaining items for tomorrows show.

• Like 13

Andrew, no egg-sucking lessons intended, let your own relationship with the client build a little bit and as he/she sees that you can do good work remotely you might be able to get his/her agreement to an increase in the amount of it you can do. There will always be meetings for which your personal presence is required but I'm sure a lot of your work is 'pooter based and therefore your physical location becomes irrelevant. I love my one day a week working from home, I get a lot done.

Cheers Colin. The issue in this case is rather complex. On one hand they want the body physically present to "prove" to the client that we aren't just offshoring the work to Outerdumfukistan. On the other they are deliberately keeping me hidden in a box and off the meeting calendars in order to maximise efficiency and keep me away from the client so that I can get actual work done. Truth be told I get more accomplished on the train via wifi in the 6 hours travelling to/from Swansea than I do in the 4 full days on site. Oh well, the client is paying the travel, hotel, and meals so as they say, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Morning all. A very quick visit and then I'll catch up properly later.

Two more potential local clients to see this morning, so things are looking up.

Great to see Debs put in an appearance. Certainly brightened up my day.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 11

morning all. There are white clouds thinly covering the blue skies over Borough Market Junction.

Anotehr busy day ahead. Spreadsheet king has called a meeting for 3 minutes time but has failed to book a room or prepare properly for it. Bodes well!

I see there have been 8 replies to ERS while I caught up. So more catching up to do.

Enjoy your day

Morning all,

The light rain forecast for late afternoon has rescheduled itself and upped its performance.

Hey, ho, as I replanted some foilage yesterday I can't complain.

Quick spin around the forum before having to get stuck in to a mound of paperwork from our dear servants in Whitehall who insist the world will stop spinning if it isn't filled in in triplicate.

Vogon Constructor Fleet. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thanks Robert for those excellent pics, took me back over 40 years ago when I visited that part of Germany. I stayed with German friends in Oppau, a suburb of Ludwigshafen-am-Rhein. Highlight of my first stay was a trip to Bad Durkheim by the tramway/light railway (interurban?) that connected with the interlinked Mannheim/Ludwigshafen system. At the time it was a fascinating system using articulated (Dewag?) cars, it left Mannheim using the street tracks but as soon as it was in open countryside it became a double track 'main line' where the cars moved at considerable speed. But when the line came to a village it went down to a single track wending its way through the village street(s). As the cars were single ended the terminus at Bad Durkheim was a large loop with various sidings some of which were occupied by wagons loaded with grapes (it is a wine growing region) the wagons appeared to be converted from old tramcars going by the low frames, rather like a bus converted to a lorry, I saw no sign of whatever hauled these wagons alas. It was also possible to travel east to Heidelberg by another connected tram system meaning that it was possible to travel a considerable distance (IIRC 50 to 60 kilometres) from Bad Durkheim to Heidelberg entirely by tram using the rails of only five systems, something I wanted to do but alas was never able too.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Cloudy and light rain - the sort that's good for the garden (I'm told).  Lovely to see Debs confirming her presence - trust the collies are keeping well.  Nice pics Robert - I used to stay in Mainz when visiting DB HQ in Frankfurt but of course I was seeing both the city and that bridge from different viewpoints (and a very different viewpoint after a post-meeting evening drinking session in Mainz with German and Belgian colleagues - bad enough going drinking with the Belgians, but throw in the Germans as well and alcohol consumption took on an even more serious approach).

Have a  good day one and all and have a nice hols Jamie

• Like 16

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thanks Robert for those excellent pics, took me back over 40 years ago when I visited that part of Germany. I stayed with German friends in Oppau, a suburb of Ludwigshafen-am-Rhein. Highlight of my first stay was a trip to Bad Durkheim by the tramway/light railway (interurban?) that connected with the interlinked Mannheim/Ludwigshafen system. At the time it was a fascinating system using articulated (Dewag?) cars, it left Mannheim using the street tracks but as soon as it was in open countryside it became a double track 'main line' where the cars moved at considerable speed. But when the line came to a village it went down to a single track wending its way through the village street(s). As the cars were single ended the terminus at Bad Durkheim was a large loop with various sidings some of which were occupied by wagons loaded with grapes (it is a wine growing region) the wagons appeared to be converted from old tramcars going by the low frames, rather like a bus converted to a lorry, I saw no sign of whatever hauled these wagons alas. It was also possible to travel east to Heidelberg by another connected tram system meaning that it was possible to travel a considerable distance (IIRC 50 to 60 kilometres) from Bad Durkheim to Heidelberg entirely by tram using the rails of only five systems, something I wanted to do but alas was never able too.

A few lunatics friends and I spent a very happy day doing just that trip. And could prove that British Railwaymen were just as good at holding our beer as our DB counterparts. Next day in the office our boss asked what had we done over the weekend. On hearing about our jaunt and how long it took, he looked at the DB timetable and spent the next week wondering if he had sad cases working for him.

Germany in those days was a paradise for rail enthusiasts.

Mike

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A few lunatics friends and I spent a very happy day doing just that trip. And could prove that British Railwaymen were just as good at holding our beer as our DB counterparts. Next day in the office our boss asked what had we done over the weekend. On hearing about our jaunt and how long it took, he looked at the DB timetable and spent the next week wondering if he had sad cases working for him.

Germany in those days was a paradise for rail enthusiasts.

Mike

Interesting to know how long it took. And is it possible to do the same trip today?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Thunderstorms overnight, with welcome rain.

Sorry to hear Jock is under the weather on top of his other issues. Little experience of younger children, but their carriage of little bugs is no surprise, and the fondness a number of ERs show for their offspring's offspring makes this a risky area.

Very sorry to hear Mrs TG needs chemo. No-one is offered this for the fun of it, and I hope it succeeds.

As noted above - Le Mans week. Sherry and I set off for the Wednesday free practice session, and Sherry was suitably impressed with the facilities and the track and cars. We wandered up to and over the Dunlop Bridge and a bit beyond, and had a bite to eat. The practice finished at 8, and there were then two hours to the first Qualification session. I was feeling a bit flaky - a bit of a sore throat and a muzzy head - and so we decided to pull stumps. Yesterday I felt better, and the symptoms disappeared, but we decided to give second Quali a miss. As it turned out, the Porsches laid down a gauntlet that first night that was not trumped even in yesterday's two sessions, which were probably a bit compromised by weather conditions, I suspect. And Jan Magnusson wrote off a works Corvette C7R - only three specimens in captivity, all at Le Mans - due to a mechanical failure, apparently. Today is the Drivers' Parade around Le Mans city centre, which was exhausting a decade ago, and I haven't been since. So we set off tomorrow really early for the race, to beat the inevitable queues.

In the meantime a trip to Lidl is called for, not least for Sherry to pick up a dozen bottles of cheap fizz - so her ex can pay corkage on them at his wedding in September.... The initials FFS come to mind. Some people just lack style.

Hope your week winding down well, and the weekend does the biz for you too.

Interesting to know how long it took. And is it possible to do the same trip today?

We did break our journey at suitable "watering holes", a case of off one, down a beer, on the next. It was in the late '70s so my recall is not that good. I think the trip should be do-able still.

Mike

• Like 2

Morning all from sunny Scottish HQ.  On the definite downward slope to the weekend now and planning a significant POETS day today (hoping to leave in 2 and a half hours).

Thanks for the link to Kames Castle.  I'll be putting a couple of quid on for tonight just in case.  So long as I find somewhere with an outbuilding that's good for a model railway from my lottery winnings, I'll be happy.  (I can dream...)  On the plus side, new GF has promised me a garden railway if we get a place together in due course!

Heading down to Durham this afternoon, new GF is meeting the parents for the first time, then we're going on a riverboat trip along the Wear.  It's set nice for the evening but thunderstorms due overnight.  It's Durham Regatta tomorrow so the river should be heaving with sculls, double sculls, pairs, fours, quad sculls and eights tonight!  Let's hope the thunderstorms don't bring a significant rise in river levels for the regatta tomorrow.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

On the plus side, new GF has promised me a garden railway if we get a place together in due course!

If she and the parents do get on, make her an offer soonest. You'll wait a long time to get another one that makes promises like that!

• Like 3

A quick visit to update myself on the goings on of ER's.

Pete - I honestly didn't know whether to give your post a Funny of Friendly / Supportive rating.

TG - Really sorry to hear Mrs TG needs chemo. I hope it is effective.

Mike - I hope the weekend in Durham isn't spoilt by the weather. It also sounds like she's a keeper.

• Like 8

Got back home earlier on and there was an Ambulance service car parked ouside my house. I knew it wasn't for me for once so my thoughts turned to my neighbours who are in their 80's. Turned out to be for the other side whose little lad was poorly. The Paramedic put it down to a mixture of tiredness and mild sun stroke (it has been very warm here today), so called for an Ambo to take him + Mum to hospital. Dad is working in Edinboro' this week, luckily Great-Grandparents are just around the corner. I have of course offered to help in any way I can.

Be careful in the sun, especially little'uns.

Ed

PS can't spell Edinboro'

Update. He is fine, but Mum still looks as white as a sheet.Apparently it was a reaction to a new medication, probably exascerbated (SP) by the above factors.

Ed

Morning all. A rare outbreak of sunshine on the North Norfolk coast. 'Tis the time of year when motorhomes appear and outnumber almost every other vehicle on the road.

Just witnessed an altercation between my neighbour (opposite) and the driver of a rather large Peugeot-based detached des-res. There are no parking restrictions of any kind opposite me and there are usually vehicles parked on one side of the Holway Road as far as the eye can see. My neighbour doesn't like anything larger than a Smart car parked outside her house as it stops her being nosey obstructs her view of the street. The driver of the mobile mansion obviously doesn't want to pay for the car/caravan park closer to the town/seafront. Little sympathy for either of them, but amusing to watch, nonetheless.

In other news, I gave my son the simple task of picking up a roll of cheap pound-shop masking tape while he was in town getting his unruly barnet strimmed.

He's just returned and said "I couldn't remember what you wanted so I got bleach. Is that ok?"...

Close but definitely no cigar. With a day off school mid-exams, he's now firmly entrenched back on the sofa with headphones, tablet and trademark vacant expression. Little does he know I have some chores lined up for later.

I've learnt two things this morning...

One: my son simply doesn't listen, and Two: bleach is obviously not an age-restricted product. Actually, I kinda knew the first one...

Enjoy your Friday.

I take it from this that you son has managed to remember to have said unruly barnet trimmed.  Which is some sort of success in itself, when judged by the admittedly abysmal standards set by elder Lurker

• Like 6

Morning all

Thunderstorms overnight, with welcome rain.

Sorry to hear Jock is under the weather on top of his other issues. Little experience of younger children, but their carriage of little bugs is no surprise, and the fondness a number of ERs show for their offspring's offspring makes this a risky area.

Very sorry to hear Mrs TG needs chemo. No-one is offered this for the fun of it, and I hope it succeeds.

As noted above - Le Mans week. Sherry and I set off for the Wednesday free practice session, and Sherry was suitably impressed with the facilities and the track and cars. We wandered up to and over the Dunlop Bridge and a bit beyond, and had a bite to eat. The practice finished at 8, and there were then two hours to the first Qualification session. I was feeling a bit flaky - a bit of a sore throat and a muzzy head - and so we decided to pull stumps. Yesterday I felt better, and the symptoms disappeared, but we decided to give second Quali a miss. As it turned out, the Porsches laid down a gauntlet that first night that was not trumped even in yesterday's two sessions, which were probably a bit compromised by weather conditions, I suspect. And Jan Magnusson wrote off a works Corvette C7R - only three specimens in captivity, all at Le Mans - due to a mechanical failure, apparently. Today is the Drivers' Parade around Le Mans city centre, which was exhausting a decade ago, and I haven't been since. So we set off tomorrow really early for the race, to beat the inevitable queues.

In the meantime a trip to Lidl is called for, not least for Sherry to pick up a dozen bottles of cheap fizz - so her ex can pay corkage on them at his wedding in September.... The initials FFS come to mind. Some people just lack style.

Hope your week winding down well, and the weekend does the biz for you too.

Le Mans... something I've been wanting to 'do' for ages but have ever got around to! As is to be expected, some of the car forums I'm on are fizzing with interest over LM and it just makes me want to go all the more, not just the main race but I'd love to go to the classic some day too. No work tonight so I'll make do with the Steve McQueen film for now. The trouble with watching this lovely old period piece is that 'Porsche fever' kicks in soon afterwards...! It's amazing to think that for the price of a five door hatchback you can go out and buy a mid engined, two seater Cayman with low-ish miles and full service history, and you can use it everyday.... ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9

As the beautiful young creature washed my hair yesterday evening she observed that I had more hair than her 20 y.o. boyfriend. (She was subtle enough not to mention 'considering your advanced years'.) See, that's what uncompromising parenting gets you: a short back and sides, no arguments if you want your allowance! Pa's theory was that long male hair leads to early fall out. It wasn't a subject on which debate was entertained.

Waiting for the promised rain, drained the waterbutts almost completely over the past week.

... Spreadsheet king has called a meeting for 3 minutes time but has failed to book a room or prepare properly for it. Bodes well!...

Opportunity knocks. You can get everything you want processed onto the agenda.

• Like 9

Phil, I recall that a couple of 4 wheeler diesel loco's were used for both ballast trains and the odd bit of freight. I have spent an hour or so (a clear choice of helping with the housework or a bit of rail study) hoping to find a bit of information. No luck, sorry.

Mike

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

"Pa's theory was that long male hair leads to early fall out."

Fall out of hair or falling out with Pa?

Mine's been long for most of the last 48 years. It's now receding at the front and a bit thin on top but there's no bald patch. No history of baldness on either side of the family; all the men I can think of lived to their 80s or 90s with sufficient hair to cover their heads (without a comb-over!). On the other hand I've known people who were largely bald in their early 20s. So I reckon it's genetic. 

Dull here with occasional showers but heavy rain and thunder are forecast for later. Anorak (!) today I think.

Pete

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As the beautiful young creature washed my hair yesterday evening she observed that I had more hair than her 20 y.o. boyfriend. (She was subtle enough not to mention 'considering your advanced years'.) See, that's what uncompromising parenting gets you: a short back and sides, no arguments if you want your allowance! Pa's theory was that long male hair leads to early fall out. It wasn't a subject on which debate was entertained.

Waiting for the promised rain, drained the waterbutts almost completely over the past week.

Opportunity knocks. You can get everything you want processed onto the agenda.

Didn't happen with me, went several years with an annual trim. My girlfriend at the time was very jealous as my hair was longer than hers and I didn't get split ends. Then after a drunken night in Huddersfield I joined the police and had to get it cut 3 times in a fortnight. 41 years later I've still got a good Barnett though the colour seems to have gone I know not where.

Jamie

• Like 5